WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Most stuff is in ziplocs, inside a big food bag. I use bread bags for trash.
    "I too am not a bit untamed, I too am untranslatable,
    I sound my barbaric yawp over the roofs of the world." - W. W.

obligatory website link

Sometimes I use a reusable grocery freezer bag my wife bought at the grocery store for transporting frozen food home from the store. While they won't keep ice cream frozen for two days in July or anything like that, they will extend the life of cheese or cold cuts by a day or so. They are pretty light weight and surprisingly strong.

Of course that is just the outer bag holding all the cold stuff each item has its own zip lock or other bag.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Quote Originally Posted by DAJA View Post
    I've lost my confidence in the walmart dry bags on a recent trip. I've been using the green (large one) for the past two years

I've always used a carabiner to clip on to the clip handle of the bag. Well the vinyl folding peice attached to the plastic clips seperated from the nylon where it's stiched together.. So now i'm using the Sea To Summit Trash Bag 20L.

Yes its more money, but much more durable and well built..
    The three bag package of stuff sacks from Wal Mart is 10 Dollars. If you used it for two years, I would say you got your ten dollars worth. Nothing lasts forever...

#1 stomach. #2 some nike bag w/ emblem long removed, like a stuff sack w/o the holes in the side, as I don't want scent or crumbs to escape if a hole appears. #3things that smell more or are fragile-chips/tortillas, bread, snacks, etc. I put in a wal-marts bag and tie to the outside of my pack. I double bag it so the inside of the two holds trash. It keeps the scent from my gear since I sleep w/ them and try to put my odorific socks and etc. on top of this stuff. I also wash out my wrappers sometimes to get any odors out.

I am dirtbagging it, so any cheap-good hints are very appreciated.

Free or cheap containers: Pringles/Lays cans, Tennis Ball cans. Some pint milk containers that have screw on lids are very rugged. I saved 3 egg nog pint bottles at Christmas that meet the requirements.
    And the following, which my wife thinks I am crazy for, but they are great....the little watertight screw on lid conatiners they give you for urine tests. Ask your Doctor/nurse, they may give you some once thet hear about your hike. They are sterile, and rugged, can be labled, and are watertight. Great for spices/matches/meds, etc.
    I am also using the good Ziplock bags much like Medic is doing.
    Glad to see the Walmart stuff sacks are good, was considering the 3 for 10 dollar multipack and now I will buy them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++