WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

and what if you don't have a vacumn sealer, huh? what then?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    and what if you don't have a vacumn sealer, huh? what then?
    Ask a friend with a vacuum sealer, silly.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Default Yepper!

I use a high quality 1 liter wine bota for water when winter camping or backcountry skiing. I keep it under my GTX parka to keep its contents in the liquid state.

I removed the leather shoulder strap and replaced it with 1/2 inch wide webbing and a quick release buckle so I could take it off to refill I put it back on W/O removing my parka. (Takes technique.) For drinking I just open my parka a bit, swing it up to my mouth and squeeze. I store it in a dry sack and put it in the foot of my sleeping bag when winter camping.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by 300winmag View Post
    I use a high quality 1 liter wine bota for water when winter camping or backcountry skiing. I keep it under my GTX parka to keep its contents in the liquid state.

I removed the leather shoulder strap and replaced it with 1/2 inch wide webbing and a quick release buckle so I could take it off to refill I put it back on W/O removing my parka. (Takes technique.) For drinking I just open my parka a bit, swing it up to my mouth and squeeze. I store it in a dry sack and put it in the foot of my sleeping bag when winter camping.

Eric
    I did the same thing as an arctic infantryman in Alaska. We were only issued one "arctic" (read guaranteed to freeze) canteen, so I had to improvise. The most common injury was from overheating IE, dehydration combined with carrying a rucksack on snowshoes wearing too many clothes. I always stayed hydrated and never had a problem.

Images

may have to give this a try sounds like a good idea

I tried a wine bag once. I couldn't get the wine smell out of it.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Drink faster.

I've used a wine bag inside one of those giveaway reusable shopping bags. Cut a hole for the spout to stick out and hang it from a tree. Works great to carry water from the source to camp.

I use on of those Hefty freezer bags with the stronger zipper-type closing feature.
    But that's just for transporting water back to camp.

Default Another water bag option

Hey SGT Rock...I got ahold of a couple of Dunk'in Donuts Coffee bags...comes in a cardboard carrying box...they don't have a spigot/spout...have a regular twist-off cap...approx 2" wide. Mylar outside and food grade clear plastic inside...kinda two bags in one. After cleaning with baking soda and drying...have little to no coffee taste at all. If I recall...about 3L's each and weight nut'in.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey's Fist View Post
    Hey SGT Rock...I got ahold of a couple of Dunk'in Donuts Coffee bags...comes in a cardboard carrying box...they don't have a spigot/spout...have a regular twist-off cap...approx 2" wide. Mylar outside and food grade clear plastic inside...kinda two bags in one. After cleaning with baking soda and drying...have little to no coffee taste at all. If I recall...about 3L's each and weight nut'in.
    I've not heard of these. We don't have a Dunkin' Donuts around here.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

Interesting. Out of curiosity, is the coffee hot when you buy the bag fron DD?

In other words, is the liner in the bag rated for hot liquids?
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.

Images

I went to their website to see if they have something about it. I didn't find anything, but I also didn't look that long, they have an annoying website.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Default Dunk'in Donuts Coffee Bag/Bladder

Yep...the coffee was pipping hot...and stays hot for a long time...due to the double-walled bag. The inner...as seen from the opening...appears to be clear/food grade plastic...the outter is shinny-metallic...little tougher than foil...kinda mylar type. You buy the contraption and they fill it with coffee right there...screw on the top and away you go! The bag comes already inside a cardboard carrying box with a handle. I thought it looked kinda cool...stripped off the box...removed two sections of a clear sticky glue from the outside of the bad that's used to secure it to the cardboard box...ran several runs of baking soda and hot water throught it...ready to go!
    If no Dunk'in Donuts near you...try Krispy Kreme...don't know if Starbucks has anything like it or not...best of luck!!!

Images

Yep...the coffee was pipping hot...and stays hot for a long time...due to the double-walled bag. The inner...as seen from the opening...appears to be clear/food grade plastic...the outter is shinny-metallic...little tougher than foil...kinda mylar type. You buy the contraption and they fill it with coffee right there...screw on the top and away you go! The bag comes already inside a cardboard carrying box with a handle. I thought it looked kinda cool...stripped off the box...removed two sections of a clear sticky glue from the outside of the bad that's used to secure it to the cardboard box...ran several runs of baking soda and hot water throught it...ready to go!
    If no Dunk'in Donuts near you...try Krispy Kreme...don't know if Starbucks has anything like it or not...best of luck!!!
    Thanks, I'm gonna check that out.
    Skids

Default Coffee Bladder

Just Googled "Box Coffee" and such...looks like Starbucks has a box of coffee too...the "Travel Box"...Dunk'in Donuts' one is called "Joe-to-Go" I think. Both are @ 100 oz/3L capacity....weigh around 2.5-3 oz.

A friend of mine uses the square bottom ziplocs for camp water. The square bottom won't tip over as easily. Not as large as a wine or coffee bladder.

By the way, this thread is awesome. When the oil crash happens or the shtf or whatever, ultralight hikers will be out there improvising and building a new world made of trash.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Dances with Mice View Post
    Been using them for years. Get a mesh bag, a lingerie bag if nothing else, put the wine bag in then cut and sew the mesh to fit. Don't have to be neat. Cut a hole for the nozzle and put a bit of string around the opening to tie shut. Add another loop of string to the top side. Now when you get to camp you can fill the wine bag, hang it from a tree branch and have running water on tap.

One Gatorade bottle and the wine bag are all I have for water holding. If you need to carry more than a Gatorade bottle's worth, keep it in the wine bag in your backpack.

Getting the nozzle on and off without snapping it takes a little practice. Just grab it by the base of the nozzle, hold the bag and pull straight out. I broke one nozzle when I first started using it, none since.

If you don't need to store water overnight it's an air pillow.
    I need to give new gift to my wife. I am thinking of lingerie bag which is the best online store to purchase these bags?

Almost afraid to post to this thread... I am embarrassingly close to feeling like an expert on the subject.

I have carried as many as 5 wine bladders at a time in my training pack, I have given them out for this purpose, and have long used them to carry emergency water supplies on boats.

first, being from wine country I feel compelled to mention "Franzia" is not ones best choice for box vino. I do like "Oak leaf" available at walmart, and "black box" wines. They both come in the 3l size I prefer. I agree with the earlier poster who said they actually hold closer to 4l of water when freed from their box.

I wash them with hot water, and have not noticed any wine smell or taste after being rinsed 2x. The spouts are tight, but pop out when pulled on. If you do not use tools to get it out, it will likely not leak when it is re-used.

whatever brand of wine you choose, look for the spouts with the twist type valve, the ones with the little red button can leak because they get pressed on. The red rubber ball does not need much pressure to open, maybe that is why others have had problems.

i have not carried them hiking, ok sometimes I have... But with wine in them

they are cheap, durable, affordable, and light.
    Want a 'Hike Your Own Hike' sticker?... => send me a message <=

Favorite quote;
    Quote Originally Posted by sailsET View Post
    My guess is that you are terribly lost, and have no idea how to the use the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    Interesting. Out of curiosity, is the coffee hot when you buy the bag fron DD?

In other words, is the liner in the bag rated for hot liquids?
    Yes. They put fresh brewed hot coffee in the bag.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++