WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Unable to Contact the Hiawassee Inn

Does anyone know whether the Hiawassee Inn is still open? I called two phone numbers given in the guide books, but both were not in service. I was planning on using the Hiawassee Inn for shuttle service and a mail drop. It would be a shame if it is closed as I enjoyed staying there during my GA section hike last year.
    Take it easy, but take it...iTrod

Journal Entries
    Images

They were not closed in Nov of 09. The owner was a real nice guy and would love to have hikers there. It is a nice little hotel and very nice staff. This is the number I have 706 896 4121 and it worked for me at the time.
    I don't know

The owner closed the Inn.We don't know if it will be short term or permanent .I will be there in a few weeks and report back. Adam is a nice guy and I hope he gets the problems solved.

El Sordo
    Images

When I was there a couple of weeks ago the sign said closed until Spring. Not sure what that means.
    Dyslexics Untie!

Journal Entries
    Images

Ah that is a bummer I had a nice stay there. Was planing on staying there in march too. I wonder what happen do you know Razor.
    I don't know

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lndwlkr View Post
    Ah that is a bummer I had a nice stay there. Was planing on staying there in march too. I wonder what happen do you know Razor.
    I've head a lot of good stuff about the Hiawassee Inn but when I hiked through there I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express and of the ~1300 miles of trail I've hiked so far that is the best hotel I've stayed in.

Very nice rooms, huge comfortable beds, washer and dryer, hot coffee, hot chocolate, and fruit 24/7 and a pretty good continential breakfast.

It also is next door to a grocery store, AYCE restuarant, Hardees, and another, larger chain supermarket and the outfitter are within very easy walking distance.

They keep a shuttler list and within 30 minutes of checking in I had a ride back to the trail the next morning.

Author, Awol on the Appalachian Trail
    Images

When I called them (October?), Ron Hulbert had sold to new owners. The new owners intended to keep mostly the same hiker services, except that they would not be doing shuttles.

+++

Just called another person in town and was told there's a sign at the Hiawassee Inn saying it would reopen "in the spring".

Journal Entries
    Images

I got a Shuttle from them in November to Dicks Creek Gap. A really really good price too. I was able to meet the new owner when I was up there and he was a real nice guy. I hope all is well with them I was planning on a stay there in March or April. Maybe they are doing some renovating on the place
    I don't know

Survivor Dave's Trail Shuttles-www.atsurvivordave.com
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by lndwlkr View Post
    I got a Shuttle from them in November to Dicks Creek Gap. A really really good price too. I was able to meet the new owner when I was up there and he was a real nice guy. I hope all is well with them I was planning on a stay there in March or April. Maybe they are doing some renovating on the place
    A good shuttle option in Hiawassee is Joyce Monroe.706-896-9339.
    Georgia Shuttling Website www.atsurvivordave.com

Journal Entries
    Images

The main reason I want to hit that town again is the Huddle House breakfast. I can't stand HH or WH but this is the best Huddle House I have ever been too. A 6egg and bacon breakfast can't be beat when your hitting the trail that day. The stay at the hotel would have given me an opportunity to do that. I know there is other places to sleep but I liked the Inn.
    I don't know

Adam has had some financial setbacks and has been trying to work through them.Although there are several signs up no one really knows yet what will happen as they try to restructure their finance package or if they they can in this banking environment. We can only speculate until some new development happens.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Survivor Dave View Post
    I will make note of this number now so I wont forget it. Thanks
    I don't know

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Awol2003 View Post
    When I called them (October?), Ron Hulbert had sold to new owners. The new owners intended to keep mostly the same hiker services, except that they would not be doing shuttles.

+++

Just called another person in town and was told there's a sign at the Hiawassee Inn saying it would reopen "in the spring".
    i am just finishing your book(great) and and am using your guide(great2) for my thru next month! thanks!
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Survivor Dave View Post
    That's who I used...

I do shuttles in all of Ga 813-470-9777.
    The trail is ever winding and the party moves every night.

The Inn has been bought by a friend of the trail that everyone knows .It will be annouced next week and everyone will be very pleased .We can expect the very best service on the trail-- This will be fab news .Stay tuned.

Solitude without lonliness... rjridgely's Avatar

I tried staying at the Inn around jan 24th and it was closed, stayed at Moll's and the ride I arraigned back to the trail was Ron, who told me they gave up the Inn late last summer and that the people running the Inn were busted for a meth lab there and it is now closed until....well, who knows.

Thank goodness the door was open and I could retrieve my Drop box

++ New Posts ++