WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    The people with the biggest beef against DIY stoves are outfitters.
    Also, maybe people that like to shop and spend money, and like company.
    Yes. And, you know, the people who have tried them and not particularly liked them, like those on this thread. As an aside, when we sit around at the Outfitter complaining about alcohol stoves, we make sure we don't have ours with us when we do it. Because that would make us look silly. We also hide the containers of denatured alcohol and HEET.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Geez, if we aren't willing to explore and discover a little while out hiking in the woods, what are we there for?
    We are there to have sex in public without getting arrested.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Quote Originally Posted by sarbar View Post
    I think what the OP is missing is this:

Having one stove is like having only one pair of hiking socks. . .
    . . . in that, if it's an esbit stove, everyone will think you're stinky.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000 View Post
    . . . in that, if it's an esbit stove, everyone will think you're stinky.
    I remember hiking behind a pair of women thinking: these girls need to get into Damascus and BATHE.

Then we all stopped at a shelter and they started cooking. Thats when I realized the stink was their fuel.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

. . . . . . . . . .
    Last edited by Two Speed; 01-26-2010 at 16:53. Reason: This one's moving too fast for me.
    Me no care, me here free beer. Tap keg, please?

OK, Sarbar and Dixie are excused,

and maybe ShelterLeopard, if she can cook,

but none of the rest of you.

I picked up a Trail Design Caldera cone for my MSR titan Pot and it works great. It came with a plastic container that keeps it nice and safe (the cone itself is fairly fragile). The container also holds 6 oz alcohol/mini-bic/snowpeak spoon/MSR titan cup and a small section of a sham-wow towel. All very compact and secure. This container fits nicely into the Titan pot which is nested into an AGG pot cozy and all above into a small stuff sack.

What's so neat about the caldera setup is the efficiency realized from the windscreen paired up with the soda-can stove. Check out the Trail design website for more information and also the Anti-gravity gear website for caldera packages.

http://www.traildesigns.com/caldera-cone.html

http://www.antigravitygear.com/prodd...TDCCALD&cat=40

not inexpensive but the best alcohol design out there

Hell why not just carry a Colman stove....and a cast iron skillet just strap it to your pack with some bungee cords. cooking and simmering with a alcohol stove takes a bit of common sense and some practice at home. Once mastered you'll never go back.
    "When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."

Quote Originally Posted by ShelterLeopard View Post
    Ha! To heck with this all, I'll just carry my generator and an oven!
    That's my wife's idea of camping - generator & microwave oven.

Actually she would do fine without the microwave, but the flush toilet and not sleeping on the ground are non-negotiable requirements.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Wolf View Post
    Hell why not just carry a Colman stove....and a cast iron skillet just strap it to your pack with some bungee cords. cooking and simmering with a alcohol stove takes a bit of common sense and some practice at home. Once mastered you'll never go back.
    Well actually, why not? if someone wants to carry a coleman stove and a cast iron skillet, more power to them.

As for the last sentence, it's factually incorrect. It would be accurate with the right pronoun and tense, as here:

"Once mastered, I never went back."

Plenty of people switch back and forth. I do. All it takes is a little common sense to figure out which stove will work best given the circumstances of a trip.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    .......well for one you can't fry steaks.
    Sure you can.

A campfire works better though.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images

Alcohol stoves are only popular with the cool crowd. Like homemade gear. You're not a "real" hiker unless you use a stove made from a cat food can.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Someday I will post a photo or two of my gear room/office

I have issues with gear - like I should have it all. Mine! Mine! Mine!

I always wonder how people can be happy with one setup How boring! Hehheh....
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

You made that common sense hiker savvy post over 20 posts ago Mags, but some just can't help themselves by not debating, complaining, or attempting to pursue that overused notion of BEST gear. BEST tent. BEST sleeping bag. BEST shelter. BEST sleeping bag fill. BEST stove. Give it a rest! Different gear for different purposes, people, trails, hiking styles, seasons, ETC ETC ETC! It begins sounding like a political or religious debate. Assess the pros and cons, whatever they may mean to each individual, when opting for any piece of gear, and come to your own conclusions because that's who is probably in the BEST position to make those decisions.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    Alcohol stoves are only popular with the cool crowd. Like homemade gear. You're not a "real" hiker unless you use a stove made from a cat food can.
    Uhh. Minnesota Smith used an alcohol stove. Made from a cat food can.

