Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by DrRichardCranium View Post
    GMcClain, that sort of behavior doesn't sound like Rainbow People at all. They don't even use money at the Gatherings.
    So how do they get food and gas if they don't use money?
    Frosty

They do use money but I guess not at their "gatherings".
    I gave a girl a ride out of the ONF a few years back. She had two large garbage bags full of dirty cloths. I dropped her at the first self laundry we came to. When she got out of my truck she ask me for some money. I declined (probably because I didn't have any cash) and she went off on me. I had a can of coke sitting in the console and she accused me of drinking and driving. I have mostly avoided the rainbow people since then.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Images

Quote Originally Posted by moytoy View Post
    .... I have mostly avoided the rainbow people since then.
    After reading up on these Yayos, it seems like the best course of action...
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

I've been to Rainbow gatherings in Alabama and one in California.
    There was a world of difference between the two.

I wouldn't hesitate to go to another one out west.
    It was on my first PCT hike and one of the highlights of that trip.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

http://welcomehere.org/media.php

"The Rainbow Family of Living Light, sometimes known as the "Rainbow Tribe", is an international loose affiliation of individuals who have a common goal of trying to achieve peace and love on Earth. "

Yep - lookin' at the videos, I can tell that they are ALL about "peace and love", esp. for the LEOs. Yep, peace and love. I can hear one guy trying to calm the peaceful and loving crowd down, though. Kudos to him (or the granola bar of his choice).

"The use of the phrase: Living Light in the longer title is a reference to "living lightly", or living with little mass or impact on the environment. "

I'm wondering how little an impact that crowd of people and any others like them have on where ever they decide to squat.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Was just down at the sea gypsy village nearby my house with my son. (I live in Phuket, Thailand)
    We bought some food and went down there to watch the boats come in.
    These people remind me of Rainbow people.
    They live off the sea.
    Although they have no land they can legally call their own, they have been using some of the nearby beaches for generations and generations (long before this was a touristy island)
    They are friendly and I think have a hard time understanding some of the laws. Like putting their children in schools. They teach their children different ways to fish, make nets, make and set traps, steer through the waves, build or repair a boat, eat fish, dive for lobsters, etc. every day.
    Then the government comes around telling them their kids have to be in school, or they have to move off the land.

They don't comply.

are discriminated against terribly.
    They believe that the way they live is the correct way. Nature's way so to say.

Call it slightly off-topic but there are similarities and these people do have a right to be on public land.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

My take on this is such..
    I dont mind sharing the woods, trails and campsites with anyone....but the only problems I have with these folks is that they destroy the land, leave trash behind, crap and pee right on the trail or right next to it without burying it, let their dogs run loose, whom I have had charge me, and most of them are mangie...the dogs I mean...and most peoples...
    But the biggest problem I have, is the fear they instill in visitors and hikers alike.
    |.............| Put this on your
    |... *..*....| profile if you have
    |....\o/.....| ever walked into a
    |.....|......| Patio Door that was
    |..../.\.....| CLOSED!!!!!!
    |.............|

Registered User DrRichardCranium's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Hmm, well, everyone who attends a Rainbow Gathering is one of those scary scary people. I attended in '87. At that time I was soon to start work as a lab technician at the Dana Farber Cancer Institute. Since that time I've worked, gone to grad school, and generally been a productive member of society. I don't think I'm a particularly scary person.

My point is that most of the Rainbow people lead normal lives, and then just show up at these Gatherings for a week during the summer. Then they go back to their lives.

They're not some bizarre nomadic tribe living permanently apart from society.
    "Katahdin barada nikto."

Images

I see what you mean, Cranium. It's kinda like judging Americans after seeing them only at the mardi gras parade in New Orleans. (kind of, but not the best analogy)
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

Isn't this just a Phish concert without the band?

(I keeeed, I keeeed!)

Quote Originally Posted by BumpJumper View Post
    ....but the only problems I have with these folks is that they destroy the land, leave trash behind, crap and pee right on the trail or right next to it without burying it . . .
    Well, I can't say, because I've never been to one of these, and I definitely haven't been around to see the aftermath, but if this is true:

"Approximately 40 to 50 Rainbow volunteers were expected to stay behind and work with Forest Service personnel to rehabilitate the area -- a job that probably won't be completed until August, according to the release."

. . . then there isn't as much of a problem as it might appear. It's kind of like going to the campground at Traildays on Sunday morning. Yeah, it looks trashed. But by Monday morning it's as clean as it was before. Because hikers clean it up.

