WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tent Platforms

Default Tent Platforms

I have been given a nice solo tent that weighs in at 2.5 #'s trail weight. But it is NOT freestanding. Are the platforms set for just freestander's or are they also usable for non-freestanding tents?
    Or to keep it short, should I just bite the bullet and buy a freestander?

no problem with non-freestanding tents on platforms, carry some parchute cord to tie off with.

you just have to be a bit more creative to use a non freestanding tent on a platform, but works

Nail it down.
    “Only two things are infinite; The universe and human stupidity,
    And I’m starting to wonder about the universe.”
    Albert Einstein

I have read suggestsions on other forums to use small nails that can be pulled out with your leatherman, or screw in eye-hooks. Not the best for the platform, but prob lower impact than setting up on the ground.
    Adventure is the invitation to the common person, to become uncommon. ~ wm
    Bivouac is a French word for "mistake". ~ Ed Viesturs

easy to tie off to the end of the boards, and alot of the tent platforms have eyehooks to tie off to! leave the nails at home!

Garlic
    Images

All the above, and you can even make "deadmen" out of sticks and a short length of cord and put them between the planks.

It is a hassle, but you'll probably only have to do it a couple of times. I avoided those as best as I could.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    All the above, and you can even make "deadmen" out of sticks and a short length of cord and put them between the planks.

It is a hassle, but you'll probably only have to do it a couple of times. I avoided those as best as I could.
    Often too you can wedge tent stakes in between the boards--can take some pushing and some pulling later to get them out but usually they stay put once in.

Thank you all!! You just saved me from explaining to the wife why I needed to buy a different tent.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

FYI, you don't even need extra cord. Worst-case scenario, you could cut off a couple of feet of whatever you're using for bear hanging, but I doubt you'd even need that.

yeah i didn't mean buy extra cord, i cut off a few small pieces off my bear bagging rope! once i got far enough north where theres more tent platforms! doing it without any rope might be more trouble than just using the rope/cord. parachute cord is so light and strong.

Quote Originally Posted by veteran View Post
    Nail it down.
    lol lol lol

Images

My tent is not freestanding (LHG Solo) and I was worried the first time I used a platform. Luckily, the places I had to use a platform had a bear box, so I just used my bear bag rope, without cutting any off. I saw and used several methods depending on the platform, sticks between the planks, tent stakes, rocks holding down the rope, even rocks hanging off the platform tied through the tabs with the rope. I got better at it. I finally got good enough at it that I could set it up inside shelters using only my rope and rocks, but it took a little practice. Just be creative, you'll be fine. It took longer than my friends with their freestanding tents, but cheaper than buying a new tent.

Double Rainbow sets up easy on a platform. The msr tent stakes that are X are great and fit in between the boards very snug. There is always a way.

and don't be shy about asking other hikers (or the caretaker) how to get your non-freestanding set up on the platforms. really not a problem once you "kknow the ropes"!

.com

Images

Good thread I was wondering the same. For now I've decided on a Moment tent ... for now.

Quote Originally Posted by pelenaka View Post
    Good thread I was wondering the same. For now I've decided on a Moment tent ... for now.
    The stakes that came with mine are ok, but I replaced them with some of the MSR Darts and Golites X tent stake. Also, first time you use it on a platform, just add the guy line with some slack to be able to modify when you need to, also for ground tenting. Makes it easier the more you use it, esp on platforms. Most of the time, hiking poles will be just fine for the free standing of HS Tarptents. I do not carry poles, so I set mine up non freestanding and it works much better for me than if I had poles. If you do have hiking poles then its a non issue with Tarptents.

Given enough of a breeze or snow load no tent is freestanding. Bring or make stakes or bring enough line to tie off to trees, roots, rocks, and

tent platforms.

I grew up hiking in the White Mountains in NH. Tent platforms were expected. We would often thread a short piece of line between the boards and tie it off to a typical stake underneath, or tie off to surrounding vegetation.
    Last edited by Tinker; 02-10-2013 at 17:54.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

I've known people who carry screw eyes to thread into the platforms. Officially a no-no. Don't do it.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

IMAG3032.jpg10647069_10152873575406719_4261082915548878922_n.jpgI know this is an older thread but i think these pics could help others. MLD Cricket tarp setup using deadman stakes in between the boards on the side over at Osgood campsite in the Whites and the LightheartGear Solo using pre-installed eyelets on sides of platform at Guyot Shelter, also in the Whites.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++