WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Journal Entries

:banana tuffiest s.o.b ever to do the trail

what is the heaviest pack anyone has ever heard doing the thru hike?

without learning a lesson and lightening it? minnie smith.

Images

Hey! He needed all that TP!!
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Journal Entries

i'm kinda looking for a weight my pack weighs about 53lbs. am i an idiot? or just over prepaired. i plan on bounceing some of my material after the smokies. but figured the extra stuff would keep me warm.

leaving feb. 21, cant wait

Quote Originally Posted by whistle dixie View Post
    i'm kinda looking for a weight my pack weighs about 53lbs. am i an idiot? or just over prepaired. i plan on bounceing some of my material after the smokies. but figured the extra stuff would keep me warm.

Be prepared to get flamed by a bunch of gram-weenies on this website and on the trail. I normally carry ~60lbs because I don't give one bit of consideration to weight when I purchase something and because I like to NOT stop in towns every 3-5 days.

In the beginning it did take some getting use to, but I just choose to ignore the initial discomfort and it went away. And now I always feel strong after a long-distance hike. You can really feel it walking without the pack.

BTW, I don't care one bit about how much one decides to carry, but I do like calling them names such as "gram-weenies", because of all the lecturing I've received.

Images

i'm training with a 50lb pack, but i plan on a 30-35lb pack weight for my thru attempt at the end of the month. hyoh! MADDOG
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

Instead of referring to pack weight, I prefer to think of it as your total weight "from the ground up." Isn't that what really matters? I'm about 285 lbs with me and the loaded pack.

I'm training with 50 pounds of body fat.

Stir Fry

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Be prepared to get flamed by a bunch of gram-weenies on this website and on the trail. I normally carry ~60lbs because I don't give one bit of consideration to weight when I purchase something and because I like to NOT stop in towns every 3-5 days.

In the beginning it did take some getting use to, but I just choose to ignore the initial discomfort and it went away. And now I always feel strong after a long-distance hike. You can really feel it walking without the pack.

BTW, I don't care one bit about how much one decides to carry, but I do like calling them names such as "gram-weenies", because of all the lecturing I've received.
    Nothing wrong with 60lb. if you have a pack that can carry it. If the pack was made for 40lb it sucks.

I get the biggest kick out of all these UL guys who are 50 lbs or better over weight. Instead of spending a grand getting your big three sub 9 pounds. Spend a few extra evenings in the park or trail, just say no to that big mac at lunch, or that 10,000 calorie santa fe chicken salad.

The easiest and least expensive weight savings is the person. You can shed an entire pack off in body weight.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BobTheBuilder View Post
    Instead of referring to pack weight, I prefer to think of it as your total weight "from the ground up." Isn't that what really matters? I'm about 285 lbs with me and the loaded pack.
    i just thru my pack on and jumped on the scales. i'm about the same.

__________________________________________________ __

i see a mountain or two lets see whats on the otherside; my mom

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lostone View Post
    I get the biggest kick out of all these UL guys who are 50 lbs or better over weight. Instead of spending a grand getting your big three sub 9 pounds. Spend a few extra evenings in the park or trail, just say no to that big mac at lunch, or that 10,000 calorie santa fe chicken salad.

The easiest and least expensive weight savings is the person. You can shed an entire pack off in body weight.
    somewhat new what does "UL guys" mean?

somewhat new what does "UL guys" mean?
    ultra-light
    www.postholer.com/Turtle Feet
    Follow me as I crawl the A.T.
    Life is an adventure or nothing at all ~ Hellen Keller

So many trails... so little time. Many Walks's Avatar

The Georgia hills will get you thinking about the extra weight and things you really don't need. You'll most likely be looking to swing into the Suches PO or at least holding out to Neels Gap to send some of it back. Between the two, thousands of lbs. of gear are sent back every year from the "tuffest sob's" on the trail. Good luck and enjoy your hike!
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. Henry David Thoreau

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Turtle Feet View Post
    ultra-light
    after i sent that i figured it out.
    thanks. boy i'm to slow with these abreviations.
    you can tell i'm from kentucky. lol.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Many Walks View Post
    The Georgia hills will get you thinking about the extra weight and things you really don't need. You'll most likely be looking to swing into the Suches PO or at least holding out to Neels Gap to send some of it back. Between the two, thousands of lbs. of gear are sent back every year from the "tuffest sob's" on the trail. Good luck and enjoy your hike!

thanks. i hope i can hold on to most of my stuff until the smokies though. i'm leaving feb21. and figure it's gonna be cold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Honestly, I don't think I could hike with a pack that weighed over 40 lbs. I mean physically I could do it and all but it would suck all the fun out of hiking.

I could carry a heavy pack (50-60 lbs) for a short distance if it had a purpose like carrying stuff to a party like Mags but to take off on a long hike with 40+ lbs is a non-starter for me.

after i sent that i figured it out.
    thanks. boy i'm to slow with these abreviations.
    you can tell i'm from kentucky. lol.
    Don't feel too bad. First time I saw UL on the forum it was in a thread regarding a DIY (do it yourself) headlamp. I was temped to point out that it is not Underwriter Laboratory approved on a homemade lamp. (the org that certifies most electrical devices sold in the USA) But I figured it out before I posted.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Images

Ultra Light

I am by no means an Ultra Light. I was glad to see that my pack when we stopped at the ATC office in Boiling Springs only weighted in at 37lbs but that was without any water and down to just 2 days of food. You will see some folks say that your max pack weight should be a ratio to your body weight. Like 20% of your body weight so if you are 100lbs a 20lbs pack weight. I think that this sucks because I am a big guy and so my pack weight would be up there.

Do what works for you and makes you happy. If you are one of those people who has to read every night you will have books. It adds weight but will it add to your enjoyment on the trail? If it does toss them in there.
    Often Accused, Often Guilty but Seldom Guilty of What I am Accused.

Images

I've carried Sherpa, 60 +lb loads as a guide, and I've carried "gram weenie" light as hell loads on long distnaces; My preference??? right smack in the middle... 30 Lbs.
    In my experience, being a "little" person, 5'6, 130 lb., my sherpa loads may or may not have contributed to the hyperextension in my right knee, and the scar tissue built up on the bottom of my foot... The point? Heavy loads; +45lb, may be detrimental to the success of a long distance hike. I've seen people finish the trail with big loads, but the majority of the stories you hear on the trail are of people who begin with huge loads and quickly discard until managable. There is no formula for "managable," just remember that you will have to carry that _______ for ______ miles, and that just may be the difference between a succesful long distance hike or a re-evaluation of your vacation time due to injury.
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler.
    Henry David Thoreau

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++