Next.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    I say use whatever you're comfortable with...... Heck, carry an acetylene torch if that floats yer boat.
    I actually saw some guys with an acetylene torch at a camp site in the ADK's (an easy one to get to). They were trying to set fire to a giant, wet tree stump with it. (even had welding glasses on!). I took one look, said good luck and moved on...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I must add, I love my Trangia.. You do not waste a drop..While I wait for it to boil (5-7 MIN) I set up camp.. Kill 2 birds with one stone..And since I basically boil water, works fine for me..

On the other hand I must say, I do also love my Whisperlite, (even though it dosnt whisper) But hey, I get the best of both worlds.. Canaster stoves, well, thats another story.. I have been working at losing my pack weight, why turn around and weigh it down again..

JMO...

graywolf
    "So what if theres a mountain, get over it!!!" - Graywolf, 2010

I posted that for the people out there who do the AT as basically their first Backpacking trip of any kind. They exist. Telling them to own six stoves isn't helpful. Telling them they are stupid if they can't use a denatured alcohol stove isn't helpful. Try to remember this is a source of knowledge for the initiated as well as for a public forum for experienced hikers to bicker. Canister stoves and and white gas stoves are easy. Someone trying to deal with all of the issues involved in adapting to a thru-hike doesn't need an extra headache. Canister stoves work too, but I prefer the white gas stove. I just thought the many voices in support of denatured alcohol could use some balancing out.

There three things that should never be discussed in public. Religion, politics and ul stoves.....;}
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
    I posted that for the people out there who do the AT as basically their first Backpacking trip of any kind. They exist. Telling them to own six stoves isn't helpful. Telling them they are stupid if they can't use a denatured alcohol stove isn't helpful. Try to remember this is a source of knowledge for the initiated as well as for a public forum for experienced hikers to bicker. Canister stoves and and white gas stoves are easy. Someone trying to deal with all of the issues involved in adapting to a thru-hike doesn't need an extra headache. Canister stoves work too, but I prefer the white gas stove. I just thought the many voices in support of denatured alcohol could use some balancing out.
    I agree with you. White gas and canister stoves are easy. Same for Alcohol, esbit, and wood stoves. I own and have used them all at various times.

I think they're easy. You think they're easy.

That being said, you know what this site could use? A couple articles on white gas stoves, like, "How to light a white gas stove: and "How to clean a white gas stove" 'cause every year and I mean every year, I end up showing someone how to light their stove or taking somebody's stove apart on the trail to get it working or just plain cooking their food for them cause their stove was toasted or 'cause their canister is empty and they don't know how that could've happened 'cause the guy at the store told them it would cook 12 meals no problem.

On the other hand, I have yet to meet anyone on the trail that can't set fire to denatured alcohol by themselves. A few set fire to themselves but that's a different discussion.
    Skids

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I actually saw some guys with an acetylene torch at a camp site in the ADK's (an easy one to get to). They were trying to set fire to a giant, wet tree stump with it. (even had welding glasses on!). I took one look, said good luck and moved on...
    I spent the night with another group that carried one, at Woods Hole Shelter. Same deal, it was carried to start fires. Who knew those guys got around so much with that load!

They'd also clogged their water filter by dipping the intake tube into some sediment, and asked if I knew how to repair it. Even brought out a took kit for me...full sized lineman's pliers, a set of screwdrivers, vice grips...lots of other stuff! Plus the big nine-volt battery lantern that wasn't all that much brighter than my little antique brass candle lantern. Proud of the fact that their packs weighted 90 pounds. I tried lifting it; even with a lot of the junk out of it, I could barely budge it. Bet they were right about the weight.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++