WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default worst...weekend...EVAR.

Three buddies and I decided weeks ago to do Dicks Creek Gap to Unicoi Gap this past weekend (see where this is going?) Friday night the weather was fantastic...very clear and dry conditions meant the first morning I've ever woken up in a truly bone dry tent in GA. We got a good start Saturday morning amid a hazy sky. Around Sassafras Gap a little mist began to fall, but nothing could dampen our spirits...we were headed to Tray Mtn Shelter after all and if the bottom fell out we could use that instead of the tent areas. We continued on while the sky grew darker and the precipitation brought out our rain gear (note: holy moly I love my REI Shuksan with eVent). We finally hit the side trail to the shelter at 3:30...only to find it crawling with Boy Scouts. It seems most of them forgot their "Be Prepared" motto.

We pitched camp in the steady rain, too tired and unwilling to forge on the final 5.6 miles over Tray and Rocky in the dark and in quickly deteriorating conditions. As the weather continued to get worse, I told the group there was no way I was even attempting to cook dinner in the monsoon and I went to my tent at an unprecedented 7pm to try and salvage whatever dryness I could. There was simply no escape. Before long the bottom of my SD Baku 1 began to absorb water, and wind forced water into my vents which I had to close as well. Know what happens when you do that in 100% humidity? I thought you did. I created my own little rain event inside by continuing to breathe. My sleeping bag (thankfully NOT down) became damp on the outside. Water dripped into the channels of my inflatable sleeping pad and ran the length of the pad under my bag. Every time I shifted around a bit, I became a little wetter. By 7am my entire tent had standing water in it. Everything...soaked. My pack, perched carefully over two tree branches straps-down with pack cover cinched over it, also wet. Never once did the rain subside all night, with temps dropping below 40 and gale force winds howling against the mountain face. There we were, just below the summit of Tray Mountain in absolutely horrendous conditions and quietly questioning our sanity.

Sunday morning brought no relief, as we packed up our thoroughly soaked and muddied gear and put on wet clothes and tried to keep moving to stave off hypothermia. We soldiered on through abysmal hiking conditions...pouring rain and cold wind, trails soaked with 12+ hours of nonstop rain, every step requiring even greater caution. We made it to Unicoi by 11:30, more tired and deflated than we've ever been after a hike. Gear cleanup at home last night could only be described as an unmitigated disaster.

To the other brave (stupid?) hikers we passed this weekend...hope you made it home in good shape.

Sounds like loads of fun
    remeber, what doesn't kill ya, just makes you more miserable.

I saw all that rain going north and felt sorry for who ever might be out in it. We only got a couple of inches of wet snow out the deal here over night.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I went out near neels gap this weekend for an overnighter. I was expecting rain so I tented at slaughter creek campsite, stayed fairly dry and had a great time hiking in the rain the next morning. I did cook breakfast in blood mountain shelter though at about 10. It was very muddy under my tent though after the entire night of rain.

Hey it may have been miserable, but did you pay attention to what was going on so you could remember what not to do? Thats the real question. Took me a few times but i learned the hard way

Conditions like that create the most miserable hikes, but the best memories.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    That is the honest truth. My best memories involve me being miserable. Odd...
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by energy_turtle View Post
    It seems most of them forgot their "Be Prepared" motto.
    What were they not prepared for? Just curious...

Default Miserable in rain

Same deal here. We went from Springer to Woody Gap . First night at Hawks Nest shelter was wonderful but Sat was miserable as I ended up tenting at Gooch. Got up Sunday soaked didn't even cook breakfast and hiked out to Woody gap. Rain sucks when you are backpacking.

Images

Sounds like you need a different tent, energy_turtle.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Virginia Tortoise

If I have a weekend trip planned and I see rain in the forecast, I usually cancel. Now, when you are doing a long section like I did last summer in MA-VT-NH and it rains just about every day, you are locked in. But, then again, it's a learning experience.

Quote Originally Posted by billreyn1 View Post
    Same deal here. We went from Springer to Woody Gap . First night at Hawks Nest shelter was wonderful but Sat was miserable as I ended up tenting at Gooch. Got up Sunday soaked didn't even cook breakfast and hiked out to Woody gap. Rain sucks when you are backpacking.
    But if you have the right set up and can use it the right way, rain can just be an inconvenience and you could still enjoy the hike. I went out in November and it rained for a day and a half. I just made sure I kept my stuff dry. When i got to my destination I had to wait 3 hours for a ride. It was cold and it was slightly wet but having that spare clothing burried in my sleeping bag was awesome! Nice and dry!

