WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikingff77 View Post
    One quick question for those of your guys in my weight category, what packs do you use to backpack with? The only ones I have seen for a size 40" waist are Jansport packs, and not that there's anything wrong with them, I really want a Baltro or Palisades and they just don't fit.
    I think you'll find a lot of the packs at places like REI have interchangeable hip belts that go at least as high as 42". Also, some of the pack makers will make you a custom belt if you need one larger than that. Back in '95, I contacted Dana Designs and they were happy to make me a fat-bastard hip belt for one of their packs.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    263# this morning. Down nine pounds since mid-January.

I've put plain yogurt on granola-type cereal, but have never been a fan of eating it straight up. I prefer the fat-free fruit kind, but lately have been eating some of Yoplait's weird flavors - Boston Cream Pie, Apple Turnover, stuff like that.

Pretty good, actually.
    3 parts ff, plain yogurt(1 cup?), 1 part ff cottage cheese(big spoonful?), @1/2 cup bran buds cereal for crunch. Far better than grape nuts.

Plain, ff yogurt, small amount of raisins, small amount of peanuts.

That flavored kind seems gag you sweet after developing a taste for the plain kind. It grows on you. I can't even eat the ff vanilla now.

That sounds good. I like the plain kind also. I do add blueberries.
    I think I will try adding granola, or maybe just plain oatmeal.

One week to go in my biggest loser contest. Weighed in at 193.2 (32.5 lb drop in 7 weeks) which is insane. Normally after fattening up over the winter I try to get down to 195 by May. Do I dare challenge myself to hit 190.0???

I have been trying to eat 100g of carbs or less every day. It's supposed to get into the 50s this weekend so I may actually go hiking.

Personally I achieve more weight loss focusing on cutting the carbs than trying to go no or low fat. Oatmeal has too many carbs for me right now.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by fredmugs View Post
    My work started a biggest loser contest and being the competitive person I am I intentionally gained weight just so I could lose it back.

I weighed in at 225.6 and the contest ends on March 10th. My plan is to go under 200 which would be a good "in shape" weight for me anyway.

I'm guessing there are a lot of us out there wanting to drop a few pounds (or more) before we do some hiking in the spring.

What are your weight loss goals? Maybe putting them out here will help motivate you to be successful. Good luck!
    I managed put myself through hell the last 3 days and weighed in at 183.2 pounds. 42 pound loss in 8 weeks! I still cannot believe it. There is nothing left for me to lose and I plan to hydrate back up to 190.

The challenge now is to stay at 190 until my NH hike in July.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Hey I just broke below 190# myself today, after a 2 hour walk.
    I am only 4 pounds away from being "normal".
    Now there's a scarey thought.

Just throwing this out there if anyone is interested - I work with folks to facilitate diet and lifestyle changes from an Ayurvedic perspective. Ayurveda is defined as the "science of living" and is the healing side of yoga. Have you ever noticed that you eat the "right" amount of calories and exercise but the weight does not come off? Ayurveda teaches us that its not just about calories, but about the specific foods and tastes we eat and when we eat them. Also, the type and frequency of exercise we do. Some people need blueberries but not oranges. Some people need yoga and slow walking not running. I am totally fascinated by this stuff so if you are interested in learning more, I'd be happy to give you more info - just personal message me. And good luck - I fully support everyone's goals however they are achieved!!

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Hey I just broke below 190# myself today, after a 2 hour walk.
    I am only 4 pounds away from being "normal".
    Now there's a scarey thought.
    Good job.

I tend to weigh myself as soon as I get up. I find I am artificiallly low after working out or hiking, and definitely NEVER weigh after a big meal!

I broke 260 this morning. Not sure, though. I'm currently in Arkansas and it wasn't my normal scale. Myabe this scale reads 30 pound high and I really broke 230....Nah.
    Frosty

Don't really want to lose anymore than 5 lbs and figure my hike next week will take care of that. I wish I could hike more just for the toning factor. Nothing like a 5 day Backpack trip to tighten it up. 5' 5 1/2" 140 trying for 135 but will keep the weight if I lose 2 inches all around

Images

I'm a little under 200 pounds right now...down from around 215 at the beginning of this year. I only had to walk 150 miles to do that. :/ At least I've been able to eat like a pig on zeros & neros, including eating a quart of ice cream for breakfast one day.

I've been running alot more over th past 6 weeks, and still walking/hiking a bunch. So I've made it down to 185ish now. I am able to run and hike farther, but I haven't gotten much faster. It still hurts more than when I was younger also. Ah well, just gotta learn to complain less. Working on some flexibility now. That might help.

Keep at 'er folks.

Images

A really good website that is free to use is www.mydailyplate.com it is part of the Livestrong Foundation started by Lance Armstrong. You can keep daily food and exercise journals and it will pie chart your proteins, carbs, fats, etc. The neat thing about the website it will set up how much you want to eat a day and factor in exercise and then tells you remaining calories I do not do it on a daily basis but the exercise part is really cool.

It will factor you weight and then if you hike X amount of hours a day it will tell you what your body weight would burn doing that activity. Hiking burns around 800 calories an hour.

Thought I would share.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9
++ New Posts ++