WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Tight external hip rotators and/or IT bands can impinge on the sciatic nerve, causing pain. Myofascial release may help to relieve the pain.
    Also, the piriformis muscle could be impinging the sciatic nerve, so massage and stretching of that area can greatly help with the symptoms.
    The piriformis *is* an external hip rotator. And I agree, piriformis syndrome is a bitch.

Images

I had a very active uncle that had back problems due to sciatica nerve problems. Over a couple of years he went to all kinds of doctors and tried everything they suggested until they got to surgery. He wouldn't let them cut into his back. Out of desperation he tried accupucture and accupreassure and was cured in a few months and was back to playing sports.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default TENS and Backpacking

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    I found hiking and carry a reasonable load on a good backpack helped my back tremendously. And even straightened my upper spine somewhat.

What kind of mattress do you sleep on? I also use pillows for my legs.
    I was down for 6months(3x)and couldnt drive.i had to lay in the back seat to get to PT and this wasnt fun at all.After i retire from the Army Res.i stop PT and got up to 249lbs and i hated that.My family and i was headed to cherokee in Asheville,NC.so i was going hiking over night.from fontana dam to campsite113,i got halfway up and had to turn around,after that i took a trip to the VA to get checked out(checked out Good).Now im 227lbs ride my bike every day and hike/backpack every weekend.As of right now i feel great and im even planning a hike from GA/HF,WV as long as the back holds up.Plus i sleep in a hammock and that helps the back tremendously.Hope you get better.HS

Images

I have a friend with sciatica pain he just started using an inversion bed, hangs in it 2-3 times a day and he says it is helping him.
    WalkingStick"75"

Images

Thanks everyone, because of Whiteblaze and this great hiking community yet another hiker has benefitted from this site. Periformis. Pretty friggin painful, I have to have this solved by late March.......miss hiking badly.

Physical therapist, message therapist taught me lots of stretches. Learn about muscle imbalances, too That is what cured me, but it did take a few months.
    Missed a hike last fall, but I am in good shape now. X-rays might not show anything. Before using the therapy, I saw a doctor, who in turn recommended physical therapy.

Google "Active Isolated Stretching"

http://www.stretchingusa.com/

Google Muscle Imbalances:

http://www.losethebackpain.com/treat...cetherapy.html

Back pain is the most common problem for which people have to miss work. You are not alone.

Foam roller than nalgene bottle. Run barefoot. Yoga Slackline

How flexible are your hamsting muscles. Sometimes tightened or shorten hamsting muscles can cause back problems. Especially on hikers who tend to have very strong quads. If the hams aren't strengthen on par with the quads in front or are not flexible it throws everything out of whack.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++