WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Need GPS recommendation

I'm doing some planning, and for the CDT, I've decided I want a GPS (short story = Evolution Basin, snowfield, whiteout, frozen lakes and ice bridges).

Having never owned or used one, I'm a bit lost (groan) when it comes to evaluating features (this is after spending time on various review sites).

Basically, I'd like these features:

1) Color screen where I can load and view 24K topo maps. Ideally, I'd be able to preload the majority of the trail onto a memory card.
    2) Load trail breadcrumbs (a la Sly's sticky forum post)
    3) The usual infinite battery life, zero weight, and cheap cost

As a starting point, I'm looking at the Garmin Dakota 20. Other than a smaller screen (it's 40% of the size of the Oregon/Colorado series), it seems the same as all the others.

Anyone have any evaluation tips? Is this screen big enough? I can head to the local REI to lay hands on a model once I learn a bit more.

Thanks-FF

Default It is a personal choice

Quote Originally Posted by frisbeefreek View Post
    I'm doing some planning, and for the CDT, I've decided I want a GPS (short story = Evolution Basin, snowfield, whiteout, frozen lakes and ice bridges).

Having never owned or used one, I'm a bit lost (groan) when it comes to evaluating features (this is after spending time on various review sites).

Basically, I'd like these features:

1) Color screen where I can load and view 24K topo maps. Ideally, I'd be able to preload the majority of the trail onto a memory card.
    2) Load trail breadcrumbs (a la Sly's sticky forum post)
    3) The usual infinite battery life, zero weight, and cheap cost

As a starting point, I'm looking at the Garmin Dakota 20. Other than a smaller screen (it's 40% of the size of the Oregon/Colorado series), it seems the same as all the others.

Anyone have any evaluation tips? Is this screen big enough? I can head to the local REI to lay hands on a model once I learn a bit more.

Thanks-FF
    I have a drawer full. They all do basically the same things.

My personal favorite is the Delorme Earthmate, because it is easier to create and upload your own maps. My next purchase will be the Earthmate/Spot unit that is supposed to be availavble soon:

http://www.delorme.com/about/pressre...mmunicator.htm
    Shutterbug

Images

With somewhat limited use on the KEK and Border Routes through the Boundary Waters, typically considered difficult to follow trails, I was very happy with my Garmin Etrex Legend HCx. Use lithium batteries.

Probably a better way for me to phrase my question is: are there specific features I should be looking for? I notice most have different levels of built-in memory.

Shutterbug hit the nail on the head when he said the Delorme is easier to create/upload maps. That's exactly the type of info I'm looking for.

Journal Entries
    Images

It looks pretty good, Shutterbug.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Hi,
    I live near the CDNRT in Montana and navigate that type terrain regularly. My Garmin eTrex Vista HCx works great.
    Regards,

Ramblin Ron
    http://www.backpackingoutfitter.com
    Information and gear about backpacking, hiking and camping.

Had a legend, and man older ones.
    Now, I have the 60CSX and think it is great. (Garmin)
    The X is important.
    I also had a 60CS and there is a BIG difference.
    For one, speed of picking up satellites. For another thing, no removable mini sd card.
    With the sd card, you can put more maps.
    My friend has the DeLorme and I think they are about the same (from what i can see)
    They are not as small as the Legend/Vista but the screen is much more readable. (important to MY eyes)
    Waterproof, fairly lightweight (for it's size) and tree cover doesn't bother it.
    Good luck in your choice.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

I know this isn't very helpful, but I recently found out there are many add-on maps, including private and public land. I know I want that information.

I don't know if this is only for Garmin brand, or others.

I started hunting down the information: the first one I saw was for keeping track of hunting dogs. But the big laptop cord got smashed in the car door, and so, I have had to order a replacement cord.

I am not getting online enough to research this, right now.

But I thought I would mention it. I know this will be a factor in my next GPS. I want add-ons.

+1 for display. Look thru the display menu.

Is the display menu intuitive, or at least, logical.

I saw a Garmin "Colorado" model that had a great display. The owner uses it for "geocaching" which is something else you might consider.

