WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default Lightest quality hammock for a tall person

Is there a lightweight hammock for a person 6'2" - 6'4"? Preferably 3 lbs or lighther with all the accessories that are necessary to make it work well.

I'm seriously interested but it looks like you really pay a weight penalty when you get a hammock for someone over 6'.

BTW, the folks at Hennessy told me that while the Hyperlite is made for people 6' and under a person my height (6'2") would fit, especially if I were a side sleeper. My interpretation of that is that it would be a tight fit - maybe too tight.

Images

WARBONNET ANYTHING!!! no seriously take a serious look at those hammocks as they are very comfortable and also very long.

warbonnetoutdoors.net is where you want to go and of course if you have any questions, Brandon, the guys who makes the hammocks is very responsive.

Finally Hammockforums.net is the hammock information repository. you'll get way more information there than you would here... have fun and good luck!

did you look into the bear mountain bridge hammock by jacks or better?

Quote Originally Posted by climber2377 View Post
    did you look into the bear mountain bridge hammock by jacks or better?
    I did, but I don't know dip about hammocks so I'm looking at the ones people are talking about. Is that what you have?

Teddy Bear in a hammock HikerRanky's Avatar
    Images

I am 6'6" and the owner of a HH Explorer Deluxe and a Warbonnet Blackbird.... I personally MUCH prefer the Warbonnet.

I have the double 1.7 and it comes in at 31oz.

Hope this helps!

Randy

I'll check the warbonnet out - everyone that has one seems to like it and the reviews I've read have all been positive.

i have a buddy with the bear mtn bridge hammock. he is taller than i am. i just purchased a hennessey ultralight backpacker. they have a great deal on their website. i couldnt pass it up. i have only a few experiences with either of these hammocks. i will know more when i get out there this march!!

Even tho' the Hyperlite is technically made for people up to 6' I find it a bit short at 5' 9". Not totally uncomfortable, just a bit short, even when side sleeping. I'm willing to compromise for the weight saving over a longer hammock, total functionality, and overall comfort.

Maybe someone over on the hammock forums web site could offer some suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by singing wind View Post
    Even tho' the Hyperlite is technically made for people up to 6' I find it a bit short at 5' 9". Not totally uncomfortable, just a bit short, even when side sleeping. I'm willing to compromise for the weight saving over a longer hammock, total functionality, and overall comfort.

Maybe someone over on the hammock forums web site could offer some suggestions.
    At 5'8" I'm okay in a Hyperlight but there is no way someone 6'2" would fit. Go with the Warbonnet, it is available in several different weights with one or two layers.

Quote Originally Posted by take-a-knee View Post
    At 5'8" I'm okay in a Hyperlight but there is no way someone 6'2" would fit. Go with the Warbonnet, it is available in several different weights with one or two layers.
    ok, deal.. I'll give the Blackbird a shot.

You've got to choose between webbring and line/strap when you order.

Which is better/easier?

Images

Your three best choices are the:

1) Warbonnet Blackbird
    2) Warbonnet Blackbird
    3) Warbonnet Blackbird
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Images

+1 on the three best choices... i'm not trying to influence you at all BUT you need a blackbird...

anyway i have the cinch buckles and straps with the blackbird. basically the straps are about 14 foot long with sewn in eyeholes at the ends.

set up goes a little something like this;

take the strap out of the hammock stuff sack and whip the end of the strap with a carabiner around the tree. clip back to strap to affix strap to tree.

walk to other tree, repeat.

walk away from hammock, pull straps so that foot end is a few inches higher than head end making sure that there is about a 25-30 degree angle on the straps from the tree to the hammock (note: this part is easy)

put a half hitch near the buckles at both straps.

put up a tarp... just as easy as putting up hammock.

hang underquilt from hammock, this can be done while drunk, sleepy, in pitch dark or all three. (usually all three happen at the same time)

go to sleep. (laugh at ground dwellers).

wake up (laugh at sore ground dwellers some more)

The videos on his site answered all my questions.

I've sent an email to place an order and am waiting to hear back.

I'm hiking the Foothills Trail March 6th - I hope I can get it by then. It'd be nice to get some experience with it so I could feel confident hammocking from NY to ME this spring/summer.

Images

The HH Hyperlite will not be comfortable at that height, as already pointed out. The JRB Bridge will easily accomodate your length, but beware of broad shoulders. Broad shoulders and Bridge hammocks don't go all that well together.

I adore my Warbonnet hammocks. For me, they are easily the most comfortable hammocks going. The Blackbirds are his heaviest design yet. The weight penelty is offset by a couple of handy features, like the storage shelf and the full length zipper on the bugnetting. But, if you want to go light go with the Traveler. I'm around 230ish and use a single layer 1.7 Traveler. I just put it on the scale in the stuff sack (DIY Spinn). Webbing, rings, and biners are all attached and the webbing length is 11' on each end. Total weight: 21.5 oz.

Be extremely difficult to find a more comfortable hammock at that weight. Using cord and huggers would cut the weight even more, but I'm lazy and like my webbing and rings.
    Tomorrow might just be too late and today is just beginning.

Cord is lighter but takes a little longer to setup and adjust, and you have to learn the right lashing (not that big of a deal).

Webbing is easier and quicker, but heavier and bulkier.

Which is better? Depends on what you value. They're both good systems with lots of fans.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Warbonnet: good. That is all.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

amen hooch, preach!

I weigh 220 lbs. after a big meal and sleep in a $20.00 hammock I bought at REI. It's 9.5 feet long and I can put a bug net over it when I want bug protection. I can sit up in it with my legs over the side and still have bug protection. The hammock is narrow enough that on really hot nights it doesn't wrap around me like my Hennessy used to (the Blackbird looks similar in that respect), and I get the full benefit of every little breeze. I once got stung through the bottom of my Hennessy. That cannot happen with a basic hammock and a bug net (Eagle's nest bug net is what I use).
    I pay a little weight penalty in the summer, but in the winter, when HH users are rigging over and under quilts, I just thread my hammock through my sleeping bag, jump in, and pull it up all around me (see my images here).
    I just thought that I should mention that there are options to spending big bucks for someone on a budget.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Warbonnet: good. That is all.
    Just sent my paypal payment... Now I gotta wait.

I guess that means I'll get it before March 6th (fingers crossed). I'm going to hike the Foothills Trail then and that'll be an ideal way of trying out the hammock.

I'm toying with the idea of carrying a hammock instead of a tent from NY to ME this summer. Looks like it's going to come in about 10 oz. heavier than my Lunar Duo when I add the tarp.... I suppose I cold carry a pint less water to compensate.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Just sent my paypal payment... Now I gotta wait.

I guess that means I'll get it before March 6th (fingers crossed). I'm going to hike the Foothills Trail then and that'll be an ideal way of trying out the hammock.

I'm toying with the idea of carrying a hammock instead of a tent from NY to ME this summer. Looks like it's going to come in about 10 oz. heavier than my Lunar Duo when I add the tarp.... I suppose I cold carry a pint less water to compensate.
    You'll sleep better, especially if you're used to using shelters and wooden tent platforms. A hammock is much softer.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++