WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Another nonrunner dies while not running

From Runners World:

Non-Runner Dies While Not Running
    A Mississippi man died yesterday while not running in a local marathon.

Les Actiff, 43, of Jackson, Miss., collapsed while watching television in his Hattiesburg home. Attempts to revive him failed, and paramedics pronounced him dead at the scene.

He was still clutching a bucket of fried chicken.

Like 30% of the U.S. population, Actiff was obese. Federal statistics show that nearly a third of U.S. adults 20 years and older are obese; about two-thirds are overweight. Actiff had been a non-runner for more than 20 years, according to his family and friends.

Family members were stunned.

"I don't get it," said his wife, Bess. "He didn't run all his life. He was always so inactive. And now, this. You just never know, I guess."
    "At least he died doing what he loved," she added. "Not running."

Spectators gathered outside Actiff's home were similarly shocked.

"I'll never not run," said one woman. "It's too dangerous."

A large man on a scooter, out walking his dog, was more fatalistic: "If you can avoid doing a single positive thing for your health your whole life, just sit around like a lump and eat poorly and then still drop dead... Well, I just don't know. I guess when it's your time, it's your time."

Actiff appears to have died from atherosclerotic heart disease, according to Lamar County Coroner Paul Caste.

A memorial service is planned for Saturday, at the Pizza Hut off of I-59.

"He was still clutching a bucket of fried chicken."...good for him, at least he went doing what he loved.

Sounds like the editors over at Runner's World have been reading The Onion.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Images

Of Jackson, but has his home in Hattiesburg? Weird.

Anyway, I like Hattiesburg.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000 View Post
    Sounds like the editors over at Runner's World have been reading The Onion.

that was my first thought too!

fifo

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post

A large man on a scooter, out walking his dog, was more fatalistic: "If you can avoid doing a single positive thing for your health your whole life, just sit around like a lump and eat poorly and then still drop dead... Well, I just don't know. I guess when it's your time, it's your time."
    I think this is the fitness philosophy of most thru-hikers when not hiking, too.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

My dad graduated from Hattiesberg High School. Can't be a totally bad place.... All my relatives on his side live there.

Images

I knew there was a reason I quit running after my 10th marathon!! I haven't picked up the bucket of fried chicken yet. I'll start on that routine this weekend. Hope I can stick with it!! - Whew!

KFC now sells the grilled chicken, so that is much better for you, maybe our guy down in Miss. just needed to change his diet a little.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by txag View Post
    My dad graduated from Hattiesberg High School. Can't be a totally bad place.... All my relatives on his side live there.
    Is it also true that none of your living relatives have died?

He should have not run a 50-miler. They're twice as long.

Images

Where did they bury the survivors?
    2010 AT NoBo Thru "attempt" (guess 1,700 miles didn't quite get me all the way through ;) )
    Various adventures in Siberia 2016
    Adventures past and present!
    (and maybe 2018 PCT NoBo)

Non-hero does not die in a hail of machine gun fire charging the machine gun nest infested and manned by multiple enemies of the state, despite all the mountains of steamy red hot molten lead like substance typically called lead, but in fact is lead covered in a steel or copper plated jacket which was manufactured in an unknown country, but most likely a bad one, thrown around the non-hero savage who will never know what it is like to show or even feel courage, despite his many non-hero savage concerns for feeling such a heroic thrill and also a sense of accomplishment, what a waste for such a non-hero savage.

But on the plus side non-writer writer of above sentence did in fact drink homemade non-commercialized wine before writing.

Gato Taco.

Did they serve chicken at the funeral service? A wing and a prayer!
    "A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world." - Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by prain4u View Post
    Did they serve chicken at the funeral service? A wing and a prayer!

Like 30% of the U.S. population, Actiff was obese. Federal statistics show that nearly a third of U.S. adults 20 years and older are obese; about two-thirds are overweight.

If 1/3 are obese and 2/3's are overweight, there's not much hope for us over 20.

The article didn't mention that Les Actiff was actually watching "The Biggest Loser" when he died. The paramedics tried giving Les a gravy IV. His wife Bess, objected saying, "Why waste a good pint of gravy on someone who can't enjoy it." She used the remaining gravy over her mashed potatoes. According to a second article, two of the pallbearers got herinas carrying Les out of the church. Now who's the 'Biggest Loser'.

++ New Posts ++