WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

See you at Springer, Winter 09' Chance09's Avatar

Default Week on the LT in April

I want to introduce a friend to backpacking and also do a warm up for the PCT this summer by doing a week on the LT. I was wondering what i can expect as far as weather goes and whether or not you think it's a good idea. Thanks in advance.
    AT - Georgia to Maine '09
    PCT - Mexico to Canada '10
    CDT - Canada to Mexico '11

I have hiked much of the AT/LT in Vermont and I would say that April would be a difficult month to hike the trails in Vermont because of the deep mud and rain, therefore, hiking the LT during the month of April is strongly discouraged.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

One word - MUD! To be hiking much of the LT in Apr means trail destruction.

Registered User lazy river road's Avatar

As double d stated that hikeing the LT in April is strongly discouraged, many parts of the trail are closed espically in the northern section where they get a lot of snow melt.
    Half of the people can be part right all of the time,Some of the people can be all right part of the time. But all the people can't be all right all the time

I hiked from North Adams MA to the top of Killington starting on April 24 last year with my mom. We ran into so much snow going up Glastenbury we decided to blue blaze around Stratton. There was plenty of snow on Peru Peak and even more when going up Killington. We were postholing thigh deep near the tops of the mountains. We ended up taking a blue blaze trail down Killington and going home for a week (we live in the area). The mud wasn't that bad. The trail changed very quick from dry low lands to high and snowy without too much mud in between.

I don't think I'd hike it again in April.
    "I learned long ago that the most important and valuable of acting techniques is the exit...Keep them asking, and exit clean and sharp."
    - Travels with Charley

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Ditto to all... April still has plenty of snow, or in a low-snow year - mud. Many parts of the trail will be closed. Spring maintenance has not started, so the full winter's worth of blow downs, etc. will still be on the trail. We had hurricane force winds in much of VT yesterday (96 mph on top of Mansfield), so there will be much to clean up. Hiking that early will do plenty of trail damage.

Head further south for an April trip.

The Long Trail might not be the best way to introduce a friend to distance hiking at any time of the year. . . especially in April. . . it's a pretty badass trail. . . can't wait to hike it again. . .

My friend Dances with Scarf hiked the AT portion of VT in April - it was the only time she had off from work. Portions of the trail on the high ridges had deep snow. She lost the trail several times because no one had broken trail, the treadway and blazes were not discernible. Then there were the blowdowns on Killington, a stretch where I joined her. The GMC had already made a lot of progress on clearing them but it was slow going.

Try to schedule a different trail. How about hiking the AT through MA and/or CT?

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post

Try to schedule a different trail. How about hiking the AT through MA and/or CT?
    Much better idea for someone new to hiking. . .

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    it's a pretty badass trail. . . can't wait to hike it again, in the rain. . .
    Really ? In the rain ?
    WALK ON

Quote Originally Posted by woodsy View Post
    Really ? In the rain ?
    . . . I was startin to think we'd lost you . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by woodsy View Post
    Really ? In the rain ?
    It's always raining on the Long Trail. . . unless you're down in the valley looking up at the ridgeline. . . then it's sunny at the top. . . the most effective rain dance is hiking toward the top. . .

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    . . . I was startin to think we'd lost you . . . .
    No such luck
    I have to agree, April anywhere in these parts VT, NH, ME can be pretty tough sloggin'
    WALK ON

You are better off staying south that time of year. In addition to the snow and mud, much of the trail is CLOSED by Vermont law from the thaw until Memorial Day Weekend. See thread below where this is already discussed.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57497
    Adventure is the invitation to the common person, to become uncommon. ~ wm
    Bivouac is a French word for "mistake". ~ Ed Viesturs

If you are from Virginia, and want to introduce someone to backpacking, why not try some loop trips in Shenandoah National park

Quote Originally Posted by makoboy View Post
    ....much of the trail is CLOSED by Vermont law from the thaw until Memorial Day Weekend.
    While I respect your enthusiasm, this is false. There is a difference between "Hiking is strongly discouraged" or "trail closed" and "hiking is illegal". Let's hope everyone keeps respecting the trail to avoid the latter.

I ditto Peaks thoughts. SNP is closer, by a whole lot of miles, waterfalls will be running strong, wild flowers will just start popping, and the weather and trail conditions will most likely be more conducive for a newbie. If your friend gets hooked on backpacking at SNP plan a LT trip in late summer or better yet early fall.

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCountryWoods View Post
    While I respect your enthusiasm, this is false. There is a difference between "Hiking is strongly discouraged" or "trail closed" and "hiking is illegal". Let's hope everyone keeps respecting the trail to avoid the latter.
    Are you sure? Isn't Mansfield a state park? So if the state closes it, wouldn't hiking then be illegal?
    Frosty

Images

Default Mud Season?

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50624

The thread includes a link to GMC's website indicating what sections of the Long Trail are closed and alternate hikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Are you sure? Isn't Mansfield a state park? So if the state closes it, wouldn't hiking then be illegal?
    State land is never closed, so hiking on a closed trail is technically not "illegal". Even when a state park is closed, the land is still open.

Now causing damage to state land is against the Visitor Conduct rules & regs of Vermont state parks which states: "A person who violates any rule may be asked to leave the park. A person refusing to leave the park may be arrested and prosecuted under State trespass law."

Please don't take my posts as endorsing mud season hiking. I do not, and am glad people listen to GMC and state recommendations. I was just correcting Makoboys statement.

++ New Posts ++