WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default This mouse repellent works per the epa

Maybe somebody came across this before and posted it but I did some research on what mouse repellents ACTUALLY work.

The Fresh Cab product is EPA-certified effective as a rodent repellent (http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/biopesticides/ingredients/factsheets/factsheet_129035.htm).

I've seen it advertised for sale on a lot of sites (e.g., Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/Fresh-Cab-Rodent-Repellent-Pouch/dp/B0021LWPPY/ref=pd_sbs_k_1 ).

After digging a little deeper into Fresh Cab's EPA application I found out that the active ingredient in their product is balsam fir needle oil. The company uses a 2% solution to douse its Fresh Cab product with (eesentially a packet of material to absorb the oil extract used).

If you want to make your own Fresh Cab-like repellent you can buy 0.5 fl. oz. (15 ml) of 100% balsam fir extract from a variety of vendors. The cheapest I found was this one:

http://www.mothernature.com/search/index.cfm?query=Aura+Cacia+Fir+Needle%2C+Balsam+Es sential+Oil+&Type=Products

You'll may want to dilute it if you decide to use it (alchohol would probably work in a spray bottle). Fresh Cab claims their product lasts about 1-3 months but I'm guessing a higher oil extra concentration on whatever somebody might use to absorb the oil would last longer.

Another thing I discovered too: apparently most "critters" HATE the smell of both peppermint and cedar oil.

Then what will the Black Snakes do?

Be unemployed like a lot of people (:

Somehow I picture a bunch of demented AT hikers in shelters throwing out handfuls of Fresh Cab while singing Circle of Life.

Never, ever, trust the EPA.

I'm trying to think of a less believable organization than the EPA. Possibly Congress?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay View Post
    I'm trying to think of a less believable organization than the EPA. Possibly Congress?
    hehehehehehe

FDA, EPA is a close second.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

I look at the fir balsam oil extract "experiment" this way: if it doesn't work, you're only out a few bucks. If it does work, end of mouse problem (and maybe you smell better for a while

Images

We've got a bad cat who particularly loves to spray tents, sleeping bags, and similar. I've never had anything attacked by mice. Go figure.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Quote Originally Posted by RayBan View Post

Another thing I discovered too: apparently most "critters" HATE the smell of both peppermint and cedar oil.
    I thought pet stores sell cedar shavings as bedding for pet rodents. All these years the little pets have been tortured by the kids playing with them and "mom" putting fresh bedding in.
    "Today I have grown taller from walking with the trees." Karle Wilson Baker

Critters = non-rodents.

Quote Originally Posted by RayBan View Post
    Maybe somebody came across this before and posted it but I did some research on what mouse repellents ACTUALLY work.

The Fresh Cab product is EPA-certified effective as a rodent repellent (http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/biopesticides/ingredients/factsheets/factsheet_129035.htm).
    To be clear, I'm pretty sure, but not positive, that EPA certification does not address efficacy, i.e., confirms the product actually works. Instead, certification confirms compliances with EPA regulations, i.e., does the content of the product/working of the product follow the restrictions of chemical usage, emission standards, or other environmental/health issues associated with the particular type of product.

It's a quibble...and correct me if I'm wrong...but consumers should not automatically expect a product to do what it says it does because of an EPA certification label. I think.

FB
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
    The Constitution of the State of Montana

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    We've got a bad cat who particularly loves to spray tents, sleeping bags, and similar. I've never had anything attacked by mice. Go figure.
    That works for me also, mice never touch my stuff. My cat does not spray on my stuff, just sleeps on it. It's like the old joke, you don't have to run faster than the bear just faster than the guy next to you. Your gear does not have to smell like cat, just more like cat than the guy next to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiddleback View Post
    It's a quibble...and correct me if I'm wrong...but consumers should not automatically expect a product to do what it says it does because of an EPA certification label. I think.

FB
    No you're not wrong EPA (and FDA) certification means absolutely nothing.

No it means something. It means it won't poison the environment.

The EPA would certify liquid peanut butter as a mouse repellent, cause if you spray yourself with peanut butter it won't hurt the environment (won't do anything to repeal mice, but the EPA isn't concerned about that, that is the job of the CPA)

The EPA would not certify pure dioxin as a mouse repellent, cause it would harm the environment, even though it would do an outstanding job at repelling mice.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

I wonder if goldfish would repel mice?

Here's the link and info on balsam fir needle oil's "efficacy" in Fresh Cab (which, again, uses only a 2% solution). This is from the Technical data Sheet, which you can read the full version of if you'd like:

effectiveness
    http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/biopesticides/ingredients/tech_docs/brad_129035.pdf

Balsam fir oil
    Biopesticides Registration Action Document

D. EFFICACY DATA
    The Agency only requires efficacy data to be submitted for review in connection with the
    registration of products directly pertaining to the mitigation of disease bearing human health
    organisms and certain designated quarantine pests, e.g., ticks, mosquitoes, fleas,
    Mediterranean fruit flies, gypsy moths, and Japanese beetles. Efficacy data submitted for the
    EP (MRID 46784416) indicated the product provides approximately 68% repellency to mice
    over a 31-day period. While the study design contained certain flaws, the submitted study
    was judged to be acceptable. No additional efficacy data are needed

I think we're both saying the same thing or close to it. The EPA didn't certify the product works but accepted the statements from others (the manufacturer?) that the product works...

...or maybe not.

FB
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
    The Constitution of the State of Montana

Images

I would call the manufacturer and get a MSDS sheet on the product. Remember ATSDR would never lie to you....
    ---Where ever you go
    There you are---

The MSDS for Earthkind Fresh Cab can be found here .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++