WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Will I Be Cold?

Default Will I Be Cold?

I am heading up for a 4 night trip to St. Andres Lake (east side of Algonquin Park) this Friday night. I plan on sleeping in my Hennessy Hammock, but have not done so at this time of the year. The temperatures have been dipping pretty low up there (just below freezing) and am wondering if anyone has slept in a hammock in temperatures around zero (I am sure many have!)? I have a decent down sleeping bag (rated to -9) and a thermarest. Any thoughts?

Well my experience is that yes you will be cold at 0 F but you may be OK at 0 C with a thermarest pad - I have done 0 C with a thermarest LE and a 0 deg F bag in a HH and been comfortable - I also used the hot water nalgene to keep me company :-)

A bit below 0 C and I would suggest a DAM instead of the thermarest - I have yet to be cold with a DAM in the hammock with me so I don't know how far down that combination will go.

I do know that 10 F with a Guidelite theramrest and the same 0 deg F bag was a fast way to freeze my ass off - I'll never do that one again.

Not to sound stupid, but what is a DAM?

Thanks for the reply......

Images

Default Will I Be Cold

DAM = Down Air Mattress. I own one made by Stephenson's that has an "R" rating of about 9.5. I bought it to use in my Hammock for winter weather. They are really nice and are just nice to sleep on. The air mattress contours to the hammock better than a standard foam or self-inflating type sleeping pad. The air keeps the Down from being compressed so it retaines its insulating ability. If you want a "simple" way to keep your backside warm in the winter in your hammock the DAM is the way to go.

Ok I spent the last hour and a bit putting together a make-shift underquilt...Here it is: http://home.cogeco.ca/~webcamp/

I have no idea if it will work, but I will keep you posted after my trip this weekend!

Thanks again for the replies.

Gardenville,

Tks for explaining to me what a DAM is....looks like a great idea!

Images

:banana

Where does one buy a Stevensons DAM, and are they any good? I'm not a the sewing type to make an under quilt.
    Greg P.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I'd definitely go with at least a wide, closed-cell pad down to say, 45 degrees. The underquilt is probably your best bet for temperatures below that. I'm not as familiar with what a DAM would do for you, temp-wise.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Default Will "U" Be Warm

The link to "Stephenson's Warmlite" is

http://www.warmlite.com/start.htm "Warning" some products displayed with folks "el natural". They are not set-up for email reply but are easy to get on the phone. I have their DAM size called 64, it is 74" long, is 26" at its widest part and is 3" thick. They make 4 different sizes but can make a special order longer than a stated size but not wider. The quality of my DAM is excellent.

Keeping your backside warm in a hammock in the winter is a factor of getting enough insulation "R" value under you. What ever way you try be it a sleeping pad of some kind, a DAM, or any of the many underquilt ideas. I went with the DAM (R = 9.5) idea as it is much less complicated and may even be faster to setup. It cost $156 with Shipping & H.

Images

Default more dam info, please

Gardenville,
    Do you sleep on your side at all with the DAM, and is that one wide enough to keep yours knees from lying on the cold hammock fabric? Is it too hot to use in mild temps (40 to 50 at night)? Have you slept on it on the ground, and is it comfy there? (sounds like it would be)

Could be easier than an underquilt, and double for "no trees" campsites if needed (I camp in the Sierras).

Images

Default Will I be Cold?

Quote Originally Posted by sierraDoug
    Gardenville,
    Do you sleep on your side at all with the DAM, and is that one wide enough to keep yours knees from lying on the cold hammock fabric? Is it too hot to use in mild temps (40 to 50 at night)? Have you slept on it on the ground, and is it comfy there? (sounds like it would be)

Could be easier than an underquilt, and double for "no trees" campsites if needed (I camp in the Sierras).
    I use a Speer Hammock and sleep most of the time on my side. I have no trouble doing this with both the DAM or a Blue Target Pad when the weather is warmer. The sides of the Speer sort of roll up around you and hold you in. I have several different sleeping bags and one 40 degree WM Mightlite Down bag that will open flat like a quilt. I tuck this one under me and if I get warm I just poke one of my legs out a little. One of the reasons I got the DAM
    (the Stephenson's DAM has an "R" value of 9.5) was to use it on the ground or Shelter if the weather was real bad/cold and I decided I needed to be under a roof or in a tent.

