WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default New sleeping bag

Looking to upgrade sleeping bag with 800+ down. Looking for a three season bag. Should I get a 20 or 30 degree bag? I have done some reading on the subject but look for real experience feedback. I do not do a lot of summer hikes mostly spring and fall. Planning to section hike Smoky Mountains north of newfound gap in mid April. Yes, I know the weather can make some big swing in temp. Mainly section hiking the AT but planning a trip out west (northwest) in the next couple of years.

if $ allows for only one down bag, I think you have to go with the 20 degree bag. The 30 leaves a huge gap to be filled in Fall and Winter camping...

Images

Buy yourself a Western Mountaineering Ultralite Super. It is exactly what you are looking for.

Journal Entries

$ not factor as much a factor as looking for multi tasker. Looking at the Western Mountaineering Ultralie Super.

Journal Entries

Looked at the Western Mountaineering Ultralite Super 30 degree.

Images

I have read here once where Western Mountaineering bags tend to be rated somewhat conservative so a 30 degree bag could actually be closer to a 20 degree bag.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

One night in a bag that is not warm enough is one too many. Go for a quality 20 degree bag. You can always use it as a quilt in warm weather and not overheat. It will last for many years, as well.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

Quote Originally Posted by McFrancis View Post
    Looked at the Western Mountaineering Ultralite Super 30 degree.
    Ultralite Super is a 20 degree bag, not 30, and is very conservatively rated.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

30 degree is not 3 season, IMO. With the seasons you hike, 20 degree is appropriate.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

How about the 25 degree rated Montbell, ultralight, superstretch, downhugger, #2 ?
    I think it's pretty acurately rated. I've used mine into the high teens with just a top and bottom base layer on. In warm weather I leave the zipper all the way down and use it as a blanket.

Get yourself a 20 degree Western Mountaineering bag w/a full zip and be done with it.

The Western Mountaineering bags are of impeccable quality. If I could fit in one, I'd own one. That being said, if you're a bigger person, like me; you'll really like a MontBell SS #2 bag. The SuperStretch bags are also good if you're an "active" sleeper. Just as LIhikers said, these bags are extremely accurately rated.

Garlic
    Images

My trip in the Smokies in April of '08 had a couple of nights in the teens. My Marmot Helium 15 kept me on the trail then. Excellent bag.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Sounds like you need a 20 degree bag. Can't go wrong with WM, MBell, (i have the ulss 800 #2, agree with above comments) Marmot, Ffriends.

Spend the $$$, last bag you will need most likely if you take care of it.

I use mine quilted all the time, love it. Look carefully at the size specs, and if possible try one out, knowing the exact specs on size you try. That can give you reference on ones that you don't have access to, fit wise.

Usually, the difference in 30 to 20 bags is draft collar and lots more down, for not much more weight, as the difference is usually all down, weight wise.

Images

When you say "spring and fall," do you mean May and September, or March and November? Whole different set of bag and clothing requirements there.

If you mean May and September, a good 30-F bag will be fine on the Southern AT. For March and November, I'd want a 20-F or warmer bag. We own both Western Mountaineering and Montbell UL Super Stretch bags. They are well made and true to their ratings for us.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Journal Entries

Great and thanks, got some excellent feedback and I will check ok the Montbell. The quilting idea sounds good. Already tried on the WM not bad. I will see if I can find a Montbell. Oct and April are the months that I will be hiking in the south but might spend time in the big mountains out west.

Hike smarter, not harder.

WM bags are gorgeous, and very conservatively rated. A lifetime bag, if taken care of. And made in the USA, not offshore.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

I own the WM Ultralite, and can attest it is a heck of a bag. What I didn't know is they make a wide version, the Alpenlite, which is 64" at the shoulder. But that is extremely wide- there is the Versalite for an ounce more which is 62" wide and rated to 10 degrees. Very nice bags.
    "I always told you I was more of a Westerner than an Easterner"
    -Theodore Roosevelt

Appalachian Trail 2008

Colorado Trail 2010

Journal Entries

Feathered Friends has excellent bags

Images

I agree with Bill, One night cold is too many.
    Check out the bags at campmor too. I have the 20* down (bought on WB) It is my favorite.

DoughNut

++ New Posts ++