WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Ursack may be an option this year on the JMT

What's going on with Ursack? January 13, 2010
    It appears that Ursack will be allowed almost everywhere in the Sierra this year except Yosemite National Park and three areas (Rae Lakes, Dusy Basin, Rock Creek) of SEKI. We calculate that Ursack may be used on more than 98% of the Pacific Crest Trail. SIBBG, the Sierra Agency Black Bear Group, no longer exists. There are no standardized bear canister tests--each Superintendent of Forest Service Manager makes the decision for his or her own area. While Ursack will likely submit the S29 AllWhite Hybrid for consideration by Yosemite and SEKI, there can be no assurance of approval given those parks lack of testing criteria and/or their historical antipathy toward Ursack.
    so if you skip Yosemite, or start in Tuolumne Meadows and exit the park over Donohue before your first camp, you may be able to do the JMT with an Ursack now. I'd stil check with various ranger offices such as Lone Pine, as the Whitney Zone has been bear canister only.

This sounds like good news. I'd love to reshelve my old Garcia can and start using my Ursack again. I just wish this would have happened last year when I was hiking the PCT.

++ New Posts ++