Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Yesterday I was about to get on I-95 in Ocala and notice three people and three dogs walking down HWY 27. They were heading east and I was heading west. I pegged them as rainbow people and then I just couldn't help myself. I had to find out if I was right. I made the u turn and caught them as they were going in to the Burger King. The two guys were in the parking lot with the dogs so I parked and walked over and ask if they were rainbow people. They were and we had a brief conversation. They were bummed when I told them that they were still 25 miles from the Forest. Then they wanted to know if I had a cell phone they could use. I did have a cell in my pocket but these guys were filthy and they were passing a cig. butt around, sucking out the last little bit on nicotine they could. I just couldn't see them pawing my cell. I said no, no cell phone. I parted with them and felt a little guilty about the cell lie.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Sounds like a group of your typical eco-friendly environmentalist

Wallowing in my own filth Mr. Magoo's Avatar

Why feel guilty? They live that way, by choice.

Quote Originally Posted by moytoy View Post
    I just couldn't see them pawing my cell. I said no, no cell phone. I parted with them and felt a little guilty about the cell lie.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo View Post
    Why feel guilty? They live that way, by choice.
    Not trying to be rude here, but maybe because when you have the opportunity to help someone(regardless of who it is) and you don't, sometimes you feel guilty.

Wallowing in my own filth Mr. Magoo's Avatar

You're not being rude... You're entitled to your opinion. I think that if any of them were in trouble, the cell phone use would not have been an issue.

The way I see it, any time someone lives off the mainstream way of living, i.e. big house, 4 suv's out front, 100,000$ year job,etc, etc, the media, officials, public eye, police, ATF, FBI and anyone else designated as such is going to harass you and belittle you..Its just the way of our society..

Unless these people are actually harming you, I would just leave them alon and let them be..They are living a way that is right to them..I have iften heard that some trail towns years ago pretty much shut oit thru hikers too because of the negative hikers that Do hike the trail..I'm saying this because there is more than one group of poeple that has a bad rap..Don';t judge..

Graywolf
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

It's like...ever been to a football game?

The freaks came to Idaho years ago. they were in a spot where the salmon were running thru streams and left a heck of a mess. They left trash in the fields and in the streams. It took volunteers weeks to get it cleaned up afterwards. I am not saying that Rainbow people are bad. But, they left one heck of a mess in a beautiful area in Idaho.
    I hope they never come back, for their own sake.

Quote Originally Posted by Graywolf View Post
    The way I see it, any time someone lives off the mainstream way of living, i.e. big house, 4 suv's out front, 100,000$ year job,etc, etc, the media, officials, public eye, police, ATF, FBI and anyone else designated as such is going to harass you and belittle you..Its just the way of our society..
    Graywolf
    I don't own a car, don't even know how to drive (long story), I don't have a house and don't want one. I do work, and don't make 100k a year, almost though.

However, proof of say, a mess or at worse not even following Leave No Trace suggestions damages the public's access to public land. Yes they can come up with any number of fancy words to put in place to not allow us in to any given bit of pub land, we all know this. I only would comment as far as how their actions impact the general use of these areas, not their lifestyle of choice.

Lastly, I don't think that the prospect of being beaten up while hiking by a guy named Buddha welcomes people to the outdoors. Florida or anywhere else.
    -Omar Morales
    Future AT hiker

Images

Quote Originally Posted by trailangelbronco View Post
    The freaks came to Idaho years ago. they were in a spot where the salmon were running thru streams and left a heck of a mess. They left trash in the fields and in the streams. It took volunteers weeks to get it cleaned up afterwards. I am not saying that Rainbow people are bad. But, they left one heck of a mess in a beautiful area in Idaho.
    I hope they never come back, for their own sake.
    Why? You gonna lump 'em up? Show them your brand of trail angel-ing?

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler View Post
    Why? You gonna lump 'em up? Show them your brand of trail angel-ing?
    Agreed. . . sounds like ideological sour grapes. . .

Default Rainbow people

http://www.twelvetribes.com/

These folks welcome them with open arms.

i particularly love rainbow thru-hikers who are into phish and the dead. they're always welcomed with open arms at my place

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++