WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: GA/NC Line

Images

Default GA/NC Line

Is there a road near the border. I am looking to section hike Springer to North Carolina but will need to be shuttled back to my car.

Thanks

Images

How close is "near". There is nothing within a few miles.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

There's a road 3 miles before and 7 miles after. By far, it is easier to negotiate the one after, at Deep Gap, which is a straight shot from Hwy 64 and a good road. I've heard varying reports on how good the other road is that comes into Blue Ridge Gap before the border.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Samurai Hiker
    Images

I plan on hiking the GA section of the AT this spring as well. Seven miles after the border is a good road to get picked up? Sounds good to me. If I'm gonna do the Approach Trail as well that would be around 90 miles from Amicola Falls to that road in NC right?
    Trail Name: Ronin

Ronin were the epitome of self-determination; they were independent men who dictated their own path in life, answering only to themselves and making decisions as they saw fit.

Springer to Atkins, VA

Yes....90 miles..give or take a mile.

There IS a road at Deep Gap, just before Standing Indian. It isnt an easy exit point. It is drivable. It would be similar to being at US42 at Springer and expecting to be able to hitch a ride out of there. You could get lucky and find someone to give you a ride out of Deep Gap, or you might have to hike an additional 3.5 miles down to Standing Indian Campground (via Kimsey Creek Trail) and get a ride from there.

It isnt going to be easy to get a shuttle from Deep Gap to Springer. It wont be real easy getting a shuttle from Dicks Creek Gap either, but it takes one leg out of the trip.

Basically, what is likely to happen is that you would get Ron Haven to shuttle you from Franklin to Hiawassee, then get one of the hostel owners to shuttle you to Blairsville/Neels Gap, then get someone to shuttle you to Amicalola or Springer from there.

Also note that the road to Deep Gap is closed during the winter months. I think it opens March 1st each year, but that may vary depending on winter weather conditions.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

You would be extremely fortunate to find a ride down the mountain to US-64 from Deep Gap, so that route is 5-6 miles long (the forest road appears to parallel US-64 within 50 yards for half a mile or so). You can hike the 3.5-4.0 miles down Kimsey Creek Trail, which is quite lovely on a sunny evening, but you'll still be challenged to find a ride out to US-64. I ran into the campground "warden" who drove me out for 5 bucks, but there wasn't any traffic to speak of in early April.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Ox97GaMe View Post
    There IS a road at Deep Gap, just before Standing Indian. It isnt an easy exit point. It is drivable. It would be similar to being at US42 at Springer and expecting to be able to hitch a ride out of there. You could get lucky and find someone to give you a ride out of Deep Gap, or you might have to hike an additional 3.5 miles down to Standing Indian Campground (via Kimsey Creek Trail) and get a ride from there.

It isnt going to be easy to get a shuttle from Deep Gap to Springer. It wont be real easy getting a shuttle from Dicks Creek Gap either, but it takes one leg out of the trip.

Basically, what is likely to happen is that you would get Ron Haven to shuttle you from Franklin to Hiawassee, then get one of the hostel owners to shuttle you to Blairsville/Neels Gap, then get someone to shuttle you to Amicalola or Springer from there.

Also note that the road to Deep Gap is closed during the winter months. I think it opens March 1st each year, but that may vary depending on winter weather conditions.
    Standing Indian Campground is undergoing repairs and re-build. It closed at end of October (earlier than usual) and will probably be opening a little later than usual this year. Check with the ranger district if you plan to use this as an exit point.
    Rockdawg69

Caution: Falling and Rolling Rocks have the Right-of-Way!!!!

I may be wrong but I believe he is wanting to set one yp prior to his hike...is that going to be a problem? I am planning to hike the same area aroung first week of April. I was told a great idea...catch a shuttle up and hike back down to my vehicle, when I arrive no waiting on shuttle. I think its a great idea. Any recommendations for a shuttle?

Tagging that GA/NC border seems to be a hard thing to accomplish. People always want to do it but the problem is the lack of good roads, as mentioned above. Getting a shuttle out there may be kind of pricey as well.

One idea I have is to get off at Dick's Creek Gap and stay in Hiawassee somewhere and get a ride back to the trail in the morning ready to slackpack to the border and back, for another night in town.

The slackpack miles woud be right around 18 miles I think, not to bad for a day slackpacking in my book.
    Schnikel

Images

There is a dirt road at Blue Ridge Gap, a couple of miles south of the GA/NC border. That's where we started our GA section last March because the gate was closed on the road to Deep Gap.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

I made it up Blue Ridge Gap last summer. You'll need high clearance and it is steep in some places
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Images

You might give Ron Haven (Budget Inn of Franklin,NC 828-524-4403) a call. I KNOW he knows how to get to Blue Ridge Gap. Just not sure if he shuttles as far as Springer.

Geezer

Why walk 7 miles beyond the NC/GA line to get to a place you have to hike out of in order to get to a road where you may have a hard time hitching to a place where you will have to arrange a 100-mile shuttle to Springer?

When you get to the NC/GA state line, just turn around and walk the 8 miles back (downhill) to Dick's Creek Gap and get an easy hitch to Hiawassee. A shuttle from Hiawassee to Springer is easier to arrange than one from Standing Indian Campground to Springer.
    Frosty

If you are going to pick up where you left off next time it doesn't make sense to tag the border and backtrack because you'll have to go thru the same gyrations next hike.

Easiest and cheapest shuttle would be Dicks Creek Gap to Springer.

The road to Blue Rige Gap can be iffy. Sometimes passable, sometimes not. If you or a friend are driving then check road conditions here first. Mother Nature is the maintainer of the section and can give you the scoop.

You can hike to Deep Gap. NC and leave from there or hike 3.5 miles on the Kimsey Creek Trail to Standing Indian Campground. Going to SIC would be my choice, all things being equal.

Among others, Hiker Hostel covers Springer to Blue Ridge Gap. Survivor Dave covers Springer to Fontana (but I don't know about Blue Ridge Gap with that fancy car of his).

Really not that difficult. And you're not going to have to hire 3 different shuttlers (!) to get from point A to point B.

I left my car at Deep Gap and hiked to it. No problems. The parking there is large enough for several cars.

Images

Default Road to Blue Ridge Gap

The road to Blue Ridge Gap is in the worst shape. I haven't been up there in about a month but it has become deeply rutted and mushy with the heavy rains we have had over the past months. Many large rocks are exposed. It is possible for a high clearance vehicle and a brave driver to make it.

Deep Gap is a much better option at this point.
    Sue Buak

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    When you get to the NC/GA state line, just turn around and walk the 8 miles back (downhill) to Dick's Creek Gap and get an easy hitch to Hiawassee. A shuttle from Hiawassee to Springer is easier to arrange than one from Standing Indian Campground to Springer.
    Pretty sure you could get Ron Haven to pick you up at Standing Indian. Dead bang he'll pick up hikers at Winding Stair Gap.
    Me no care, me here free beer. Tap keg, please?

Ron Haven shuttled me and a friend from Franklin to Neels Gap 4 years ago. He'll do it from Deep Gap, NC or get someone to, unless things have changed.

Slowest Hiker On Earth

The road to Blue Ridge Gap is pretty rough right now.
    I tried to get up it last weekend. I was actually a bit scared to keep going and turned around.

I would either head to Deep Gap or do a turn around as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++