WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Default sleeping bag/ tent

I'm looking for some advice on a sleeping bag and tent. I'm only 4'11 so AI don't a bag that is too long. Right now I tie a bandanna around the bottom. I was wondering if there is anyone who has tried a kids sized bag. I am a cold person so I need a warm bag. I don't need much room in my tent since I'm not that big. I do sleep with my pack in the tent. Any suggestions would be helpful. I only weigh 110lbs so I need to keep my pack weight on the light side.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Ask Mrs. Baggins.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Look for small women's bags, not sure who has best line up, but think sierra designs may, and the other option would be getting something custom done, which may be the best option, but spendy. Money spent wisely on way good bag, is good money IMO. Being cold at night, nothing worse. Feathered friends may do custom, work, not sure, maybe western mountaineering as well. I think this would be smartest route for you, given you have some money for this.

Our experience is that non of the kids bags match what can be purchased for adults. The montbell superstretch has a draw cord that at least doesn't waste the down... it makes an extra warm foot pocket for someone around 5ft. My daughter loved hers. I expect that feathered friends could do a custom size bag for you (xsmall is 4'9", small is 5'3"), and both nuntakusa and enlightened equipment do a custom length quilts. While a bit large, you could so a semicustom bag, x-small bag from phd mountain software which would be just a bit long.

As to shelters... it depends on what sort of conditions you are looking to face. Lots of general thoughts on my recommended shelters page.

--Mark

Registered User Pacific Tortuga's Avatar
    Images

Feathered Friends s. bag, it will cost $$$.$$ but well worth it, IMO.

MSR- Hubba

h.shires- Rainbow 1 - single wall

Big Agnes- Emerald Mtn/Seedhouse SL 1

Put your money into a quality bag that fits and shop around for a good deal on a tent,
    it all depends on your budget.

Western Mountaineering has an excellent selection of 5"6" bags.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Quote Originally Posted by bulldog49 View Post
    Western Mountaineering has an excellent selection of 5"6" bags.

EDIT: 5'6" bags.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Journal Entries

I've been asking around and it has been suggested to have one of my bags cut and sewn to fit me. What are your thoughts. Would the bag loose any warmth? Would the zipper fail? Help!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mooch11 View Post
    I've been asking around and it has been suggested to have one of my bags cut and sewn to fit me. What are your thoughts. Would the bag loose any warmth? Would the zipper fail? Help!
    Would it lose warmth? It depends on how skillfully done. Skillful = $$, unless it's a friend or relative. If it's done well it could add warmth, putting all the insulation into a smaller area. It's probably easy to do a 30F bag well enough. If you have to pay much for the modification, it's probably not worth doing unless it's a high quality bag. You could ask the manufacturer or try http://specialtyoutdoors.com/, Penny does gear modifications/repairs.

Zipper fail: I think many zippers can be shortened, not that I know how to do it myself.

Default Bag & tent

BAG > I recommend either a Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends bag. Those are THE premier American made down bags and will last decades. My WM Megalite is warm down to 25 F. even though it's rated to 30 F. I'd stay away from Mountaing Gear down bags as they seem to be underfilled.

TENT > I own a TarpTent Moment (28 oz.) for its truly great design. You could use a TarpTent Sublite for less weight but it has no vestibule. (I would not recommend a TT Rainbow as it's heavier than the Moment.)

Eric

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I like having extra foot space in my Montbell down hugger. No way would I alter a sleeping bag, but I don't sew anyway.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I met this woman on the AT a few years ago. She USED to have a custom gear shop in NC.
    I have no idea whether she's doing any sewing work now.
    She is very petite - under 5 feet. If I remember correctly, she is exactly your height.
    She altered an off-the-shelf down mummy bag to fit her better (and to save weight) on her trip.
    Take a look around her website and see if you can contact her about your situation.
    I'm sure you'll find a sympathetic ear.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Oh, I suppose a link is in order - http://www.trailquest.net/BRindex.html
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

You should also consider making your own quilt, it would be easy to customize the pattern for your size and would definitely save on weight.

Of course there are the custom manufacturers such as others have mentioned but perhaps there are some other companies that have bags repaired by subcontractors under warranty service, or do they all just replace the bag with a new one? So you might find a company to recommend someone who can alter a bag or perhaps someone here who makes their own gear could do it.

Images

I'm 4' 10" and my REI Sub Kilo (and Sub Kilo Plus) are both a woman's regular bag and I wouldn't trade them for anything. I have lots of room to snuggle down into the bag when I want to be out of the cold and the wind and, while I, too, tend to be cold all the time, both bags keep me very warm and toasty. I use the Sub Kilo down to about 35 degrees and the Sub Kilo Plus for colder weather or just when I want a "puffier" comfy bag. I'll often put my clothes for the next day down inside the foot of my bag to keep them warm and quick to hand in the morning. I think REI has since renamed their bags.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Images

I should add, I've tried using a child's bag (or "juvenile" as it was called when I bought it in England) and it was awful. Far too tight in the shoulders, and no room to scooch down inside it.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Images

Can you sew? You can build a quilt to your dimensions in a day and only spend $100-150 if you have sewing skills. Sadly, I lack skills and confidence to complete a project like that, so I am having to pay someone to do this for me.

I know you were looking for a bag, but given your weight, it may be even more important for you to consider trying to save even more weight with a quilt.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    I met this woman on the AT a few years ago. She USED to have a custom gear shop in NC.
    I have no idea whether she's doing any sewing work now.
    She is very petite - under 5 feet. If I remember correctly, she is exactly your height.
    She altered an off-the-shelf down mummy bag to fit her better (and to save weight) on her trip.
    Take a look around her website and see if you can contact her about your situation.
    I'm sure you'll find a sympathetic ear.
    http://www.trailquest.net/BRindex.html
    Good link! That's Brawny. She used to make a very nice tarp tent that would be worth buying used if you can find one. I had a chance to buy one used and passed because it just seemed a bit small for me (5'8").

You can order a Feather Friends Rock Wren (or the Winter Wren) in a short 5' 4' size.

Journal Entries

Thanks to all my friends out there. I love all the advice, now to make some decisions.
    Cant wait for March 20011.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++