WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 23 days?

Images

Default 23 days?

So my fiancee and I are going to do an End-to-End this summer. The original plan was to take four weeks off and do it but my job outlook for the summer looks pretty intense so I'm going to try and fit it into three weeks instead. The plan would be to start on friday afternoon after work, (we only live about an hour from the Pine Cobble trail) and hike into Seth Warner for the night. From there we would have 23 days to get to Canada. We are both in good to very good physical shape, have no problems hiking long days, and just love to be out there. I'm looking for experiences from other people that have completed the trail in this amount of time and what they thought of it. Will it be too much of a rush or will we still be able to relax and enjoy the trail. I think it will be fine, but I just like to here different stories I guess.

Thanks in advance

12 miles per day. no days off

Images

No problem. This is plenty of time. At least for my style. I did it in 17-18 days and it was fine. Pack light (resupply often and quickly). Take a nero or two instead of a full zero. There is water everywhere.

Anyway, the mosquitoes might keep you on schedule, depending what time of summer.

Have fun
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Images

I should mention it will be NOBO starting on either August 13th or August 27th, haven't made the final decision between those two yet.

It's easy to do as the southern 140 miles are pretty easy. You start getting into a little more redundant up and down terrain after you pass Brandon Gap. Your timeframe is a good time frame HOWEVER - be aware that you may possibly run into college orientation groups rather frequently around that timeframe.

You can also check out www.longtrailhiking.info for end to end information in the form of a free guidebook.

Start the 27th. It won't be "cold" just a bit chilly...which helps with the quick days up North. Believe it or not I walked into Johnson on a 105 degree day this August. If you can average 13 to 15 up to Brandon gap it'll give you some wiggle room. Just try to avoid the long hitches and go in/out of town quickly. Middlebury is a long hitch but they might be running the college buses by the time you get up there.

Plus, the later you go the sooner the college kids will be back at school. Don't worry about them...there're a lot of camping opportunities in the Southern stretch so you can avoid them.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Shouldn't be a problem to finish within 23 days. My 16-year old newbie brother and I did it SOBO in August '79 with too-heavy packs in 27 elapsed days, including 2 zeros and 2 other days of less than 5 miles. It rained at least an hour on 20 of those days, and the temperature dropped from over 100 degrees atop Little Jay to below freezing atop Camels Hump 9 days later. I still have fond memories of the northern half. Enjoy!
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

23 days is very doable. I did it in 18 days many moons ago with a heavy pack, no long distance hiking experience, and being in worse shape than I am in now.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

23 days is fine. Just be aware that when thinking about your daily mileage "average", you may start out a little under it, and you may finish that way, too. Reserve sufficient time for the northern third of your trip, parts of which are quite strenuous.

I hiked it about this time frame. It's plenty of time -- you'll do fine. Enjoy!
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Although I took longer in '07, that was by choice. I'm sure you'll do fine. Echoing Jack's advice, I'd allow extra time in the north, particularly for the stretch from Appalachian Gap (Rt. 17) to Smugglers Notch. In addition to slow going up and down the Camels Hump and Mansfield massifs, you'll want to enjoy the views of Lake Champlain and the Adirondacks which actually start at Mt. Abraham on the Lincoln Ridge. If your timing works out, spend a night at Butler Lodge which is cut into the westward-facing slope of Mansfield and affords gorgeous views of Champlain and hope for a great sunset.

While Killington is the 2nd highest peak in VT, the AT/LT hiking up the Killington massif is relatively easy.

One tidbit about the north: Haystack Mountain has more false summits than any mountain I can think of north of Cheoah Bald in NC! Tidbit #2 - enjoy Devil's Gulch - it's the VT LT version of Mahoosuc Notch.

Images

Yeah I'm not real worried about the whole thing, we have enough miles under our belts now to know what we can handle. I was just looking for different feedback from people on their experiences and what not. I appreciate everyone posting up that has so far. We are really looking forward to the time out on the trail. We have been wanting to do this hike for awhile now and things are finally lining up for it to happen.

Images

Just got the approval from work for the time off so I'm all set, just waiting to here from the little ladies employer, but it shouldn't be an issue. We are starting on August 13th so that we actually get an extra day to hike because of ending on Labor Day, which we both have off from work. So that makes it 24 days instead. Well actually 24.5 since we will be starting in the afternoon of the 13th. Can't wait to get out there, though it's 6 months away lol...

I just worked out my tentative stops and it came out to 24 days, maybe one or two less. I don't want to rush it (did plenty of that my first time through in sections).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Default No worries

My first LT thru was 26 days (4 zeros) and it was fairly relaxed, we often got to shelters around 2:30-3:00pm, this was also my first long-distance hike. So 23-24 days is a nice hike, not rushed at all from my experience.

Remember, like others have said, the Long Trail from Killington to Canada is far more difficult than the southern 100 miles, and certainly more difficult than anything along the AT south of NH in my opinon.

Going nobo, many hikers find it's like hitting a wall, and it takes a few days to adjust to the new terrain. It's not just the up and downs, but mud, rocks, roots and seemingly always wet trail. By going south, you would feel much stronger when you got to the AT, most nobo's never find their stride, as the trail gets harder as you move north, although the last 50 miles or so are easier than the middle section.

In the middle of the trail I would recommend going into Waitsfield or Bristol to resupply, thus eliminating the heavy carry from Route 4 to Jonesville, a rough 80 or so miles. This is in addition to resupplying at the standard places:
    - Manchester Center
    - Rutland or a drop at the Inn @LT
    - Jonesville PO or Richmond
    - Johnson

It's an amazing hike, have fun!

Images

Thanks for more input guys, we are psyched to head out there. My fiancee got her approval so we are all set. We have been doing a lot of dayhiking/peakbagging and have been out for a few nights. We have a busy summer until the hike so it should fly by, hopefully. we have been going back and forth about the heavy carry from Rt.4 to Jonesville and I have been really thinking that it would probably be easier to just stop in Waitsfield, I just don't know how easy it is to get a hitch into town. It's a long road walk. Do most people stay at the Hyde away inn around that area? Does anyone offer a shuttle in Waitsfield?

Just Hikin' Along
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon View Post
    I just don't know how easy it is to get a hitch into town. It's a long road walk. Do most people stay at the Hyde away inn around that area? Does anyone offer a shuttle in Waitsfield?
    It's an easy hitch into Waitsfield from the trail head at Appalachian Gap. The Hyde Away Inn is the area's usual stop for LT hikers, accepts resupply packages, and is relatively inexpensive for the area. I splurged and stayed at the Millbrook Inn on the western edge of Waitsfield and was joined by Windtalker and Mom at that location. Be aware that the Hyde Away is on the western outskirts of Waitsfield and it's a long walk into town.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Quoddy View Post
    It's an easy hitch into Waitsfield from the trail head at Appalachian Gap. The Hyde Away Inn is the area's usual stop for LT hikers, accepts resupply packages, and is relatively inexpensive for the area. I splurged and stayed at the Millbrook Inn on the western edge of Waitsfield and was joined by Windtalker and Mom at that location. Be aware that the Hyde Away is on the western outskirts of Waitsfield and it's a long walk into town.
    Thanks for the info buddy! See you soon hopefully

I agree on resuppling in Waitsfield. I hit Rutland, Waitsfield, and Johnson on my hike last fall and found that worked great for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++