WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Nean View Post
    How can it possibly be rude to set up a tent in a empty shelter?
    I guess you'd consider it rude to fart in the woods too?
    uh,, I think it has been mentioned more than once here on White Blaze that the Shelters are pretty much full during season..I would say it is rude..

It's the same token as when a guy drives a F-350, has a handicap parking sticker and decides that it is ok to park in ALL the handicap parking places, just because no one else is using them...

I guess I am one who is considerate to other people and hikers..I guess on my next hike I will just be the opposite, I am going to set up my tent at !:00 in the afternoon because it is too early for anyone else to hike in.. I am going to cook, clean, **** and do all my hygenical things IN the spring.. I am also going to leave all my CRAP sitting around for others to take out..When other hikers come in I am going to tell them I have reserved the shelter and they have to find another place to sleep, and I don't care if your ancle is spranged, your not going to fix it at MY reserved shelter..IT'S MINE!!!

Yep, Vern, thats just what I am going to do..
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Graywolf View Post
    Why do you hikers always put down new bie hikers..You were one at one time to, don't you remember..We all have to start somewhere...
    I did absolutely no such thing.

I was not, in any way at all, passing judgement on new hikers. New hikers are, understandably, not going to be as comfortable (as a general rule) as seasoned hikers are in the woods. The shelters add a sense of comfort that makes it easier for them to go out into the woods. More hikers = greater impact, but that's no reflection on the hikers themselves.

So, re-read what I posted.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

How can it possibly be rude to set up a tent in a empty shelter?
    Because it might not be "empty" any more 5 hours from now. Or 5 minutes from now. You have no way of knowing.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Because it might not be "empty" any more 5 hours from now. Or 5 minutes from now. You have no way of knowing.
    Just like I don't know if this is my last day or the end of the world! I don't- but I can make a darn good judgement.

Consider: you haven't seen a soul on the trail for 3 days, it's 10 degrees and falling, wind is howling around 40mph, and its darkthirty, and you're sharing the heat of a good looking gal.

SORRY, rudeness ain't part of the equation and besides- I'm just not that stupid. Even if folks DID show up- it would ONLY be RUDE if they didn't have room and/or I didn't make room.

So to answer the question---- Yes, it is ok to let loose in the woods, yet it would be rude at the dinner table. Hope this splains thangs.

Images

Just like I don't know if this is my last day or the end of the world! I don't- but I can make a darn good judgement.

Consider: you haven't seen a soul on the trail for 3 days, it's 10 degrees and falling, wind is howling around 40mph, and its darkthirty, and you're sharing the heat of a good looking gal.

SORRY, rudeness ain't part of the equation and besides- I'm just not that stupid. Even if folks DID show up- it would ONLY be RUDE if they didn't have room and/or I didn't make room.

So to answer the question---- Yes, it is ok to let loose in the woods, yet it would be rude at the dinner table. Hope this splains thangs.
    I had that happen - myself and one other hiker had the L/T to ourselves - Saw no on on the section of trail we were on for 3 days. I decided to bag out on the 3rd day close to dusk (7:30PM). He was contemplating a night alone with his journal in the L/T. About 1/2 mile from the L/T I ran into about 15 boy scouts straggling in through the rain. Now I axe you - how good would your judgement have been 5 minutes before coming upon those scouts......
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Bingo.......

But, a free-standing tent can be moved rather quickly should the troops arrive. You better be prepared to move.......and move FAST.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

15 boy scouts should be expecting to tent.

uh,, I think it has been mentioned more than once here on White Blaze that the Shelters are pretty much full during season..I would say it is rude..

It's the same token as when a guy drives a F-350, has a handicap parking sticker and decides that it is ok to park in ALL the handicap parking places, just because no one else is using them...

I guess I am one who is considerate to other people and hikers..I guess on my next hike I will just be the opposite, I am going to set up my tent at !:00 in the afternoon because it is too early for anyone else to hike in.. I am going to cook, clean, **** and do all my hygenical things IN the spring.. I am also going to leave all my CRAP sitting around for others to take out..When other hikers come in I am going to tell them I have reserved the shelter and they have to find another place to sleep, and I don't care if your ancle is spranged, your not going to fix it at MY reserved shelter..IT'S MINE!!!

The brush you paint with is much to broad.

One must consider that I'm not talking in season or to stop hiking in the middle of the day or staking a claim.

Maybe you haven't done a lot of winter hiking on the AT ?

Of course the behavior YOU are talking about would be rude Graywolf!!

I have read in more than just a few journals of hikers, especially thru-hikers that set their tents up inside a shelter..What does this accomplish except for taking up space for other hikers who may need the shelter..

I really think it is inconsiderate, but the I guess thats me...But don't you think it would be wise to set the tent up out side so those who need the shelter have space...

