WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Where did you zero?

Just wondering where people thought were the nicest places to zero on the Long Trail. Lets hear what ya got

Images

That is, if you did take a zero. I know it's a much shorter trail than the AT. But if you did take a zero I'd like to hear about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon View Post
    Just wondering where people thought were the nicest places to zero on the Long Trail. Lets hear what ya got
    Stowe. there's a motel that has free bike usage for the bike path

Lots of great places, I would say Bennington and Manchester Center come to mind, although I didn't hike the whole Long Trail.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Stowe. there's a motel that has free bike usage for the bike path
    Yeah I was thinking that would be a sweet spot LW. You remember the name of the motel?

I did a zero at the Inn at the Long Trail. If I did it again, I wouldn't have zeroed there, just neroed. Spent part of the day going into Rutland, and the cars and the mall shocked me after being in the woods for a week and a half.

Yeah I was thinking that would be a sweet spot LW. You remember the name of the motel?
    http://www.stowemotel.com/

Images

Thanks. I have been by there a bunch of times. The fiancee and I have been up to Stowe in the fall for the last four years, we stayed at the Green Mountain inn though. I didn't realize the Stowe motel offered the bike thing when you are hiking through.

Thanks. I have been by there a bunch of times. The fiancee and I have been up to Stowe in the fall for the last four years, we stayed at the Green Mountain inn though. I didn't realize the Stowe motel offered the bike thing when you are hiking through.
    yup. we stayed 2 nites. rode the path a lot to bars and restaurants and in town to laundry, library and stores. there's a great sports bar with awesome food across the highway and up a side road. kind of a local joint. forget the name

We enjoyed Manchester, both as a zero and a nero. Bromley shelter is the nicest shelter in that section and 1.8 miles in from Rt11. Makes it easy to go to town, get your chores done, pig out and hike into the shelter that evening staying the next day to just chill out.

Another favorite is Brandon Gap. Either head into Brandon or into Rochester. Both are nice, quiet little towns with ample food available. Both of them have really nice unique historic cemeteries. The one in Brandon has a soldier buried there who was with Washington at Valley Forge I think. He died at 90+ years old.

Default zero day on the LT

At the Inn at the Long Trail. reasonable price, washer drier facilities, great food, they take mail drops, Close to trail. What more could a hiker want?

David

I zeroed in Stowe also. It is a pretty nice town. My zero day was more due to weather though. I wanted to have a nice day on Mansfield, not a rainy, foggy one. I was glad I waited the extra day.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

On a SOBO thru-hike in August 1979, we zeroed in Stowe and Inn at Long Trail. We also had a short LT miles day to resupply out of the Wallingford P.O.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

yup. we stayed 2 nites. rode the path a lot to bars and restaurants and in town to laundry, library and stores. there's a great sports bar with awesome food across the highway and up a side road. kind of a local joint. forget the name
    been there too if its the same place you are thinking...cant remember the name either though
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

N. Adams(southern terminus, near the outfitter, they allow you to stay in the yard behind the place, has just about everything including access to public transportation if you went SOBO on the LT), Bennington(tented in cemetery behind huge grave stone, check out the Bennington Monument, nice growing Vermont town, I hear there are trail angels, YMCA will allow you to take showers and gives cheap rides back to the trail), Burlington(campground w/ showers on Lake Champlain, I hear there is a homeless shelter that allows you to take showers, the hostel had closed down in 2007, hotels, restaurants, happening downtown college atmosphere), Middlebury(stealthed in the woods on a creek near the blue blood college near downtown, could not find a hotel w/ vacancies), Rutland(stayed w/ the cult crazies at Twelve Tribes(only kidding, too many posts on WB putting these people down who have an outreach to the hiking community, I and a whole lot of other hikers have enjoyed our multiple stays there, great food, near a great many services, public transportation), Manchester(nice hostel, has just about all services, not too expensive), Stowe(touristy and much of a expensive skiing yuppieville, but some nice but expensive B and Bs, restaurants, arts, gourmet grocery store, long paved jogging trail that abuts the creek for several miles can be used for an impromptu going out of town stealth), Waterbury(near the Amtrak station on a creek under an overpass in a 2 day downpour).

I have stayed in all these places and more at one time or another while hiking in Vermont.

Rochester is a smallish town but w/ laundromat, PO , couple of hometown style restaurants and lg grocery store near each other. One or two places where you could get a room. Last I heard the laundromat was exploring the idea of installing showers aimed for hikers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Rochester is a smallish town but w/ laundromat, PO , couple of hometown style restaurants and lg grocery store near each other. One or two places where you could get a room. Last I heard the laundromat was exploring the idea of installing showers aimed for hikers.
    So shower heads pointed at armpits, crotches, and arseholes?

Quote Originally Posted by Luxury Bullseye View Post
    So shower heads pointed at armpits, crotches, and arseholes?
    All of the above and below. Hikers have been known to accumulate hiking crud in lots of out of the way places.

Have you ever experienced two naked hikers scanning each other's bodies for ticks. STRANGE coming across that! Resembles two albino chimpanzees undergoing chemo grooming each other for insects.

++ New Posts ++