WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Hiking Alone

Default Hiking Alone

So when I told my dad that even if nobody comes to the Trail with me, Ill hike anyway, he wasnt happy with the idea of me hiking alone. He says that its a matter of saftey. So I would like some information from you guys about why he shouldnt worry about the idea of me going alone.

(He cant make me not go, but it could be problamatic if he doesnt approve of me going).
    Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens. But let him not vow to walk in the dark, who has not seen the darkness fall.

Quote Originally Posted by AirOutlaw7 View Post
    So when I told my dad that even if nobody comes to the Trail with me, Ill hike anyway, he wasnt happy with the idea of me hiking alone. He says that its a matter of saftey. So I would like some information from you guys about why he shouldnt worry about the idea of me going alone.

(He cant make me not go, but it could be problamatic if he doesnt approve of me going).
    How old are you? Look the trail is safe. You will have so many people around you. Some of them will be strange and some will end up friends for life. I understand your Dad's issue. He should be concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    How old are you? Look the trail is safe. You will have so many people around you. Some of them will be strange and some will end up friends for life. I understand your Dad's issue. He should be concerned.
    I'm 17 now, and Ill be 18 when Im hiking.
    Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens. But let him not vow to walk in the dark, who has not seen the darkness fall.

Images

Lots of "girls" hike on the AT alone all the time. My own daughter did. I wonder why so many macho guys are so scared of it.

But truth be told, you are rarely alone. There are plenty of people on the trail at almost any time. It can be hard to be alone, even if you want to.

You dad should worry more if you drive alone to a concert or game.

Best to you.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

You could do what shlep did. Find a hiking partner to start the trip with to ease parental concerns. Dad likely won't be too upset if a week on the trail you tell him you aren't hiking with that person anymore but you met new friends you are hiking with.

It is the nature of parents to worry. You won't convince dad not to worry about his kid being on the trail alone.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

If you were a gal, I would say wait a few years before going alone. Regardless of how safe it might be, I can see how your folks would worry. If you are a guy, you just need to put your dad's mind at ease. A few weekend solo hikes should do that.

Chicken Feathers Chicken Feathers's Avatar

When are you starting if you start April to end of May you will have a hard time being alone. Just remember if you are concerned always stay in a group. You will meet more people than you want. Tell your dad to check WB out for safety comments. Have a great hike and meet plenty of people or fellow hikers.
    The mountains are calling and I have to go

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    If you were a gal, I would say wait a few years before going alone.
    Why???? Girls are just as safe on the trail. They can fend for themselves. Plus with all the guys on the trail, someone will always have their back.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I offered to equip and fully fund a thru hike for my 17 year old son and he wasn't interested. To me, it is one of the safest ways to learn planning and self reliance than I can think of and it's relatively safe.

I'm 17 now, and Ill be 18 when Im hiking.
    tell dad it's either the Marine Corps or hiking

Images

This is for a thru-hike? Norhtbound? There are plenty of hikers on the trail, and we look out for each other. Speaking as the father of a 19-year old, I'd be fine with her doing a solo thru-hike. It's way safer than being at college, seriously.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by Chaco Taco View Post
    Why???? Girls are just as safe on the trail. They can fend for themselves. Plus with all the guys on the trail, someone will always have their back.
    I said regardless of how safe it might be, she should wait a few years, for her parents sake. Just my opinion, regardless of how safe it might be.

Before I did a long trip I would have --- as a parent --- been really concerned if one of my daughters decided to do a thru-hike "by themself". After having experienced the trail culture personally, I'd be a lot less concerned. Thru-hikers tend to look out for each other, often have an idea of who's hiking just ahead or just behind them. Often when I would meet someone for the first time we would both say that we had already heard of the other person.

And with so many people on the trail --- particularly the AT --- so long as you're not starting well outside the normal start window, or maybe going SOBO, it should be easy to hook up with one or more other people to hike as a small group.

Hmm, my comments are assuming you're thru-hiking, but neither your comments nor this particular forum suggests that you are. I still don't think it's massively unsafe, but the dynamics shift then depending on when & where you're hiking. And in general, based on what in particular your parents are most concerned about! (other hikers, "bears", falling off cliffs, etc etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    tell dad it's either the Marine Corps or hiking
    Good answer.

I don't know why many assume if your starting the hike alone, you will stay alone. It not like your going to some forsaken wilderness at the ends of the Earth.

If you start at Springer on any given day in March through May, you will likely be with a group of hikers from day one. Day two at the latest. What's not likely is that any of them knew each other before that day. Its more common to start alone then it is with someone you already know.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianLe View Post
    Hmm, my comments are assuming you're thru-hiking, but neither your comments nor this particular forum suggests that you are. I still don't think it's massively unsafe, but the dynamics shift then depending on when & where you're hiking. And in general, based on what in particular your parents are most concerned about! (other hikers, "bears", falling off cliffs, etc etc).
    Itll only be a section hike sadly. Im starting right after graduation, so Ill have to start at a later point than Springer(Damascus VA looks like a good starting point for late May). Ill be going as far as my $ and feet can take me, and hopefully that means Maine.

That said, I know a young woman, now in her thirties, who has been doing a lot of adventure racing since she was in here teens. I could see her going off and doing a thru-hike at 18. Things is, she was really in her element. She didn't need anyone to look out for her, though of course everyone did. A young woman needs to have alot of confidence going in, in my opinion. That can be transfered from other areas, such as sailing or running or some such thing, especially individual sports. Thing is, its really just our opinions, but its her and her parents business.

Besides, I believe this particular gal is a guy, so its all the more moot.

Another squeeze of lemming 'arry!

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I offered to equip and fully fund a thru hike for my 17 year old son and he wasn't interested.
    Would you like you adopt me? I'll call you every day from the trail, which is more than any 17-year-old would do, I won't get in trouble with the law, and I won't end up with a pregnant girlfriend. What more could you ask for?
    Frosty

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    I said regardless of how safe it might be, she should wait a few years, for her parents sake. Just my opinion, regardless of how safe it might be.
    I can see making concessions for parents' feelings, but waiting years to do what you want so that your parents won't be uncomfortable doesn't seem like a healthy thing to do.

It's the nature and right of parents to worry. That doesn't mean their children have an obligaton to do nothing that might cause a parent to worry.

It is the parents' job to do the best they can and let go when they have to. (Generally, a typical teenager's behavior is God's way of helping parents to let go.)
    Frosty

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++