Graywolf
    Yes, it is inconsiderate.
    Maybe they want to keep the floor (of their tent) clean? Maybe they don't want to walk in the rain to cook their meal?
    Whatever the reason, it isn't a good one.
    If they feel the three walls will keep them safe from evil beasties, they don't belong in the woods.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by Hyway View Post
    15 boy scouts should be expecting to tent.
    Everyone should be prepared for that. Why would a Boy Scout be any different than any other hiker?
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

I don't know the size of the shelter Toolshed was talking about, but if it was less than a 15 person shelter then the troop leader should be expecting the kids to tent.

I have never set up a tent in a shelter, but I have been in shelters that were nearly empty all night long and I don't even hike that much. Surely many of the shelters are empty more nights than they are full. How does it hurt someone else just knowing tat somewhere out there someone has a tent set up in a near empty shelter.

Quote Originally Posted by Toolshed View Post
    I had that happen - myself and one other hiker had the L/T to ourselves - Saw no on on the section of trail we were on for 3 days. I decided to bag out on the 3rd day close to dusk (7:30PM). He was contemplating a night alone with his journal in the L/T. About 1/2 mile from the L/T I ran into about 15 boy scouts straggling in through the rain. Now I axe you - how good would your judgement have been 5 minutes before coming upon those scouts......
    What time of year? Sounds like hiker " in " season if it's still not dark, at 7:30, up north. I'd say chances are good someone would show up. It's still not rude unless your friend didn't make room.

Another example: I take up 3 spaces in the shelter if it empty or there is plenty of room. That isn't rude is it?
    It would be if I didn't move if someone needed the space! But you folks saying it's rude regaurdless are assuming there is no such thing as common sense--- which now that I've read your post- am leaning that way- lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Hyway View Post
    I don't know the size of the shelter Toolshed was talking about, but if it was less than a 15 person shelter then the troop leader should be expecting the kids to tent.

I have never set up a tent in a shelter, but I have been in shelters that were nearly empty all night long and I don't even hike that much. Surely many of the shelters are empty more nights than they are full. How does it hurt someone else just knowing tat somewhere out there someone has a tent set up in a near empty shelter.
    The question wasn't about whether it hurt other hikers, psychologically or physically - excepting in real bad weather when incoming hikers aren't properly prepared - it was, "Is it inconsiderate.............."
    Yes. It does not "consider" the "needs" of others, real or imagined, to have access to that particular shelter.
    I don't sleep in shelters, so it makes absolutely no difference to me (or most other hikers), but it still is not "considerate".
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

In the adirondacks of NY, the erection of tents inside leantos is prohibited by law. http://www.dec.ny.gov/regs/4081.html#12998

Images

Whats worse...the person who sets up a tent in a shelter or the hiker that shows up at midnite expecting to sleep in the shelter?

Which is just another way of pointing out that if you set up a tent in a shelter you have no idea if you are taking that space away from anyone.

I sleep in the woods. Ya'll do whatever.
    Obviously, if I am setting up my tent in a shelter, and I am taking up all the space, then I don't set it up. This is common sense. Again, the only time it is rude to set up a tent in a shelter is if you are taking space away from someone that needs it.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Whats the big deal. Person assumes they have the shelter to them self due to season or location, size of shelter, whatever. They set up tent for drying, little extra warmth or bug protection in shelter for whatever reason. If other hikers show up and tent causes space problem, take down tent and make room.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Toolshed View Post
    We hashed this out in another forum. I think the general opinion was essentially that if you are setting your tent up in a shelter and clinging to lame excuses such as it's not yet full, or the bugs were biting (Would the bugs not be thwarted if you set up your tent outside the shelter?) or you didn't want the tent to get wet in the rain, then you are generally viewed as a packsniffer or a total incompetent. (maybe we should start a poll here........
    Sorry Toolshed, but I am not a total incompetent, nor am I a packsniffer. Again, the only reason to bitch about tents in a shelter is to hear yourself bitch. Common sense is all that is needed.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SassyWindsor View Post
    Shelters give the illiterate hiker a place to scribe symbols/hieroglyphs so as to communicate with fellow hikers.

Tent's in shelters, shrink-wrapped shelters, smokers, dogs, criminals etc, etc, etc.

I believe the shelters attract more than a few people who would most likely never go on the trail. With this comes the folks who think LNT is a recreational drug.

My most unpleasant time(s) on the AT have been in proximity of a shelter. I always stealth camp and steer clear of these a$$hole infested rat resorts.

Nice,, real nice, now people who stay at shelters are a$$holes??? Hope I don't ever have the pleasure of hiking with you.

Images

Again, common sense is called for when deciding to set up in a shelter or not. Don't be such a dick

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TD55 View Post
    Whats the big deal. Person assumes they have the shelter to them self due to season or location, size of shelter, whatever. They set up tent for drying, little extra warmth or bug protection in shelter for whatever reason. If other hikers show up and tent causes space problem, take down tent and make room.

Exactly. Once again, it is called common sense folks. It isn't rude or inconsiderate unless you are taking space away from someone. Taking "potential" space away from someone who isn't even there, well that's just plain silly. You can't take space away from someone that isn't there. When and if someone gets there, and you don't make room, then and only then are you being rude and inconsiderate. Jeez people, don't y'all have any common sense?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++