But whatever else may or may not be true, I think we should all agree that this is one of the funniest sentences ever written:

"Last year, a man was badly beaten at a campsite by a man known only as 'Buddha.'"
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Registered User DrRichardCranium's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000 View Post

But whatever else may or may not be true, I think we should all agree that this is one of the funniest sentences ever written:

"Last year, a man was badly beaten at a campsite by a man known only as 'Buddha.'"
    "Boot to the head!"
    "Katahdin barada nikto."

Images

I don't know but one of these days I hope that the Freeman of Montana and the Rainbow people share a campground for a gathering. That is one I will drive out for.
    Often Accused, Often Guilty but Seldom Guilty of What I am Accused.

I'm having fun with the images of a "dirty license plate".....

As someone said, it's public land, they have a right to be there. They are just as entitled as I am. But that doesn't make me feel any more comfortable around some of them or several other types of people I find in the forest. The opinion of everyone here seems to be fairly mixed it seems. I have not personally had a bad encounter with them that would set them apart from any other people group I may encounter. But if they look unsavory then I'll probably avoid them. If I look unsavory then I can't expect others to warmly welcome me. I've felt that way after being on the trail for days in need of a serious shower. I don't think I would have been offended if I was booted out of a gas station or something. From what everyone has said I think the best way to look at it is this. Try not to judge them as a group. Take each individual for who they are. This is a lesson I will try to learn.
    Travis a.k.a. Rev

~Reformed Hiker~

Images

I never said "all" and I must point out I have referred to them as "folks"...
    I have personal experiences with the "group" and that is what, and only what I base what I say about them on....
    Just last week, I was at Farles Prarie with Bluegill and her grand kids...a thru hiker was at the lake waiting his pick up ride.
    We hung out with him all day and then the rainbow people came up and started filling their water jugs with water at the pump. The next thing I know, the grand kids, the hiker and the rainbow people were playing football next to our campfire...so..
    I have experienced good and bad with the "folks".
    |.............| Put this on your
    |... *..*....| profile if you have
    |....\o/.....| ever walked into a
    |.....|......| Patio Door that was
    |..../.\.....| CLOSED!!!!!!
    |.............|

Quote Originally Posted by GMcClain20 View Post
    ...Try not to judge them as a group. Take each individual for who they are. This is a lesson I will try to learn.
    I agree with that; I'm sure there's all types that are attracted to these gatherings and probably most are good people.

However, I just don't get the whole point of the movement. It's one thing to be part of an unofficial mass of people that want to have get-togethers, but when they, in addition to that, try and make statements about how we should live our lives then they open a can of worms.

There are so many stupid things on their website; what's the deal with touting non-consumerism as some kind of sin against the earth Yet they fully participate in consumerism so they can spend time with mother earth.

One Word: Naivete

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    I agree with that; I'm sure there's all types that are attracted to these gatherings and probably most are good people.

However, I just don't get the whole point of the movement. It's one thing to be part of an unofficial mass of people that want to have get-togethers, but when they, in addition to that, try and make statements about how we should live our lives then they open a can of worms.

There are so many stupid things on their website; what's the deal with touting non-consumerism as some kind of sin against the earth Yet they fully participate in consumerism so they can spend time with mother earth.

One Word: Naivete

Not that I don't agree with your sentiments but the same could be said about so many other social movements. Hypocrisy is an all to common sin.
    Travis a.k.a. Rev

~Reformed Hiker~

Two minutes of Internet research just revealed that while it hasn't been selected yet, 6 out of 7 (Kentucky is the exception) out of the possible locations for the 2010 Rainbow Gathering are Trail states. (TN, NC, WV, PA, VT, NH)

Wherever they decide to have this thing, I sure look forward to being hundreds of miles away at the time, tho if it's in PA, it could get interesting, as the annual Gathering is usually the first week in July.

Gee, maybe they could have it in Gettsyburg! Imagine 30,000 smelly dreadlocked hippies and 200,000 large people in Winnebagos all together for the same week.

Pretty funny to think about as long as you're not in attendance.

Quote Originally Posted by Slosteppin View Post
    One guy I met, dressed in camo fatigues, was walking along the FT swinging a machette. I said hi, how ya doin? He said hi and we both kept walking. I assumed he was after firewood. I was glad I wasn't planning to camp in that area.
    I've met a guy that matches that description on the FT towards the sanford area I had a nice talk with him, hes a volunteer. could be the same guy.
    Trail name- Jingles.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++