WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Down Booties

Images

Default Down Booties

So, I need some in camp shoes for February. (Do not tell me that I don't need to carry in camp shoes- I always do, love having my feet out of my boots.) Does anyone have any suggestions on some good down booties?

Right now I'm looking at Feathered Friends and REI

http://www.rei.com/product/772047#prodSpecs

http://www.featheredfriends.com/Pica...20Booties.html

REI is $20, Feathered Friends is $85 (whooo boy...)

But the feathered friends booties look warmer and lighter than the REI ones, and are more water proof, and you can take the inside layer out to wear in your sleeping bag. Which sounds really nice...

Has anyone had any experience with either pair? Any others?

(I'd really like not to spend a huge amount of money on the booties, but if they're really worth it, I might spring for 'em)
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

Images

If you can wait, there's a guy on backpackinglight that's talking about making his own down booties. The inner weighs 3 oz. There was talk about making waterproof outers that'd make it useful as a walk-around camp shoe. I believe they're saying the price should be $50.

Images

I'd like 'em for next weekend, then for my thru. So, not really. And I have been finding some cheaper ones. But, an ominous sign is that none of them list the weight... Only feathered friends does (at 9 oz)
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )

Images

i wear these. http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/pr...ie+III-Men%27s but only paid $20 here http://www.themountainhideaway.com/store/ they work great even in snow and ice.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

I don't have experience with these or any other down booties, but reading the specs convinces me that the Feathered Friends are worth the extra money if you can swing it. I don't think they'll do that well as camp shoes - no traipsing around in the dark for firewood, etc. But for warm lounging and sleeping I bet they'd be great.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

I have LL Bean down booties.....and I wouldn't take anything for them! I just finished a long stretch of the AT and I am really glad I decided to buy a pair! They really made a difference as far as comfort and warmth while in camp. I believe I paid around $45.00 for them. A great investment if you're going to do any cold weather long distance hiking.

Images

I have the Sierra Designs ones with a closed cell foam sole covered with a canvas material. Its really very marginal for walking around outside, the canvas material tears easily from rocks, etc. Keeps my feet toasty, though. Also, anything with any sole, no matter how flimsy, is sort of annoying while wearing inside a sleeping bag. The FF ones look sweet and I love the idea of a separate outsole for walking around. Probably worth spending the extra dough.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by ShelterLeopard View Post
    I'd like 'em for next weekend, then for my thru. So, not really. And I have been finding some cheaper ones. But, an ominous sign is that none of them list the weight... Only feathered friends does (at 9 oz)

One of the reviews for the REI Men's down booties has a weight....

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    Weight for the pair is 12oz, kind of heavy compared to other down booties. It's inexcusable that REI omits the weight in the product specifications. Soles are thin and will be a cold spot. Overall not recommended.
    21.1% Done

Images

No experience with either of these particular booties. I have looked at the REI booties, and think they are heavy and not very compressible. Good price though.

I've used Sierra Design in the past, but no longer have them. If I were doing an extended winter hike I would definitely get some. I would probably go with the Feathered Friends.

Booties can be worn in snow and ice for brief trips out, but not mud and wet. They are not really a replacement for crocks or similar. My opinion. GREAT for keeping your feet warm around camp and in your bag. Careful around a fire.

I have the Nunatak Teanaways. I love em. Gotta be below freezing for me to take em with me. They also can take up to 8 weeks after ordering to get them.

You don't need something like that on a thru unless your feet routinely get cold. IMO, you can get by with the cheap ones. If you are looking for something to last longer, go with the FF or Nunutak versions, and order the Epic material. The Teanaways are like 3.5 oz.

http://www.nunatakusa.com/site07/booties/teanaway.htm

Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

I also have the teanaways.... took almost 2.5 months to get them. I had them modify them to remove the soles as I just wanted a down bootie to be warn in my hammock in 32* or below winter camping. Going to test them out in 2 weeks when I hit the AT for a quick overnight hike.

What size shoe do you wear?
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Images

Size 8-8.5 women's.

And it might be worth it to splurge, because I'm sure I'll use them for other trips as well.

Images

I've had a pair of The North Face NSE Tent Mule II for about a year. They are warm, light and sturdy. Mine fit in a gallon ziplock bag. They come in women's sizes too.

http://www.thenorthface.com/catalog/...t-mule-ii.html

Quote Originally Posted by Raul Perez View Post
    I also have the teanaways.... took almost 2.5 months to get them. I had them modify them to remove the soles as I just wanted a down bootie to be warn in my hammock in 32* or below winter camping. Going to test them out in 2 weeks when I hit the AT for a quick overnight hike.
    Wow, that seems like such a waste, as that takes away wearing them around camp. My feet never get cold in my bag, just slept out at -9°F with no issues. Without the insoles I would imagine that they would pack down to something smaller than your fist.

I like the booties for hanging around camp. They are strong enough to gently move around camp, set up your tent, etc., but not much more than that. Once I get in my tent they come off.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

waste for you but my feet tend to get cold for some reason when I'm sleeping. This may be the answer to my prayers. I'll find out soon.

Once I'm camped and settled in I dont do much walking around as it is I tend to just hang in my hammock and relax.

Images

What I really want is something warm and soft for around camp, that I can actually walk around in, ithout being afraid of ripping it. Maybe moccasins are a better way to go? Heavier though, and bulkier.

I own the Feathered Friends booties and they are great. The two part system is great because you can wear them all around camp and muddy up the outer shell and then take it off and wear the liner in your sleeping bag. Then when you want to clean the mud off all you have to do is wash the shells and don't have to worry about babying he down. It does weigh a couple of ounces more than the Nunatak botties, but you have to give up that flexability for them as well.

There is one problem with the Feathered Friends that is easily fixable. The sidewalls are not stiff and your feet can slide all over the place and occasionally off the sole. The fix is just cutting a piece of old blue sleeping pad to about 1.5" wide and putting it inside the outer shell. After that, I have had no issues. I have never actually tried any other bootie before I got these since the two part system just makes perfect sense in my mind, but I would imagine that other brands probably have the weak side wall issue to some degree as well.

Images

How do the Feathered Friends booties hold up walking around camp? Do they get torn at all?

I'm getting the Tenaways in size 13 for wearing while sleeping and answering the midnight call. Not really using them for too much walking around camp or any walking around town. 4 oz. total wt! 3 oz of high quality down in size 12-13. I'm mortgaging the house to buy them though!

I looked at the SD, REI, and TNF down shoes/booties. They all seemed heavy to me and getting a straight answer to how much my XL size weighed or how much down exactly was in those XL size was sometimes frustrating to impossible to find out!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++