WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
    International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

Default Not Likely

Quote Originally Posted by wudhipy View Post
    Wouldn"t it be a situation where maybe Mice could damage the tent?
    They have their own little "mouse tents" set up under the shelter, where it is not considered rude.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TD55 View Post
    No kidding. Point being is that a shelter that is not raised may have similar ground temp as the outdoors. One with a raised floor may have wind blowing up under the floor. You use whatever you have to compensate for the cold floor, whether you are setting up tent or not.
    It was uncear as to what you were saying...
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Quote Originally Posted by Toolshed View Post
    It was uncear as to what you were saying...

what??? i don't get it....???

Lilred makes a good point......if people would just use common sense and be cool,there would be no problems....

and for those of you who can't....well.....good luck!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TD55 View Post
    If you can't see a valid reason for setting up a tent in a shelter it is because you don't know very much. You assume everyone (or perhaps demand) has high quality gear that can withstand multiple days of rain and or snow along with high winds. Being afraid or not about mice has little to do with it. As far as it being pointless in regards to warmth there is a thing called a windchill factor. Shelter walls often block the wind and hence, reduce the chill factor. A pad compensates for the lose of heat from the bottom, and not all shelters have raised floors.
    This being said, I would like to publicly announce that if I am not at the shelter in question, it does not bother me if you set up your tent inside the shelter. If I am at the shelter and decide to stay, I don't care if your tent is set up as long as I have some space there also. I am clueless as to why a person 20 miles up the tail or 500 miles away in their house would object to what a hiker does in an empty shelter on the AT.

AHHHHHH a voice of reason.....
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

I still fail to understand how someone who has set up their sleeping bag in an near empty shelter on a rainy night where the wind changes and starts blowing rain into the shelter decides to not go out into the rain and set up his tent but sets it up where he already has his stuff spread out is being inconsiderate. The never ever idealism is pretty strange.

Images

Never underestimate the power of human stupidity !
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

I am continually amazed by the topics that "get legs" (a lot of posts) on this forum.!!!!
    Grinder
    AT hiker : It's the journey, not the destination

Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    Never underestimate the power of human stupidity !
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

--Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.

--Albert Einstein

Well done! Great quote.

Yet another thread that is akin to an episode of Seinfelf.

Pretty much always, putting up tents in AT shelters is F-ing ridiculous and it's most often experienced on the AT. I guess it's partly because few trails have as many shelter as the AT. It's also just another long list of personal reasons that I try to avoid sleeping in AT shelters.

Trying to get someone to remove their 2 person tent that took up 3 1/2 spots in a 5 person Connecticut AT shelter is the one time in my hiking life that I came the closest to getting into a fist fight while out on the trail. These people thought it fair to take up all this space w/ a tent inside the shelter because they got to the shelter first that day. There were 7 people total who looked for spots inside this shelter. I was the only one to speak up. I had to walk off to avoid a fist fight. Probably, the best idea since the man was huge, flashed his authoritaive police badge to try to intimidate me, and probably would have kicked my ass anyway!

One time, I saw an AT thruhiker leave trash on the ground and be mean to other people. So I don't think an AT thruhikers should be on the AT.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
++ New Posts ++