WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Atlanta to springer: lodging/transport question

So, my original plan was to take care of some business in Atlanta tomorrow morning and then have the hiker hostel folks shuttle and house me for then night. Unfortunately, my genius friend booked a flight that gets in at 9:30 at night, which I'm guessing is way too late to ask for the services of the hostel. I put in a call to the hiker hostel to ask for suggestions, and am waiting on a response.

In the meantime, anyone have any clever ideas on how to go from the airport at 9:30 PM on Thursday to Amicalola on Friday morning. Could we simply take a cab from the Marta station, set up camp near the beginning of the approach trail, and go from there? Any other clever ideas? Anyone know a night-owl shuttler?

Thanks.

You could do a regular hostel in Atlanta for the night and then head to the trail the next morning.

See:
    http://www.atlantahostel.com/

http://www.ashbyhouse.net/

http://www.hostels.com/atlanta/usa?s...FWEO5QodYney3Q
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JustaTouron View Post
    You could do a regular hostel in Atlanta for the night and then head to the trail the next morning.

See:
    http://www.atlantahostel.com/

http://www.ashbyhouse.net/
    These places are located in a shady part of town. You could stay there but I wouldn't go out after dark. I've been by them many times and a lot of creepy characters in the area.

Springer to Atkins, VA

Might consider calling Josh and Leigh at the Hiker Hostel in Dalonega (sp) www.hikerhostel.com. They can pick you up at the airport and shuttle you back to the hostel for the night, then off to Springer. Check'em out.

That's correct, if you stay the evening in Atlanta, the folks at the hiker hostel will pick you up in Atlanta (MARTA station, not airport) and shuttle you to either Amicalola or USFS 42 in the morning, you'll be on the trail by 10am most likely.

Nevermind, I'm giving up on getting to springer Friday am. My buddy needs to supply after he gets here so it looks like a late start. Thanks for the suggestion touron; we'll be at the Atlanta hostel tomorrow night.

Quote Originally Posted by Phreak View Post
    These places are located in a shady part of town. You could stay there but I wouldn't go out after dark. I've been by them many times and a lot of creepy characters in the area.
    Ive walked around downtown atlanta at all hours of the night. Carry a little knife if you are really scared but most of the shady characters know not to mess with you. Just don't be a dumb ass and make yourself look like you got something to steal and youre fine.

Images

Best thing to say to a crackhead who aproaches you on ponce, "Hey, you got a dollar I could have? I'm trying to get a rock." If you get it out before they ask you, it confuses the hell out of them.

Images

Oh, and avoid the ladyboy hookers at the corner of boulevard. They're mean.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mister krabs View Post
    Best thing to say to a crackhead who aproaches you on ponce, "Hey, you got a dollar I could have? I'm trying to get a rock." If you get it out before they ask you, it confuses the hell out of them.
    Been forced to use that schtick once or twice.
    Me no care, me here free beer. Tap keg, please?

++ New Posts ++