WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

:banana What and How Do You carry Food In

Hi just wonder whay you guys carry your food in i mean instead of ziplock bags
    have you ever use bread bags.Since most food post i read have said they get some kind of bread alone the way could you just use the bread bags to keep your stuff. Oh yet
    if you did use bread bags did you have any problem with stuff leaking out of them.
    Just trying to cut cost on ziplocks just check on price at my three local food stores
    price for a box gallon bags 4.59 box of quart bags 3.69

I use cheap stuff sacks. You can get a three pack from Walmart for 10 bucks. I have accumulated several from various pieces gear too.
    Cabin Fever
    You need God—to hope, to care, to love, to live.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Fever View Post
    I use cheap stuff sacks. You can get a three pack from Walmart for 10 bucks. I have accumulated several from various pieces gear too.
    I think he means what to put the raw food in, not what to carry it all in. A friend of mine uses bread bags a lot. The only problem is they aren't very durable so they have to be replaced more frequently than zip-locks. I suppose you could start saving them at home to have a supply.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Garlic
    Images

I'll start a hike with a few ziplocks from the kitchen. When they get broken or too dirty, I'll start using anything else that food comes in, mostly resealable tortilla bags (I get lots of mileage from those and prefer tortillas to bread anyway).
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Registered User Pacific Tortuga's Avatar
    Images

Old style, yellow Ursak, with two bags together. I only use one bag at a time.
    I bought soooo many things for my hike that I returned or decided not to use.
    I said to h$11 with it, I'm gioing to use the one Ursak bag, glad I did, never had problems with mice.

Images

+1 on the walmart bags. depending on how long i'm staying out, i'll use the medium one which also happens to be bright orage. it fits more than 2 days of food. the bags aren't that expensive either. out here i got it for 7 bucks.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I just use grocery bags to separate out my food and then a waterproof bag for hanging

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by srestrepo View Post
    +1 on the walmart bags. depending on how long i'm staying out, i'll use the medium one which also happens to be bright orage. it fits more than 2 days of food. the bags aren't that expensive either. out here i got it for 7 bucks.
    Ditto on those bags. I am leaving tomorrow for an solo shake down using the orange one for my food/ bear bag. Water proof,light weight, I need to by more of them!

Images

HUGE homemade stuff sack with zip-locks for segregating the parts. I wore out two food bags in 800 miles. Gotta eat.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    HUGE homemade stuff sack with zip-locks for segregating the parts. I wore out two food bags in 800 miles. Gotta eat.

Need to fuel the machine!!!!!

2010 complete

practically everything I carry is in a zip lock bag including my clothes. I don't like food smells or messes. Don't buy cheap ones from Walgreens either. I learned that lesson.

Another thumbs up on the WalMart stuff sacks. I use the biggest one because it's large enough to fit my cooking gear along with the food. Waterproof too, good for hanging. Inside, it's ziplocks and odor-block bags.

Since the design of my backpack is "different" I use Pringles cans.

Images

Varying sized ziplock bags in several sylnytlon stuff sacks. Everything is in a ZL and every ZL is in a SS.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Quote Originally Posted by Doooglas View Post
    Since the design of my backpack is "different" I use Pringles cans.
    that's a really good idea actually.. you could even use the for a regular backpack, lay them sideways and pack clothes around them. ive also got a few old cylindrical paintball canisters that aren't as tall as a pringles can but are very durable and seal better than a pringles can. im sure you could find them not too expensive on ebay-

I've lost my confidence in the walmart dry bags on a recent trip. I've been using the green (large one) for the past two years as it will hold 5 days food plus my jetboil. However on a recent trip I returned in the morning to find it laying on the ground. I've always used a carabiner to clip on to the clip handle of the bag. Well the vinyl folding peice attached to the plastic clips seperated from the nylon where it's stiched together.. So now i'm using the Sea To Summit Trash Bag 20L.

http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorge.../STS0006M.html

Yes its more money, but much more durable and well built.. I'm willing to spend extra to ensure my food is safe and secure..

Inside of this my meals are organized in freezer bags or vaccum sealed bags..

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I ran across a SOBO thru-hiker last October who was storing all of his food in a series of rectangular, stackable plastic boxes similar to GladWare containers.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

From home: Freezer zip locks.
    On trail, if the zip locks are worn out: tortilla, jerky, dried fruit, etc. type zip lock thingys, I don't get traditional loaf bread on the trail, so bread bags are out for me.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    I just use grocery bags to separate out my food and then a waterproof bag for hanging
    I do the same thing. One grocery bag per day. Items like trail mix and when I bring something like summer sausage I place those in ziplock bags.

I then use the empty grocery bags for packing out trash, dirty socks and the like. Helps keep the smell down.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

When using dried meals from home, I keeps several meals in gallon ziplocks (each meal is in a fold and close sandwich bag with twist tie) and keep all other food in its package or loose in my food bag. For the main food bag I use a 25L Outdoor Research Durable dry bag.

I actually have another bag coming that I'm going to try as a food bag, 25L Outdoor Research Ultralight dry bag. it came up for under $10 on SAC and I figure it's worth trying it to cut weight down.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++