WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Harpers Ferry Approaching Flood Stage . . .

As alluded to in a thread by Laurie, the Potomac River is approaching flood stage. It's currently measuring at 17.54 feet; flood stage is 18. Point of Rocks, downriver from Harpers Ferry, is already measuring at 19.06 feet, and is currently predicted to crest at 21.5 feet, although I have heard the possibility of as much as 23.5 feet.

What this means to hikers who may be in the area:

1) As noted by Laurie in the other thread:

"The Goodloe Byron Memorial Footbridge over the Potomac River will be closed by Harpers Ferry National Historical Park until further notice, due to high water. This footbridge connects the Appalachian Trail in Harpers Ferry, West Virginia with the C&O Towpath in Maryland. We expect the closure to last only a day or so.

If you will be hiking in this area, call ATC for alternate arrangements (304) 535-6331."

So the bridge across the Potomac is currently closed. The bridges that connect WV, VA, & Maryland (Rt. 340) are open, but the bridge from VA to MD is a treacherous walk, in my opinion.

2) At 16 feet, the Potomac spills the bank on the Maryland side here, and overflow goes onto the C&O Canal towpath (which the AT travels NOBO from Harpers Ferry). Because the section of trail here is downriver from HF, and therefore downriver from the confluence of the two rivers, you should expect to get your feet wet if you're on this section of trail.

The expectation is that the bridge closure will last a short time. We are expecting precip (it's snow showering right now), but this is not supposed to be rain. Hopefully.

But I've got to say it makes me nervous when I see Park Personnel standing around park building basements. Makes me wonder if they know something I don't . . .
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Would be cool if someone could post a pic.

River gage at Harpers Ferry - note on the bottom what floods at what stage.

Odd that they don't forecast stages at HF. They do at Point of Rocks.

I'm concerned about the C&O Canal towpath, not just around HF where it coincides with the AT but those segments throughout its length where it's close to the Potomac.

Images

When did the Potomac last get this high?

Is that when the C & O towpath got those detours?

I'll post some pictures from today when I get home from work. No photos of the towpath, though, because I can't get over there.

I think they only issues forecasts from gauges that are routine year-round ones (regardless of flood possibilities). Point of Rocks is one of these gauges. The one upriver from here is Hancock. That gauge is measuring 20.49 feet now, and they're predicting that it's crested at that point.

18.4 at Williamsport (the nearest gauge upriver from here), and now 19.89 at Point of Rocks . . .

I'll have some pics on in 2 hours or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post

This isn't that high. There won't be any major flooding here. They close the bridge any time we're expected to go above flood stage because it's an old bridge.

Last big flood here would have been in '96 -- twice that year the river went above 29 feet. When that happens the lower town is under water. No worries about that this time, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post

There's only one real detour - west of Shepherdstown, east of Williamsport, around mile 90. It dates back decades; in fact, it may predate the Canal's establishment as a National Park. But I learned on my bike ride last Fall that finally, the Park is getting some $$$$ to reconstruct the towpath.

Images

i mean, if you're a real thru hiker, you should be fording the potomac anyways.

all this bridge closure info is useless.
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

Quote Originally Posted by the goat View Post

There has been much spirited debate on whiteblaze as to whether fording/swimming the Potomac is somehow better than taking the actual official route, or makes one "more of a thru-hiker."

Is it perceived by ATC as "dangerous," and a liability lawsuit in the making, and that's why they insist that the official route is the bridge? We do seem to have an awful ot of S&R helicopters flying through here. On the other hand, it's hard to argue that those who ford the Potomac aren't more manly and strapping than those who take the bridge.

With that I'll move on, lest this thread get moved to the humor forum, where all of my threads seem to end up . . .

Quote Originally Posted by the goat View Post

Roe vs Wade --- options give to General Washington by his staff for crossing the Potomac.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaTouron View Post
    Roe vs Wade --- options give to General Washington by his staff for crossing the Potomac.
    Hahahaha! Wait.

No no no! I'm trying to keep this out of the humor forum! What are you doing?!? You're killing me here.

And anyway, I thought that was the Delaware . . .

Looks like things are topping out upriver. Water level entered moderate flooding stage at Point of Rocks -- 20.21, and is supposed to crest tonight. The bridge shouldn't stay closed for too long, but the towpath will probably be a bit of a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000 View Post

And anyway, I thought that was the Delaware . . .
    My mistake. You are right it was the delaware. It has been a long time since 10th grade US history.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaTouron View Post
    My mistake. You are right it was the delaware. It has been a long time since 10th grade US history.
    Haha! Yes it has been. The Potomac is the river he supposedly threw money across. That's a myth, but he was the one who chose Harpers Ferry as an Armory site. It may have had something to do with the fact that his family owned so much land hereabouts (venality and nepotism aren't exactly new to the political scene).

Some promised photos:

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000 View Post
    .... It may have had something to do with the fact that his family owned so much land hereabouts (venality and nepotism aren't exactly new to the political scene).
    As a history butt - I mean buff, sorry - you undoubtedly know, Jester, that neighboring Charles Town is the county seat where John Brown was hung and that the "Charles" for whom the town was named was not the late erstwhile King of England but Charles Washington, GW's brother.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks for the pics. Doesn't look too bad, which is good.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

We got caught by flooded towpath a couple of months ago on the C&O near McMahon's Mill. We were able to wade through the water, but it was a bit scary since we didn't know how bad the flooding would be ahead. This was just past the section of canal that has been closed completely for the past few years. We tried to walk past the closure, but it was so overgrown we turned around. No point in wading through poison ivy for no reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    As a history butt - I mean buff, sorry - you undoubtedly know, Jester, that neighboring Charles Town is the county seat where John Brown was hung and that the "Charles" for whom the town was named was not the late erstwhile King of England but Charles Washington, GW's brother.
    Yup. Been to the place where the hanging was. It's on private property now; there's a sign on the sidewalk nearby. All of the gov't buildings (including the jail where John Brown was housed) are on land that was donated by Charles.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++