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    no doubt........

Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    But, then again, it's a learning experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    Or maybe just better site selection and a footprint...

This reminds me of a time at boy scout camp.... I was camping in a cheap little popup tent that was really only suited for camping out in the living room. It rained nonstop for the entire week. Of course I had pitched on a little indent in the group, where countless other boy scouts probably had also pitched tents. I distinctly remember waking up floating on my air mattress I had a good 2 inches of water in the tent. I had to bail it out before I could pick it up and move it.

Quote Originally Posted by energy_turtle View Post
    Three buddies and I decided weeks ago to do Dicks Creek Gap to Unicoi Gap this past weekend (see where this is going?) Friday night the weather was fantastic...very clear and dry conditions meant the first morning I've ever woken up in a truly bone dry tent in GA. We got a good start Saturday morning amid a hazy sky. Around Sassafras Gap a little mist began to fall, but nothing could dampen our spirits...we were headed to Tray Mtn Shelter after all and if the bottom fell out we could use that instead of the tent areas. We continued on while the sky grew darker and the precipitation brought out our rain gear (note: holy moly I love my REI Shuksan with eVent). We finally hit the side trail to the shelter at 3:30...only to find it crawling with Boy Scouts. It seems most of them forgot their "Be Prepared" motto.

We pitched camp in the steady rain, too tired and unwilling to forge on the final 5.6 miles over Tray and Rocky in the dark and in quickly deteriorating conditions. As the weather continued to get worse, I told the group there was no way I was even attempting to cook dinner in the monsoon and I went to my tent at an unprecedented 7pm to try and salvage whatever dryness I could. There was simply no escape. Before long the bottom of my SD Baku 1 began to absorb water, and wind forced water into my vents which I had to close as well. Know what happens when you do that in 100% humidity? I thought you did. I created my own little rain event inside by continuing to breathe. My sleeping bag (thankfully NOT down) became damp on the outside. Water dripped into the channels of my inflatable sleeping pad and ran the length of the pad under my bag. Every time I shifted around a bit, I became a little wetter. By 7am my entire tent had standing water in it. Everything...soaked. My pack, perched carefully over two tree branches straps-down with pack cover cinched over it, also wet. Never once did the rain subside all night, with temps dropping below 40 and gale force winds howling against the mountain face. There we were, just below the summit of Tray Mountain in absolutely horrendous conditions and quietly questioning our sanity.

Sunday morning brought no relief, as we packed up our thoroughly soaked and muddied gear and put on wet clothes and tried to keep moving to stave off hypothermia. We soldiered on through abysmal hiking conditions...pouring rain and cold wind, trails soaked with 12+ hours of nonstop rain, every step requiring even greater caution. We made it to Unicoi by 11:30, more tired and deflated than we've ever been after a hike. Gear cleanup at home last night could only be described as an unmitigated disaster.

To the other brave (stupid?) hikers we passed this weekend...hope you made it home in good shape.

The real question here is when are you going back out???

"indent in the GROUND". Depression in the ground, whatever. you get the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosaphone View Post
    This reminds me of a time at boy scout camp.... I was camping in a cheap little popup tent that was really only suited for camping out in the living room. It rained nonstop for the entire week. Of course I had pitched on a little indent in the group, where countless other boy scouts probably had also pitched tents. I distinctly remember waking up floating on my air mattress I had a good 2 inches of water in the tent. I had to bail it out before I could pick it up and move it.
    Boy Scout Jamborree when I was 10. I slept on a sponge! Rained from the second we got there, til the second we left. Still, awesome weekend with my dad!

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    I agree I agree.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hosaphone View Post
    Or maybe just better site selection and a footprint...
    No doubt site selection can make a huge difference but there is a reason that tent model is on clearance everywhere you look.

I have to tell you this is the worst tent I have ever owned. The condensation was amazing. It looked like it rained inside the tent! My down bag and everything in the tent was soaking wet by morning. It was properly vented - both end vents open and the side window. The vestibule was closed with my pack inside - which also got wet. I spent the whole night sleepless. Every time I turned I'd hit the side of the tent and it literally rained on me.
    I absolutely would not recommend this tent to anyone. Set up was ok but with one fly you can't pull the vestibule too tight or the tent leans over - even staked in all 4 corners. I did not guy it out as it wasn't necessary. Sorry, this is the worst performing tent I have ever tried
    http://www.trailspace.com/gear/sierr.../review/14510/
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++