WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Extending the AT in Alabama

Back in July of 2008 I read a piece in the local paper about Alabama trying to get the A.T. extended from Springer to Weogufka in Al. Then nothing. Is the ATC even working on this or considering it? Excellent article on the shifting origins of the southern terminus.
    Discover Kentucky's Long Tail. Join The Sheltowee Trace Association and help us maintain, grow and preserve this national resource.

Images

I doubt the Southern Terminus will ever leave GA.

Images

No this is not on the ATCs agenda. That was one person speaking for what he thot was the whole. The pinhoti connects to the benton mackaye which runs to springer. That's all it will be.
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Images

It was just wishful thinking.

Images

It's kind of nice having it the way it is. The BMT isn't like the AT, and the Pinhoti isn't like the BMT. It would be a shame if all trails were the AT.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    It's kind of nice having it the way it is. The BMT isn't like the AT, and the Pinhoti isn't like the BMT. It would be a shame if all trails were the AT.
    Agreed... a diverse choice of trails.

Images

True- I agree with Sgt. Rock.
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

I could see there being a trail from Springer to Alabama or even Florida. And I could see a trail going past Baxter into Canada. But the AT has too much history to change the end points. But I could see some folks deciding to start as far south and ending as far North as possible in some sort of AT+. But I don't see them moving the end points.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JustaTouron View Post
    I could see there being a trail from Springer to Alabama or even Florida. And I could see a trail going past Baxter into Canada. But the AT has too much history to change the end points. But I could see some folks deciding to start as far south and ending as far North as possible in some sort of AT+. But I don't see them moving the end points.
    This actually exists. It's called the Eastern Continental Trail. It starts with a road walk from Key West to the Everglades. Then you take the Florida Trail to a road walk in South Alabama. From there to the Pinhoti Trail. The Pinhoti takes you to the Benton Mckaye Trail which takes you to the AT. When you finish the AT you take the International Appalachian trail which takes you to Newfoundland. It's about 5,400 miles in all. 'Lil Buddha is attempting it this year and you can follow him on Trailjournals.

I think the new plan is to incorporate the Pinhoti in the Great Eastern Trail. http://greateasterntrail.net/

Quote Originally Posted by brian039 View Post
    This actually exists. It's called the Eastern Continental Trail. It starts with a road walk from Key West to the Everglades. Then you take the Florida Trail to a road walk in South Alabama. From there to the Pinhoti Trail. The Pinhoti takes you to the Benton Mckaye Trail which takes you to the AT. When you finish the AT you take the International Appalachian trail which takes you to Newfoundland. It's about 5,400 miles in all. 'Lil Buddha is attempting it this year and you can follow him on Trailjournals.
    If your not following 'Lil Buddha' s journal you should be. He has just cleared the big swamp and is heading north. He doesn't know it yet but he has more swamp in Brevard County.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

SUPPORT LNT

It would be nice if each state could create and boast of it's own unique "Long Trail".
    but somehow I can't imagine the beginning of the AT being anywhere but Springer MNT.

Quote Originally Posted by Dovetail View Post
    It would be nice if each state could create and boast of it's own unique "Long Trail".
    but somehow I can't imagine the beginning of the AT being anywhere but Springer MNT.
    Your right! Always will be Springer/Katahdin. I first hiked on the AT in 1960 and it was already an Iconic trail then. It's even more so now.
    SUPPORT LNT

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dovetail View Post
    It used to start at Mt Oglethorpe. Not sure when it was moved.

It was moved in 1958.
    SUPPORT LNT

I hike, therefore I stink.
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JustaTouron View Post

The endpoints have changed at least once. It used to end on Oglethorpe..but there's all houses up there now.
    If you don't have something nice to say,
    Be witty in your cruelty.

Quote Originally Posted by Newb View Post
    The endpoints have changed at least once. It used to end on Oglethorpe..but there's all houses up there now.
    I knew Bert Garner who helped build that section of the trail. I remember him lamenting about the shortning of the trail back in the 50's. Bert lived near Maryville Tn about 2 miles from where I lived. But even though it has been moved I don't believe the AT Conservancy will allow any changes again with the Trail Heads of the AT. Of course never is a long time. 100 years from now all bets are off.
    SUPPORT LNT

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Too much industry developed around Oglethorpe.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Newb View Post
    Sounds like someone else has driven to the end of Monument Road too. This is probably more than anyone wants to know, but I have never let that stop me before.

Mt. Oglethorpe and the portion of trail between there and Amicalola was not on protected land, like National Forest or the State Park. Development like logging and, especially, chicken farms encroached on the Trail corridor. Walking through a chicken farm was not a glorious start to a great adventure. It was decided to move the terminus to a more protected site.

By sorta reading between the lines of the GATC's history book I believe that Amicalola was considered as a terminus location but in those days it was felt that the State of Georgia might not be a reliable partner in protecting the Trail corridor, though the GATC historians were too polite to say so directly. If so it was a good call since the State later built a lake, now drained, over the Trail. And later the State would support extending the Blue Ridge Parkway right over the Trail.

Springer was chosen mostly because it was on protected National Forest land and partly because it is the intersection of two major ridges of the Appalachians, the Blue Ridge and the Duncan Ridge. That would become important later in the '70's during the Blue Ridge Parkway extension scare when an alternate AT was laid out by GATC member George Owen. That footpath still exists and is now part of the Duncan Ridge and Benton MacKaye trails. Mr. Owen, btw, is still very active in both the GATC and the BMTA.

So. What was the question again?
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++