WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default MSR MiniWorks EX Filter

Shopping for filters and I am considering the MRS MiniWorks EX. Would like to get the thoughts of those who have and use this filter.

Thanks

I find it to be a good compromise among ease of use, price, bulk, and weight. The main advantage is that you don't have wait time as with chemicals. Others have different, valid ideas.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I have the MSR WaterWorks which is basically the same filter. The best feature of this filter is that it is totally field maintainable - that is, you can disassemble this thing and clean it in no time. What some do not understand is that if the filter works as it is designed, it will clog up and require cleaning. After cleaning, the filter is as good as "out of the box". I have used this filter for years, and would purchase another one if needed.

katahdyn hikerpro
    best by far!!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    katahdyn hikerpro
    best by far!!!
    And why is it the best by far?

I own the MSR Miniworks and it has never needed more than an easy to do filter scrub. It is field maintainable but seems to need no further maintenance for 2000 miles of use. I bought the an extra filter but am not even close to needing it.

Here is the link to the PDF of the manual.
    http://media.cascadedesigns.com/pdf/..._manual_en.pdf

The only negative I have read on it is one person dropped it and broke the ceramic filter element.
    "Today I have grown taller from walking with the trees." Karle Wilson Baker

Images

I have both the MSR Miniworks and the Katadyn Hiker. Used them both for several years each. Differences:

1. Maintenance. The MSR is easily maintained in the field. (Hint: do NOT drop any little parts while doing this maintenance.) The Hiker just works until it stops working, and then you replace the filter. It gets slower over time, so you usually know well in advance.

2. Clogging. My MSR filter would clog up every 2-3 gallons of water. Not a big deal to take it apart and scrub the filter element, but on a family trip this would be required every day. The Hiker just works.

3. Speed. The Hiker is much faster to pump than the MSR. Maybe 50% faster? It made a noticeable difference when filtering for three people.

4. Ease of use. If you use wide-mouth containers, like Nalgene bottles or Cantenes, the MSR is hands-down easier to use. Screw on the bottle and start pumping. I really like the bellows-style pump action of the MSR. The Hiker requires less force to pump -- so my kid could use the Hiker, but not the MSR when she was younger.

So which do I use now? Aqua Mira drops, actually. If I wanted to take a pump filter, for a long solo trip I'd probably take the MSR. Ease of maintenance and use. For family trips, the Katadyn.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

ive been eye ballin that new Katadyn filter that is out. It appears to have a pretty slim design and very sturdy construction. Filter life is rated at 13000gal (not a typo). But it is $250 with $140 filter replacement. but current filter replacements are 30 bucks a pop so do the math.

http://www.katadyn.com/usen/katadyn-...yn-pocket-usa/
    Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.-John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    And why is it the best by far?
    unless they retooled the MINI-WORKS over the last few years? if its the same filter they had out in 2003 and before? the katahdyn hiker pro was much faster than the mini-works! i hiked off and on with people that had the msr filter and they would get mad because i could and would have 3+ quarts of water pumped when they would still be on thier first quart! one reason was the pour size on the msr was smaller than the hikerpro. but the pump on the hikerpro was better. every year while thruhiking i would only replace the filter on the hiker pro once. i've used my (pur)hiker pro from 2000 and still use it today. has never broke or clogged. and im not trying to dog MSR PRODUCTS. the water filter is the only gear from MSR that i don't like, i have alot of other MSR gear and swear by them.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

I would NOT recommend the MSR Hyperflow under any circumstances.

i love when everyone says ''yeah but the mini-works is field maintainable''
    it reminds me of the movie Tommy Boy. when he says '' if you want me to crap in a box and mark it guaranteed i will'' but all that means is they guaranteed you a piece of ****!''

i don't care what filter people use. you need to take a few precautions when filtering and storing your filter. try to keep the filter out of the mud for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Compass View Post
    I own the MSR Miniworks and it has never needed more than an easy to do filter scrub. It is field maintainable but seems to need no further maintenance for 2000 miles of use. I bought the an extra filter but am not even close to needing it.

Here is the link to the PDF of the manual.
    http://media.cascadedesigns.com/pdf/..._manual_en.pdf

The only negative I have read on it is one person dropped it and broke the ceramic filter element.
    thats great! as long as it works for you go with it!

Virginia Tortoise

I've owned a Pur/Katahdin Hiker, a Pur/Katahdin Guide and now an MSR Miniworks EX. I went with the MSR because I was tired of having the Pur/Katahdin stop working in the middle of nowhere. At least I can take the MSR apart, clean it and I'm back in business. With the Pur/Katahdin, I was SOL until I was able to get to a town with an outfitter that had a replacement cartridge.

What was interesting was that the Guide would get harder to pump as it's filter was going. The Guide would just stop pumping without warning. Sometimes you could place the filter cartridge in a stream, clean it outand extend it's life. But most of the time you couldn't.

i,ve come across people on the trail and they couldn't get their pur (katahdyn) hiker filter to work. they didn't have any pressure in the pump, i showed them you need to pull the pump handle off and prime it(pour a liitle water into the pump and close it up. besides that all you need to do is lube the rubber washer on the new filter before you insert. thats all there is to maintaining a hikerpro filter. if your always clogging up? its cause your filtering in muddy water or something? i must be lucky then because my pur hiker has never failed! i had a sweet water filter in 98 & 99 it got to be a mess and clogged all the time!

Images

i love when everyone says ''yeah but the mini-works is field maintainable''
    it reminds me of the movie Tommy Boy. when he says '' if you want me to crap in a box and mark it guaranteed i will'' but all that means is they guaranteed you a piece of ****!''
    Hey Crumb, that is one of the attractive features of the MiniWorks. But from what I just watched on the Katadyn website, the Hiker Pro is also field maintainable. Since you use the Hiker Pro, is that also the case?

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe64 View Post
    Hey Crumb, that is one of the attractive features of the MiniWorks. But from what I just watched on the Katadyn website, the Hiker Pro is also field maintainable. Since you use the Hiker Pro, is that also the case?
    what did it show? besides priming the pump once in a blue moon and changing out the filter. thanks

Images

what did it show? besides priming the pump once in a blue moon and changing out the filter. thanks
    Here is the link to the Katadyn site for the Hiker Pro, and it has a short video. http://www.katadyn.com/usen/katadyn-...dyn-hiker-pro/

What it looks like is that a filter protector is available that looks to be a fiber/filter sheet that wraps around the filter to extend the life of the filter.

Images

Also what is the difference between the Hiker and Hiker Pro.

ETA -- never mind I just figured out the difference.

Images

I use the MSR MiniWorks EX and have yet to be disappointed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++