WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Dallas area hike

I'm looking to do a hike of 25 miles or more within a few hours of Dallas, Texas to help prep for my march 15th thru hike. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks

Images

The only places that I've heard of around here that you could do that distance is Cross Timbers Trail on Lake Texoma or you could drive to Quachita in Oklahoma or Arkansas. I've never been to either so I can't really say anything more than that. I would guess that Quachita would be better for AT prep but I don't know.

If you want to go somewhere a little closer you could hike the Greenbelt Corridor from Denton to Lake Ray Roberts State Park but it is extremely FLAT.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

It's about a 6 hour drive, but the Buffalo National River has a really beautiful backpacking trail (the Buffalo River Trail). I think it's 36 miles from end-to-end, and there are outfitters in the area that do shuttles.

Hike smarter, not harder.

I'd go for the Greenbelt Corridor. It is flat, but it gets a little hilly after you get to the end, and start up over the highway into Ray Roberts SP. And it's really sandy on that part too. Beats nothing.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Check out the Lone Star Trail in east Texas. I believe you can find info by contacting the Sam Houston National Forest. One of the trail heads is located near Lake Conroe. It is listed among the national trails as well. I do believe that there are some trail journals about it on line. Have fun.
    J D Cool

on down the page from your note on WB, there is a report on the Lone Star Trail and the reminder of Nocona's trip, (thank oso loco).
    "Nocona hiked it in 2006. She has a journal on Trailjournals."
    J D Cool

Pick up "60 Hikes within 60 Miles of Dallas/Fort Worth". You can also string some of the hikes together. I've been doing the Pilot Knoll trail, which is in the Lewisville area (20 miles north of Dallas). Add in that it's northern end at the Old Alton Bridge, is the southern/western end of the Elm Fork trail, and you'd have 12 miles out and back. Take a break at your vehicle, and repeat it. 25 miles.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Smile

Several good trails in SW Ark. including Caney Creek Trail and Little Missouri Trail which is part of Eagle Rock Loop Trail. There are a couple of others in the same area. Probably about 4 hours from Dallas but a pretty easy drive. If you need any more info on these let me know. They're pretty nice trails and good warm up hikes.
    "It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed."-Theodore Roosevelt

Images

4-C Trail in the Davey Crockett forest might fit the bill and be closer to you than the LSHT.

Yetti:

Mountain Dew lives in Dallas and knows the surrounding area very well. I'd PM him and see if he has any ideas for you.

Lake Georgetown Loop in Georgetown just north of Austin is probably what you are looking for. It is 26 miles around the lake easily done in 2 or 3 days. Not very hilly or anything and does have a short 1.5 mile road walk and 4 or 5 mile jeep trail walk. Its about a 2 to 2.5 hour drive. If you want more information let me know. A closer spot that was mentioned is Cross Timbers Trail on Lake Texoma. I have done about 10 miles of it before I lost the trail and turned around but it says it goes 14 one way so 28 total. That is about 1 to 1.5 hours away.

Hike smarter, not harder.

And it never hurts to start small and work up.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

++ New Posts ++