WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Trail Days 2010

Stir Fry

Default Trail Days 2010

How safe it your gear when you are away from your tent during trail days? Or do you need to pack up and take it with ou each day.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I would. Unless you are at a place where it can be locked up like in a friend's car or where someone can keep an eye on it for you.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

You can do a search on whiteblaze for "pack" and "theft" or stolen pack or trail days and theft or any number of combinations. You'll find plenty of information and anecdotes.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Images

Been there 10 of the last 12 years and have never had a problem.
    I've read online afterwards about "huge number of thefts", etc. But I can't think of anyone I've actually met that has been robbed.

Do I leave my wallet, camera, cash, etc in the tent? Nope.
    Does theft happen? Yep.

Be smart but not panicked and you will be fine.

Maybe explode your pack inside of your tent so that if someone wants to take your stuff they will need to repack it or sort thru all of your dirty clothes first.
    What? Me worry??

Registered User DrRichardCranium's Avatar
    Journal Entries

I've always said someone could make some easy money by providing storage space for Traildays participants for a modest fee.
    "Katahdin barada nikto."

Was hanging at Mojos this morning and rumor has it that the town has given quite a bit of the toxic TD CG to the county for some new ballfields.

Local hikers were debating new alternatives and wondering why, along with where hikers would stay this year. Moving TD to Hot Springs was LWs suggestion and it does have it merits. The only thing I dislike about Hot Springs is they charge hikers extra to drink at the local pub(s?)!

Quote Originally Posted by Nean View Post
    Was hanging at Mojos this morning and rumor has it that the town has given quite a bit of the toxic TD CG to the county for some new ballfields.

Local hikers were debating new alternatives and wondering why, along with where hikers would stay this year. Moving TD to Hot Springs was LWs suggestion and it does have it merits. The only thing I dislike about Hot Springs is they charge hikers extra to drink at the local pub(s?)!
    i concur with nean

Images

Default Always side with caution

Ya know... with the feel, the people, the good "vibe" you get at a hiking gathering, such as T.Days... one get an easy sense of trust for thier fellow hiker. Unfortunately, there def are some bad apples.

I have talked with a small handfull of fellow hikers that have been on the negative end of trail theft. And, I myself have had $ and a headlamp swiped from a hiker who I was volunteering with. This hiker went on to take over $2,000 from a church in VA. I suspect he we will never surface again or have his ass kicked in.

So yes, I would take a few minutes at T.Days to secure my items and not leave any gear around for the small number of clepto's that do exist at T.days..

Id sure like to catch one in action... best to you
    ~ round here, KTR

2010 complete

Quote Originally Posted by Nean View Post

Local hikers were debating new alternatives and wondering why, along with where hikers would stay this year. Moving TD to Hot Springs was LWs suggestion and it does have it merits.
    for some reason, I don't follow what you are saying. What exactly are you saying?

Professional Delivery Boy Emeritus Belew's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by modiyooch View Post
    for some reason, I don't follow what you are saying. What exactly are you saying?
    Nean was passing time and the coffee house in Damascus. The town of Damascus may or may not have decided to build baseball fields on the same land that the trail daze campground is on. If they build baseball fields the hikers will need different land to camp on during trail daze because the old campground will be baseball fields. Lone Wolf sugested moving trail daze to Hot Springs and Nean thinks that may be a good thing.

I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Belew View Post
    Nean was passing time and the coffee house in Damascus. The town of Damascus may or may not have decided to build baseball fields on the same land that the trail daze campground is on. If they build baseball fields the hikers will need different land to camp on during trail daze because the old campground will be baseball fields. Lone Wolf sugested moving trail daze to Hot Springs and Nean thinks that may be a good thing.

I hope this helps.
    construction on the new ballfields at the present Trail Days campsite starts next month

Images

Does the town think they will bring in more money with ballfields than a few days camp fees?
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

Quote Originally Posted by Lugnut View Post
    Does the town think they will bring in more money with ballfields than a few days camp fees?
    it ain't about money. that land sits idle for 360 days per year. these ballfields have been in planning for a few years. it's the county that's building them. the town donated the land. children of the town and county are more important than hikers

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    it ain't about money. that land sits idle for 360 days per year. these ballfields have been in planning for a few years. it's the county that's building them. the town donated the land. children of the town and county are more important than hikers
    Agreed. It's nice to know it's not about the money because in most cases it is.
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

Images

children of the town and county are more important than hikers
    your best post ever

Images

I know the old ballfield gets a lot of use. It could be the best thing going in Damasus that brings folks together.

Trail Days has run it's course

Journal Entries
    Images

How much does the town spend on Trail Days, L. Wolf?

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    How much does the town spend on Trail Days, L. Wolf?
    i don't know what they spend

Images

I miss the background noise of the ballpark.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++