The Poly Tube Air Mattress I made can have the Down baffles all put in or every other one if the weather is warmer. You can also just leave the Down baffles out if it is to warm (it still blows up with or without the Down baffles). This gives me the comfort of the Air Mattress and a way to adjust for changing weather conditions. For me my home-made (DAM) has much greater utility and warmth for less weight than I would ever have with an underquilt type system. No matter what system a person might use with their Hammock it is still all about "R" value and without enough insulation under you and around you, you are not going to be warm. I can stay nice and warm in my hammock with two sleeping pads and a 20 degree sleeping bag down to 29 degrees. Last years low here in my backyard.

I expect my Air Mattress system to evolve into something like a Poly Tube Sleeping Bag/Bivy/Hammock. Using Down baffles in both the top and botton. Made so you can put the Down baffles in or take some out as necessary for most any weather you might have. This sleeping bag thing would go into the Hammock or it just might become the Hammock. Since the Poly Tubes are closed plastic tubes the Down should stay much dryer than in a fabric bag of some sort. This all has to be tested under lots of different cold weather conditions and I hope to do that sometime after the first of the new year. I hope to spend a few weeks up in Maine in early 2005 and see how all my toys work in lots of snow and low temp.

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Default another thought

if your using an ultralight internal you may carry a thin piece of closed cell foam that gives your pack some shape/rigidity......this same thin piece of foam can do double duty under you in thehammock,,,,being closed cell even a thin piece (I use 1/4 inch in the mithril) can give an appreciable amt of insulation.....the piece I used went from shoulders to the top of the HH entrance slit.
    I thought I would lose the need for the 1/4 foam when I went to the Luxurylite but found it is nice to pad the canister with so it doesnt slowly rubb the pack through, so it is still with me.
    It could also be doubled and re-doubled and be used as a nice sam splint, a sit pad, etc.
    The weight of this piece of foam is just under 3 oz. and George Cole of KISKIL shipped it to me to use with the Mithril....thin stuff but very useful.

Images

Default forgot to comment on the DAM

these are my problems with the DAM, or why i didnt buy one:
    1. not wide enough to prevent cold-should-wrap in the HH
    2. uses your own breath to inflate, repeated use will saturate the down with
    moisture=weight and loss of effectiveness

I think another company, maybe Exped makes one similar but uses Primaloft-negating the moisture build up,,,,,but still not wide enough for my tastes in HH usage.

Then again it may be the insulated pad by Big Agnes, who many hammock users wrote asking them to market one wide enough for us...even suggested they market one for a big dog, it would be wide enough for us and only has to be long enough to reach shoulders to top of entrance slit....Big Agnes like all big co.'s never responded.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan
    these are my problems with the DAM, or why i didnt buy one:
    1. not wide enough to prevent cold-should-wrap in the HH
    2. uses your own breath to inflate, repeated use will saturate the down with
    moisture=weight and loss of effectiveness

I think another company, maybe Exped makes one similar but uses Primaloft-negating the moisture build up,,,,,but still not wide enough for my tastes in HH usage.

Then again it may be the insulated pad by Big Agnes, who many hammock users wrote asking them to market one wide enough for us...even suggested they market one for a big dog, it would be wide enough for us and only has to be long enough to reach shoulders to top of entrance slit....Big Agnes like all big co.'s never responded.
    The width of the Stephenson's DAM can be up to 28" wide. My Home-Made DAM can be made as wide as anyone would want it and also as long as they want it. The Stephenson's DAM has a bag-type air pump that will inflate the DAM without having to blow it up by mouth. My DAM can be blown up with a small pump or by mouth. The Down baffles in my Air Mattress come out if you want to dry them or just remove a few if it is to warm with them all in. I have never been next to a HH but don't see why it would be much harder to make something for it.

