WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

This has become a rediculous thread.. I wished I never brought it up..
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Graywolf View Post
    ask admin to close it or delete it

Well, some of the post haven't been very well thought out but the thread itself is fair. The fact is tents should not be set up, or (not) moved -if it causes a problem; otherwise there is no problem!

I did it in the adirondaks and I'd do it again. Arrived at the lake lean-to's an hour after dark to find three (of 4) empty. Bugs were intolerable. Me and three others set up two tents in a shelter knowing that anyone who arrived would chose an empty shelter over a partially occupied one. I'd do it again. na na na na na na.

Please don't ever setup your tent inside a shetler if there's any thought of other people.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Saint View Post
    Please don't ever setup your tent inside a shetler if there's any thought of other people.

Please read this thread if there is any thought of don't ever.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Saint View Post
    Don't set up your tent inside a sheltie either

Images

Two occasions, early March in Pa, -27 wind chill, retarded winds, trees falling all around the shelter, tent in shelter maybe helped with SOME addl heat, amazingly cold night. Was very happy when it started getting light out so as to get moving. Icy trail.

2nd was a thru-hiker on Bear Mtn NY, skunk walking around with a hurt leg, in the am he pitched tent inside shelter, maybe smart move!

Images

The only thing that is ridiculous is the idea that no one should ever set up a tent in a shelter. The only ridiculous thing is thinking that there is never any reason to set up a tent in a shelter. People on this thread have given several good reasons to set up a tent in a shelter. The only thing everyone agrees on, is that the tent should be moved if it takes space away from others.

This isn't a ridiculous thread. The people who say "never ever" are the ones being ridiculous. Of course, if you're one of those people who have no common sense, then yes, live by the "never, ever" rule.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

My tarp tent isn't freestanding. Can someone recommend another way to be rude at a shelter so I don't feel so left out?

Quote Originally Posted by Lilred View Post
    The only thing that is ridiculous is the idea that no one should ever set up a tent in a shelter. The only ridiculous thing is thinking that there is never any reason to set up a tent in a shelter. People on this thread have given several good reasons to set up a tent in a shelter.
    I don't think "I didn't want to get my tent wet" is a legitimate reason.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

I can't see any valid reason for setting a tent up in a shelter... Your tent is your shelter.. It is designed to keep you dry and protected from the weather.. If your affraid of mice, don't stay in shelters, stay in your tent, you are carrying it after all.. Plus, setting a tent up in a shelter is pointless for warmth, as your now losing heat from the bottom as well as the sides and top..

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DAJA View Post
    I can't see any valid reason for setting a tent up in a shelter... Your tent is your shelter.. It is designed to keep you dry and protected from the weather.. If your affraid of mice, don't stay in shelters, stay in your tent, you are carrying it after all.. Plus, setting a tent up in a shelter is pointless for warmth, as your now losing heat from the bottom as well as the sides and top..
    Then you may want to live by the "never ever" rule. Other hikers don't have to hike your hike.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BobTheBuilder View Post
    My tarp tent isn't freestanding. Can someone recommend another way to be rude at a shelter so I don't feel so left out?
    Just spread your stuff all over the shelter and don't voluntarily move it when others show up. Smoke cigarettes or pot in the shelter, especially around children. That ought to do it. Oh ya, talk incessantly on a cell phone in the shelter works too.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hyway View Post
    Don't set up your tent inside a sheltie either
    True, it's too dark and it makes the sheltie very angry

Quote Originally Posted by BobTheBuilder View Post
    Screw your tent to the shelter floor. If anyone has a problem with that tell then you're practicing for when you get up to the tent platforms in New England.

If you can't see a valid reason for setting up a tent in a shelter it is because you don't know very much. You assume everyone (or perhaps demand) has high quality gear that can withstand multiple days of rain and or snow along with high winds. Being afraid or not about mice has little to do with it. As far as it being pointless in regards to warmth there is a thing called a windchill factor. Shelter walls often block the wind and hence, reduce the chill factor. A pad compensates for the lose of heat from the bottom, and not all shelters have raised floors.
    This being said, I would like to publicly announce that if I am not at the shelter in question, it does not bother me if you set up your tent inside the shelter. If I am at the shelter and decide to stay, I don't care if your tent is set up as long as I have some space there also. I am clueless as to why a person 20 miles up the tail or 500 miles away in their house would object to what a hiker does in an empty shelter on the AT.

Default sooner or later there comes a time.........

Wouldn"t it be a situation where maybe Mice could damage the tent?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TD55 View Post
    If you can't see a valid reason for setting up a tent in a shelter it is because you don't know very much. You assume everyone (or perhaps demand) has high quality gear that can withstand multiple days of rain and or snow along with high winds. Being afraid or not about mice has little to do with it. As far as it being pointless in regards to warmth there is a thing called a windchill factor. Shelter walls often block the wind and hence, reduce the chill factor. A pad compensates for the lose of heat from the bottom, and not all shelters have raised floors.
    This being said, I would like to publicly announce that if I am not at the shelter in question, it does not bother me if you set up your tent inside the shelter. If I am at the shelter and decide to stay, I don't care if your tent is set up as long as I have some space there also. I am clueless as to why a person 20 miles up the tail or 500 miles away in their house would object to what a hiker does in an empty shelter on the AT.
    Huh?? Raised floors are colder than the ground.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Quote Originally Posted by Toolshed View Post
    Huh?? Raised floors are colder than the ground.
    No kidding. Point being is that a shelter that is not raised may have similar ground temp as the outdoors. One with a raised floor may have wind blowing up under the floor. You use whatever you have to compensate for the cold floor, whether you are setting up tent or not.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++