Journal Entries
    Images

I have an Magellan eXplorist XL. I really like it for short hikes and GeoCaching. But for a Thru Hike? No, its too heavy. I am looking at GPS Units with the following goals in mind:
    1) Must be effective in locking on sats
    2) Must give me my location so I can transfer the data to a map and then go from there.
    3) No reqs for color screen, etc., since I won't be using it to navigate as in carrying it, looking at it constantly etc.
    Anyone with a recomend?
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)

Journal Entries
    Images

Shutterbug: is that thing two different units that work together? I was looking at it again and it looks like it is two different dealies.

Journal Entries
    Images

Purchased another GPS Unit today. It is a Magellan Triton 400 with what they call the "adventure pack". Man, this is a nice unit. It is perfect for hiking-small pocket size and light. Runs on only two AA batts. Color display and you can store photos in it also. Does all typical Magellan GPS stuff which is all one needs. The Adventure Pack includes the Nat'l Geographic Topo maps. I loaded in the maps I'll need for a section hike on CDT. I'll be using Wolf books, J Ley maps and GPS. I was not going to take gps, but in the running up to my date I just kept looking at everything. This unit sure is lighter then my monstor Magellan Explorist XL. I like both of them. This will be interesting.

Images

How is the battery life? I hear from a friend with a Magellan that when mapping a trail it can go through a couple of sets of batteries in a day. I think his model is a different one though.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

they all perform the same function. we have a garmin etrex, first edition, right when personal GPSs came out. we also have a fancy magellan that has all the bells and whistles. we actually like the etrex better - just used it this weekend actually during our jaunt in the Oauchitas. its all just coordinates from a satellite. personnally, dont waste your money. just buy a cheap $100 one.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Journal Entries
    Images

Mags: the instructions say two AA batts last up to 10 hrs.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chaplain View Post
    Mags: the instructions say two AA batts last up to 10 hrs.

????? Haven't even posted in this thread.

EDIT: Ah..you mean the Magellan...back to my coffee...
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post
    they all perform the same function. we have a garmin etrex, first edition, right when personal GPSs came out. we also have a fancy magellan that has all the bells and whistles. we actually like the etrex better - just used it this weekend actually during our jaunt in the Oauchitas. its all just coordinates from a satellite. personnally, dont waste your money. just buy a cheap $100 one.
    I have an Etrex Legend and Legend C. My only problem with the Legend is something inside is loose and I have to tap it to get the screen back or to clear the lines from the screen. Otherwise, it's been great. I prefer it instead of the C, but that may only be I'm used to the Legend.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Another vote for the Garmin CSX. Rock solid, great battery life as long as you aren't hammering the back-light constantly.

Journal Entries
    Images

I bought a detailed map of Rocky Mtn Region from Magellan. Boy they sure have a lot to offer. One could load maps forever if you wanted too. Anyway, I downloaded this map and then transferred it to my Triton 400. Went great and the whole thing was impressive. The screen is great vibrant color. Batts (1 AA) last 10 hrs. but of course I don't plan on hiking with it constantly on.

Journal Entries
    Images

Garmin 450 allows imports of images
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I'm planning on the CDT for next year; my GPS for the PCT was the one built into my smartphone, and I "used" the same thing on the AT this year (not too much needed on either trail).

For the CDT, I'm thinking of a relatively expensive and new option, the Delorme Earthmate PN-60W Portable GPS Navigator with SPOT Satellite Communicator. A fairly expensive approach as the combined units are about $550, plus $100 annual SPOT fee, plus I'd likely spend another $50 for 500 text messages, but I reckon that cell service will be very very limited on the trail, so the ability to at least send (but not receive) 40 character messages in addition to just the normal "I'm okay, at this location" messages that the normal SPOT devices send --- that might be worth the money for my trail partner and I.

These devices are clearly evolving, and I hate to buy something on perhaps the steep part of the evolution curve, but you need to get the gear that makes sense for you when you actually need it ... i.e., it's not like, say, an HD TV where a person can opt to just wait a couple of years for the price/functionality ratio to get significantly lower!
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++