My Air Mattress design is a great "Do-it-yourself" project for someone that can sew a little.

GAME 2000
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gardenville
    ...I have never been next to a HH but don't see why it would be much harder to make something for it. ...
    Bill,

I think design differences in the Speer and Hennessy hammocks could effect the usefullness of different insulation schemes. The Stephenson DAM, with its 3 to 4 inches of thickness takes up a lot of volume. With the Speer, it will slightly effect stability since it raises you up, but the comfort should be outstanding and it shouldn't be much of a problem getting in/out of the hammock. With the Speer one can deal with the bug netting if the raised height and extra volume cause a problem. With a Hennessy, you may have a problem inflating it inside the hammock, getting in/out of the hammock with the DAM in place or even feeling like you have enought girth with the hammock and netting when you are laying on top of the DAM.

Youngblood

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood
    Bill,

I think design differences in the Speer and Hennessy hammocks could effect the usefullness of different insulation schemes. The Stephenson DAM, with its 3 to 4 inches of thickness takes up a lot of volume. With the Speer, it will slightly effect stability since it raises you up, but the comfort should be outstanding and it shouldn't be much of a problem getting in/out of the hammock. With the Speer one can deal with the bug netting if the raised height and extra volume cause a problem. With a Hennessy, you may have a problem inflating it inside the hammock, getting in/out of the hammock with the DAM in place or even feeling like you have enought girth with the hammock and netting when you are laying on top of the DAM.

Youngblood
    Hi Youngblood, I will post some pictures of me in my Speer "Silk" Hammock laying on the Stephenson's DAM and on my Home Made Air Mattress in my Photo Gallery. My Speer Hammock has a lot of what I would call wrap over and even on the DAM you can't even see me in it. You really lay in the Speer. It is about like being below the "water-line" on a boat. The comfort is as you suggest "outstanding". My Home-made Poly Tube Air-Mattress is the same "outstanding". Someday I hope to get a good look at a HH and see just how they work. I love the simplicity of the Speer design and you can't beat the light weight and extra comfort of using silk.

Section Hiker, 1,040 + miles, donating member peter_pan's Avatar
    Images

Default Stay warm

alternative to the various pad answers is the under quilt. www.jacksrbetter.com has light model that is compatable with the HH opening. Both elements of the three season set can be doubled up as under quilts in 10-35 degree weather and used with your current bag as a top quilt. Much more comfortable than pads.
    ounces to grams
    WWW.JACKSRBETTER.COM home of the Nest and No Sniveler underquilts and Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock

Images

Default on the DAM and the HH

I thought you were going to use Stephenson's DAM under the HH...I just hate any pad in the HH, it negates the inherent comfort of hammocking at least to me.

I have the biggest Camp K9 Dog Bed http://www.campk9usa.com/products/ I purchased for my Akita, that he rejected.

I tried this sleeping pad in the van. I would say: two deep is required.

The interior fluffy poly does not go thru even a front loader washing machine, well. It shredded. It is strictly "hand wash" stuff.

I don't think this bed would be workable in a HH.

I have been reasonably happy sleeping on snow, with a 0 F rated sleeping bag, on a full length closed cell foam pad. Of course, I was in a snowcave, with breathing holes punched thru the "ceiling" so I had no wind. The entire setup was pretty cozy.

GAME 2000
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan
    I thought you were going to use Stephenson's DAM under the HH...I just hate any pad in the HH, it negates the inherent comfort of hammocking at least to me.
    MM,

You mean you don't have one of those? How can that be... I don't understand!

Youngblood

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++