WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Weight Loss Goals

My work started a biggest loser contest and being the competitive person I am I intentionally gained weight just so I could lose it back.

I weighed in at 225.6 and the contest ends on March 10th. My plan is to go under 200 which would be a good "in shape" weight for me anyway.

I'm guessing there are a lot of us out there wanting to drop a few pounds (or more) before we do some hiking in the spring.

What are your weight loss goals? Maybe putting them out here will help motivate you to be successful. Good luck!
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

You are on, fredmugs! I weighed 225.8 on Jan. 1. Down to 218.4. Was over 200 every day last year. A far cry from my 2001 Katahdin weight of 147. ******* pounds just don't come off like they used to when I went into exercise/healthy eating mode.

My near-term goal is under 200. If I reached that by March 10th, I'd be happy. Long term, I'd like to be under 185.

It is on!

BTW, good luck to you.
    Yahtzee

Images

Currently I come in at around 250 but I would like to work at it and get my weight back to my original weight of 7lbs 6oz.....
    ---Where ever you go
    There you are---

Registered User DrRichardCranium's Avatar
    Journal Entries

If your body counts as gear, shouldn't this be in the UL forum?
    "Katahdin barada nikto."

Me and ultra-light? Not a chance.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Images

I'm 215 lbs right now. I'd like to get down to 190 lbs before I start my PCT thru-hike, and then down to 175 lbs before I hit the desert section. At that point if my pack is at max water and food carrying capacity, my feet will feel like I'm only carrying a 10 lb pack. Dieting will be my way of going ultralight. It's a hell of a lot cheaper than replacing all of my gear with lighter gear that does exactly the same thing.

i'm at 240 right now and want to get back down to 200 by july 4th...i have a bet with one of my coworkers to see who can loose the most as a % of body weight and that is the big weigh in. i'm backpacking every weekend after Feb 1 (thats when camping area restrictions along the lone star trail end). In the mean time I'm just doing the eat less thing and get out and walk onthe weekends. i know it will be easier for me once I start backpacking because when I exert that much energy I actually loose my appetite but just doing day hikes makes me hungry---metabolism is really wierd.
    Take almost nothing I say seriously--if it seems to make no sense what so ever it's probably meant as a joke....but do treat your water!

I am 47, male, 6' 0.5"

January1: 200 pounds with a 40" belly = 25.6% fat, 148.8 pounds lean body mass.
    My goal is 170 pounds with a 32" belly = 12.0% fat, 150.0 pounds lean body mass.

http://home.fuse.net/clymer/bmi/

Images

I'm female, 5' 4".

At my highest (I think September?) I was 190. Now 165. Hope to be 155 by the time I hit Springer in late Feb, but if I'm not, I'll lose it on the trail. Hope to be 120 by Katahdin.
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

I've gotten back into running the past year, and still couldn't break past 200 pounds. Since late November I've gotten into day hikes in a big way in addition to the running, and that seems to be shaking things up a bit. I am trying to get work up my calories burned through exercise to 1000 kcal/day, which I can't do with running and weights alone, but with walking and day hikes and easy cross country skiing it can add up. I estimate my calories based on my weight and a heart rate monitor. My dieting seems to follow my exercise. When I am exercise, I am disciplined. When I don't, I am not.

Registered User Pacific Tortuga's Avatar
    Images

[QUOTE=fredmugs;951621]My work started a biggest loser contest and being the competitive person I am I intentionally gained weight just so I could lose it back.
    QUOTE]

Who else is sandbaggin' ?

Images

Noo way. I just want to get back to my thin ol' self! Not adding on anything extra.
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

Images

When training for a full contact match I usually get down to about 150-148lbs at 5'4" (that seems to be where I feel the strongest and fastest). when no match is forseen I'm usually at 155-158lbs. I let myself go a bit and got up to 165lbs after taking and passing my final CPA exam in June 2009. I also lost a lot of muscle mass from studying for 2 years and not hitting the gym (I still ran and did push ups and sit ups, grappled, and hit the heavy bag).

I'm new to the AT hiking. Did a half section in November and looking to do it a few more times to get used to hiking distances longer than 5 miles. Also did some gear changes so my pack will be no more than 30lbs for a 6 day hike.

Goals for me are putting on a bit more muscle and hitting the AT a solid 160lbs by June 1st for a 40 mile section hike.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    I've gotten back into running the past year, and still couldn't break past 200 pounds. Since late November I've gotten into day hikes in a big way in addition to the running, and that seems to be shaking things up a bit. I am trying to get work up my calories burned through exercise to 1000 kcal/day, which I can't do with running and weights alone, but with walking and day hikes and easy cross country skiing it can add up. I estimate my calories based on my weight and a heart rate monitor. My dieting seems to follow my exercise. When I am exercise, I am disciplined. When I don't, I am not.
    JAK, have you started the Zone Diet yet?

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I'm just glad to see people recognize fitness is more important to enjoying hiking than what lightweight titanium widget they should carry.

Being 30lbs+ overweight and hiking ain't as much fun as being in shape and hiking..
    Last edited by Mags; 01-14-2010 at 15:18.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Wow, I make you guys look little. My weight has been as high as 272 lbs. when I started backpacking 2 years ago. I have dropped it down to as low as 208 lbs. There is a giant difference in what I can do on the trail between those two weights.

I got inactive this fall and my weight shot back up to 267.2 as of Dec. 28. Running plus Atkins diet has got me down to 248.0 as of this morning. So I've dropped 19.2 pounds in 17 days!

I plan to hike Damascus to Waynesboro this summer (I've already done SNP to PA and GA) and I HAVE to be under 222 lbs. because that's when my sleep apnea disappears and there is nowhere do plug a C-PAP machine in on the trail.

I really want to get under 200 by summer and I plan for day hikes in SNP to be a big part of that.

The real thing that has inspired me is my 12 year-old daughter who started running cross country this fall. She weighs 84 lbs and can run 3.1 miles in 23 minutes. I figured I'd have to do something or I'll never be able to catch her when she's getting into trouble as a teenager
    Lemni Skate away

The trail will save my life

Images

We ought to try to post how it's going for us once a week on here.
    Lemni Skate away

The trail will save my life

Journal Entries
    Images

I was at 249 im down to 227 as of today!! i leave in April for a hike,so my goal is set at 200 by April.Good luck to all.HS

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Lemni Skate View Post
    Wow, I make you guys look little. My weight has been as high as 272 lbs. when I started backpacking 2 years ago.
    Finally a person of substance. I read this thread and found everyone seemed to be below my goal weight and still concerned about being too heavy.

Due to not hiking or doing much of anything else since last May (sad story not for here), my weight went way up. I'm 6'5" with wide shoulders/chest so I can carry a lot of weight without looking too bad, but my knees aren't fooled. I backpack very comfortably at 230.

I was 270 on New Year's Day and have been on vacation since then, so I doubt my weight has gone down. I'll check next Sunday when I get home.
    Frosty

Started the year out at 229.6 working on getting down to 210 by March 19th.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++