WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: How Low ?

Default How Low ?

How low have you gone Temp wise in your hammock and what kind of underquilt and overquilt or bag or/and pad did you use?What was the lowest temp you were comfy in and were you deck out in all your clothing to keep comfy?

Oh and yes I know "i have gone to the ground " might be some anwsers. Yes I have gone that low too.

Images

When I went to Bed it was 9* and still dropping. I don't use under-quilts as I have a Clark North American. I did stuff all the pockets the line the bottom of the hammock and had a few layers on when I climbed into the bag. I was using a zero degree bag and had a Cabelas inflatable pad under me it is the same as a Thermarest but cheaper. Only time it was really bad was when I got up to pee in the middle of the night. Let all my warm air out. Also from time to time I would get a cold spot on the sides if I slept on my side where I pushed up against the side of the hammock.
    Often Accused, Often Guilty but Seldom Guilty of What I am Accused.

Images

I often get down to the low 20s, wearing: a fleece vest & tee & shorts. My Underquilt is a JRB No Sniveler. I do have a hammock sock over everything. My coldest is 6, the first time with just a truckers windshield cover & a 3/4 length CCF Pad under me. The 2nd time: No Sniv, with a KAQ Patomic between it & the hammock (I actually was too warm).

Tues night (10 degrees) & last night (22 degrees) I had the same set up as #2 above, & was very warm, last night I had to get out & cool off. I think I should have tested with just the No Sniv, , , Oh well.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Teddy Bear in a hammock HikerRanky's Avatar
    Images

7 degrees is the coldest I've been down to in my setup:

Warbonnet Blackbird dbl 1.7
    Speer SnugFit UQ
    Speer TopBlanket TQ
    AHE Bear Burrito Oven Top Cover

Clothes were REI Sahara pants, Smartwool Socks, and a Walmart short sleeved synthetic shirt.

Was very toasty!!!

Randy

Images

Hung in the 20's with just a pad and spe. With a balaclava, all my clothes on and a good quilt, I had a few cold spots but a good night's sleep.

- Duffy
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Images

lowest i got was about 11ish i was in a blackbird db 1.7 with a yeti. i was using a thermarest inflatable noththe prolite4 or anything just a regular one, with a cats meow 20 degree bag with a jrb shenandoah over it. i was wearing shorts and a long sleeve base layer. slept like a rock.

Images

Lowest recorded temp was -17F. However, I'm fairly certain I've been colder just no way to know because my digital thermometer freezes if I don't keep it under the quilts.

Warbonnet Superfly (Winter Tarp)
    Warbonnet Blackbird (Hammock)
    Warbonnet Winter Yeti (Underquilt)
    Jacks R Better Rocky Mtn. Sniveler (Topquilt)
    Gossamer Gear ThinLite 1/4" Pad (cut down)
    Clothing usually consists of a set of heavy weight base layers (top and bottom), balaclava, watch cap, convertible mittens, and heavy wool sleeping socks.

Since the Yetis are short UQs (torso length), I usually throw my pack under my legs for insulation. I put the pad on top of the pack to fill in any gaps and add a little cushioning. I've been out in sub-zero temps fairly frequently with the same basic set-up; hammock choice changes sometimes, but the insulation and tarp selection stay pretty consistent.
    Tomorrow might just be too late and today is just beginning.

My two coldest trips were in Yosemite at 15F with 20mph sustained winds (about -10F) windchill and in Colorado at -2F recorded with steady wind coming thru all night...maybe 10mph?

Yosemite (Winnemucca) I had a homemade hammock, Speer PeaPod, Exped Downmat 7, JRB NS top quilt, MacCat Standard, and some clothes. This is the trip that convinced me to make a Hammock Sock to deal with dry powder floating up from under my tarp and settling on my insulation. Here's the full trip report...a lot has changed since then, re: hammock gear available and the shared experience of winter hammockers.
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HikingPicturesWinnemucca.html

The Colorado trip was 23 Dec 09 and my 10 y/o was with me. I had a Blackbird w/ JRB MWUQ4 underneath and stayed toasty warm all night. I had a 30F sleeping bag with a JRB NS on top of it. My son had the DownHammock, Speer PeaPod, and GoLite Ultra 20 short quilt. We were hanging together under the JRB 11'x10' tarp. Here's the full trip report for that one:
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HikingPict...partRange.html

Just waiting for more Colorado storms to blow thru...I just moved into my new house this week, and right before this a storm blew thru with -10F temps right here...and I missed it! Waiting...waiting...

Forgot about the HammockForums winter hangs...it's gotten colder than my Winnemucca trip at those (3 of them now) but I always had a protected site so the wind chill wasn't as bad. Great trips with great company, though!
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HikingPicturesMtRogers.html

There's another one coming up soon...check on HF if you're interested!

And the First Annual Colorado Winter Hang is 27-28 Feb...we'd be happy to have newbies as well! Sleep on the ground if you want...just come check out the hammock kits and have a good time around the fire!

++ New Posts ++