WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I bought the ground cloth cause it's a freestading tent so i can bring the footprint and the fly and leave the rest at home
    GRAVY

Images

Two issues, weight and real functionality, cancelled mine off the list after 1st section hike primarily due to excess weight and then limited functionality. Have been in some killer storms with and without, no difference, less weight ruled!

Well, what kind of tent is it and where will you be using it? That information is necessary to answer the question.

I have never needed a ground cloth on the AT for my Tarptent. It's just unneeded excess weight and if I had taken one on my thru-hike, I would have sent it home, without a doubt. I actually used my Tarptent as a ground cloth in a couple of shelters with dirty floors to protect my sleeping bag so I don't know why you would need to carry one for that. If your tent can't function without a groundcloth under normal circumstances take it back and get one that can.

I don't look at a silnylon tent as a permanent piece of equipment like a cooking pot but something that will get used up and worn out with normal use like a pair of shoes and certainly it is not an investment because even if it never wore out, it wouldn't earn me a single nickel of profit unless I rented it out.

If you do need a groundcloth because you will be hiking in stony, cactus-covered desert and you need to protect the floor of your tent from punctures, then consider a Tyvek sheet. If you will be hiking in areas where the ground is saturated and you are afraid it will seep through, then go with a lightweight sheet of impermeable plastic. Either way learn to size it properly in relation to the floor of your tent.

I read about a footprint keeping the bottom of your tent clean..........so what? You now have a dirty footprint to pack up. Something is gonna get dirty.

The reality is you really don't NEED a perfect tent floor unless you have a habit if setting up in a depression......don't do that.

For me a tent floor keeps the crawlies out and allows me to spread my things about without fear of losing stuff. If I didn't care about crawlies or losing stuff I would go without a floor all together.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

most tent manufacturers sell expensive "footprints", customized to fit the tent floor. Save your money, and save some ounces.... use a scrap piece of tyvek or 2-mil plastic sheeting if you absolutely want/need a groundcloth. The lightest groundcloth I've found is sold by Equinox, it's a 4'x9' ultralite silnylon cloth.. with tiedowns sewn into the 4 corners... only weighs about 4 oz

Thanks for to tips everyone. I really didnt want to buy a footprint but wanted some suggestions. I think i will just go with some plastic.

That's all you need. No need for TWO FLOORS (unless your tent has a balcony and staircase ).
    Basically, though, you'll need floor protection if your tent has a silnylon floor, not so much with a polyurethane coated floor - the poly floors tend to be more waterproof (on good tents, not on cheapo junk), and the nylon is usually thicker and tougher.
    Some people use tyvek, which is heavier than 4mm plastic, tends to pill, and picks up debris after that (on the plus side, it can be washed and used again).
    Another tip:
    GET BLACK PLASTIC - no, it won't necessarily dry faster, but it will be much easier to spot holes in when you hold it up to the light. Patch holes with duct tape until it gets too ridiculous then throw it out.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

If you are worried about holes in the floor just buy your tent from REI.

I have a Tarptent Rainbow, which has a pretty thin floor. I really liked having Tyvek in the desert to protect from rocks and sharpies. I use Polycro in the East. It keeps the tent dryer and cleaner (not having to clean mud off the floor when packing up after a wet night is a nice benefit for 1.5oz penalty).

On the AT, a you can use a ground cloth to sleep on in the shelters.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    I read about a footprint keeping the bottom of your tent clean..........so what? You now have a dirty footprint to pack up. Something is gonna get dirty.
    Packing away a dirty, and especially wet, shelter is a bad idea. There's no harm to packing away a wet and dirty groundcloth so long as you fold it up to contain the crud. Now if you take the time to dry and clean out your gear in the middle of the day, it probably doesn't matter how you pack shelter.

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    Packing away a dirty, and especially wet, shelter is a bad idea. There's no harm to packing away a wet and dirty groundcloth so long as you fold it up to contain the crud. Now if you take the time to dry and clean out your gear in the middle of the day, it probably doesn't matter how you pack shelter.
    A wet tent goes into a mesh bag or in the mesh pocket of the pack. If the weather cooperates it comes out for some drying time at lunch.

Pretty standard stuff there.....
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

I've never bought a "footprint" but always have used some type of groundcloth underneath the tent floor. I think it is common sense that if you can reduce the abrasion of you inside the tent - rolling around at night, with the tent directly on rocks, roots, woody stems, sand, clay, whatever - you will extend the life of you tent floor.

In the past I used 3 mil plastic sheeting cut to size, now I use the GG Polycryo. Amazingly tuff. Makes a great sit pad for breaks or lunch too when the ground is wet if you keep it accessible in an outside pocket.

Virginia Tortoise

I usually buy a shower curtain at the local dollar store. Works great.

Searching...

Quote Originally Posted by mikec View Post
    I usually buy a shower curtain at the local dollar store. Works great.

That's actually not a bad idea. Sure they may weigh more than the manufacturers foot print, but at less than 10% the cost, I'll carry a few more ounces.
    My wife asked; is it not dangerous where you're going? I answered; if it's not, it soon will be.

Smile Tyvex

If you buy some Tyvex House type Vapor Barier, You'll be convinced
    to Use a footprint.
    Cut it to size then wash it in a washing machine with a mild detergent
    a couple of times and let AIR DRY,
    I cut 1 for the Tent and 1 for sleeping bags, in the cold
    or damp weather you will thank Me for this advice.
    If man was man's best freind,
    it wouldn't be a dog eat dog world

Images

Default tent footprint

I just use one of those mylar emergency blakets...duel duty, footprint, sleep under the stars w/it under my sleeping bag, folded--use for seat,pillow... wrapped around sleeping bag--extra warmth, wind buffer, laid between fly and tent screen--extra warmth,.....etc, etc,..
    Do one thing everyday...that makes you happy...

Quote Originally Posted by white_russian View Post
    If you are worried about holes in the floor just buy your tent from REI.
    I dont get it...does REI make awesome tents?
    2010 SoBo Attemptee. Spraied ankle in PA. Worst day of my life.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spot In The Sky View Post
    I dont get it...does REI make awesome tents?
    no, they have an unparalleled return policy for members.
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

Quote Originally Posted by boarstone View Post
    I just use one of those mylar emergency blakets...duel duty, footprint, sleep under the stars w/it under my sleeping bag, folded--use for seat,pillow... wrapped around sleeping bag--extra warmth, wind buffer, laid between fly and tent screen--extra warmth,.....etc, etc,..
    I've used one of these for years good for all of the above cheap & lite.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++