WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Foothills Trail

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default Foothills Trail

In a few weeks I'm going to be hiking the Foothills Trail. It's been on my short list for quite a while and I'm looking forward to having a few days with the new hammock so I can decide if I want to hang all the way from NY to Maine this summer.

Anyway... I'm trying to decide whether to hike from east to west or west to east.

It looks like there are no resupply options so that means lugging 5 days worth of food from day 1. Going east to west, that would mean starting with a heavy pack and doing a huge climb right out of the gate.

Maybe a food cache?

Images

I hiked the Foothills Trail last march. Had a very good time. We left a resupply at Sloan bridge. Hiked with two days food and then three days food. We went West to East. If I did it again I would hike it the same direction.

Images

I've hiked the FHT several times in both directions. It depends on if you want a few harder climbs at the start of your hike or at the end of it.

I hiked the Foothills from East to West. Got the hardest climb out of the way the first day. Pack was a little heavier but body was fresher. Did not do a resupply. Thinking of hiking it again in the Spring from west to east. May consider a resupply at Sloan Bridge (did not think of it before), but will most likely carry all food with me. Foothills is a great hike. Very few people. Plenty of water. Several water falls. Be sure and take the short side trail to Hilliard Falls. Suspect after the recent snow/ice that there will be several blowdowns.

AT 11,000 Miler
    Images

I prefer the Oconee to Table Rock direction. I've hiked it three times this way.

What about parking - is one end better than the other?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    What about parking - is one end better than the other?
    No, they are both inside of a state park. I've never had an issue when leaving my vehicle at either end.

I have not looked at the elev profile for the whole FHT but I think the elev. change is not much different overall no matter which way you go.

A food cache to avoid a 5 day food haul? Your food shouldn't be all that heavy. Unless the food cache doesn't require undo effort doesn't seem that critical to me avoid carrying 5 days food. The FHT is much like a casual walk to me. I don't remember anything being super steep. If you do decide on the cache I would extend the length of my hike to include Raven Falls and Ceasars Head SP

I've always thought it was nice to finish at Oconoee SP so I could stop by the campstore for a hot chocolate or ice cream or make a ph call and take a hot shower. It does take you further west though so I don't know if that plays into your plans.

The waterfalls, which this trail is know for, should be flowing well w/ all the rain. Do take the short side trips to the various falls.

Images

Cell phones work at whitewater falls parking lot, at an overlook in Table Rock state park and a very few odd places on the trail. It's a toss between Verizon and ATT. There are 3 main highways to cross; 107, 130 and 178 you could hide food or gear for resupply fairly easy. As far as Caesars Head State Park, trailhead parking lot; I wouldn't park overnight there were you elect to come out there instead of Table Rock. The other two parks are safe though.
    As far as going the loop at Ravens Cliff Falls with a backpack, why...... 1300 vertical feet in about 1.5 miles just go to the overlook or ditch the pack.
    Miracles; they are by nature unbelievable so the mind must rationalize them or justify God is real.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

i've hiked it 4 times, and every time i did it east to west. this was always just easier for me logistically...thats the only reason.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

tell me more of the Sloan Bridge resupply...are you caching there? or having someone drop off food. I really want to do this hike. I've done sections in each of the state parks but never connected them. I've paddled over to Whitewater Falls---I guess that'd be an option if you hiked someone in a boat to resupply but I like the idea of a cache.
    Start out slow, then slow down.

Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    tell me more of the Sloan Bridge resupply...are you caching there? or having someone drop off food. I really want to do this hike. I've done sections in each of the state parks but never connected them. I've paddled over to Whitewater Falls---I guess that'd be an option if you hiked someone in a boat to resupply but I like the idea of a cache.
    Want to hike it with me?

I'm leaving Wilmington Friday, March 5th, spending the night somewhere close and catching a shuttle Saturday morning. I'm blocking off 5 days for the hike which is ~15 mpd or so. I can go faster but need to finish in 5 days to get back home by Thursday if at all possible.

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

I appreciate the offer but I work every other week and that is my work week. It would be an excellent warm up too because my next AT section hike is first of May in Conn and Mass. But do report back on how you did your food.
    Start out slow, then slow down.

I'm pretty sure I'll just carry all my food. It would truly suck to cache it, get there and it be gone. Maybe if it were 7-10 days I'd do it but carrying 5 days worth of food isn't *that* bad.

Logistically, it'll probably be better for me to go west to east because it'll put me closer to home after the hike.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

I've always carried my food the whole way on this trail. 5 days aint that long. I've carried almost 2 weeks of food before on other trails.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Images

I hung a cache near Whitewater Falls, just off the road.

I hiked west to east. I liked starting my hike with a gentle uphill grade and ending with good views.

When I hike the Foothills Trail again, I'll probably go east to west.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    I hiked west to east. I liked starting my hike with a gentle uphill grade and ending with good views.
    This is my view also. Oconee SP to Jones Gap SP where car would be parked. Food cache at Laurel Valley access. A sweet trip.

When is best time for spring wildflower viewing? (early-mid-late / March-April-May)

Anybody hiked on from Oconee to Franklin via the Chatooga River and Bartram Trails? I have been wondering about making a spring trip by using the Foothills and those other two trails to possibly connect to the AT near Wine Spring or go on around to Cheoh Bald, then NOC or Fontana.

Anyplace to resupply around Oconee, would the park maybe hold a mail drop?

Images

I'm slower than you guys, and I like to keep the load as low as possible. Plus, I hike with my dog and carry her food. That makes for an extra 10 oz per day. I almost always start at TRSP. I carry 1.5 days food, bury 3 in an ammo box at Laurel Valley, 2.5 at Upper WW falls, and often end up with a little leftover. I also put fuel and olive oil in my food drops, so the load stays even lighter. 50 cal boxes work for one person, add a 7.62 for the dog. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by bobgessner57 View Post
    Anybody hiked on from Oconee to Franklin via the Chatooga River and Bartram Trails? I have been wondering about making a spring trip by using the Foothills and those other two trails to possibly connect to the AT near Wine Spring or go on around to Cheoh Bald, then NOC or Fontana.

Anyplace to resupply around Oconee, would the park maybe hold a mail drop?
    There is a campstore at Oconee SP. Call them to inquire about hrs. and holding a package. I think it hard to do a lengthy light wt. resupply from what's available at the store.

I would like to hear more about combining all the trails to get to the AT from Oconee SP. I don't think you will be on the Foothills Tr very long if you do your proposed route.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++