WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Ramen Noodle alternative

I am concerned about the sodium level of Ramen noodles. I need an easy to find, easy to cook, easy to eat alternative. Is the secret to leave off the seasoning packet? I don't mind bland and tasteless, I just dont feel like ingesting THAT MUCH SODIUM.

I am planning on a one liter pot only. Jetboil.

Ideas and suggestions are solicited and welcome.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by schraderdc View Post
    I am concerned about the sodium level of Ramen noodles. I need an easy to find, easy to cook, easy to eat alternative. Is the secret to leave off the seasoning packet? I don't mind bland and tasteless, I just dont feel like ingesting THAT MUCH SODIUM.

NO just divide the packet in half... and don't worry much about it.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...ht=sodium+food
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Thumbs up Why bother...

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    NO just divide the packet in half... and don't worry much about it.
    Don't use the flavor & salt packet at all. Plenty of other low salt or salt free seasonings available. I like the noodles without flavoring just fine.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Images

I think reducing sodium intake on a thru-hike is going in the wrong direction.

I rather like the flavor, but shouldn't eat that much salt. my compromise is to use half of the flavor packet and one cup of water to cook the noodles... gives the same flavor. Still too much salt, so I must fill out the day with low- sodium foods.

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    I think reducing sodium intake on a thru-hike is going in the wrong direction.
    Yep, once it gets hot out, you'll find yourself craving salt. I'll often leave town with a bag of Frettos.

Back to Ramens, I hate all the flavor pack choices. I usually use half a chicken boulion cube instead. (which likely has pleanty of salt in it too)
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

Chocolate has very little sodium (which is essential to life. Sweat much? Hiking? Just sayin...)

I'm old enough that too much salt causes trouble; and that doctor was threatening to medicate my blood pressure... I fixed it. Chicken bouillon, as Slo- go'en said, goes well with ramen noodles; I use the low- sodium kind and still get lots of salt. Dissolve the bouillon cube before adding noodles: avoids weak flavor with chewy surprise hidden amongst the noodles.

Honestly, I'm a huge fan the Easy-mac pouches. Not too salty at all, lots of carbs and taste great (at least my friends I think so!)

Quote Originally Posted by Zynski10 View Post
    Honestly, I'm a huge fan the Easy-mac pouches. Not too salty at all, lots of carbs and taste great (at least my friends I think so!)
    isnt that a difficult clean up though? and cooking it has to be a pain... I am looking for ease of preperation and caloric content - taste is way down the lost of concerns

I read it again: alternative... ideas and suggestions. I like whole- wheat angel hair; think it's Barilla brand. Break it small, cover with water, and bring to boiling. Cozy the pot about 15 minutes and drain, if needed. Stir in whatever oil, sauces, and sprinklings, and chow down.

Default Toss the packet

Toss the packet and try a pesto or spaghetti sauce. The noodles cook so quickly, the work great for freezer bag cooking.

Images

isnt that a difficult clean up though? and cooking it has to be a pain... I am looking for ease of preperation and caloric content - taste is way down the lost of concerns
    Have you considered freezer bag cooking? Almost no cleanup.

Images

Instant mashed potatoes with a little Ms. Dash for seasoning. Add as much or as little seasoning as you like. You don't need to bring your water to a full boil, making it quicker to cook. It cleans up very easy too.

Stir Fry

Try freezer bag cooking, then eat out of the bag very little clean up

If its no oats, its crap.

Journal Entries
    Images

Ditch the supplied packet (its poison) and add a cream of (mushroom, broccoli. etc.) powdered instant soup. Add a pouch or can of chicken or tuna or ham. Enjoy.

As bad as the sodium in the flavoring is, to me the fried noodles are just as bad, especially if you base your hiking diet on them. Find the baked ones if you can. Check your local Asian markets if you have one nearby.

Hate to say it, but ditch the ramen noodles also.
    They are really not that good for you.

They are not real food. Eat real food.

Maybe if you made your own noodles.

Did you know if you look closely at Ramen Noodles they are made folded up? Yep, and you can separate them by finding the crease and "popping" them open like shucking an oyster shell.

I use to do that- spread peanut butter, jelly, or nutella on one side and made a crunchy Ramen sandwich for a mid-day snake on the trail. Yum!

Now that's good eatin'.....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++