WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Talking So..my 2010 NoBo Hike

So it's been two years of planning, and 10yrs of dreaming. But 2010 is my year to make it happen.

History: I first started hiking in the Boy Scouts back in 1997 and my first AT trip was in NC around the NOC for a week in the summer of 1999. We carried external Army ALICE packs loaded with crazy weights of Sterno's and heavy gear. Ever since then, I always told myself I'd go hike the entire thing at once. I started toying with the idea for a 2008 thru-hike, but I started planning too late and couldn't get anything together in time. So I decided for a 2009 hike when my car went kerplunk in Nov08 causing me to incur a debt that would eliminate hiking funds for 2009. So I set out to fully fund a 2010 hike, and this is it. The fruition of a dream.

Dates: I'll be leaving Saturday Night Feb 27th after the 2010 Nashville WhiteBlaze meetup and driving with my fiance down to Mt Springer. We'll be crashing in a free hotel (saved points) in Chattanooga and waking up early for Sunday morning to get to the Mt. As for finishing, I have no exact required return date other than the closing of Baxter, so whenever I stop is when I'm finished.

Contact: I have email: [email protected] and I have a blog: http://athiker2010.blogspot.com which I will update from my phone periodically.

Gear: After two years of research, testing, trying, and fitting, I have:

Gregory Z55 Pack
    REI Sub Kilo + Sleeping Bag
    Sea to Summit 10 degree liner
    Henry Shires Tarptent Contrail w/6 Titanium stakes
    ThermaRest ProLite3
    SnowPeak Titanium 1ltr mug
    SnowPeak Titanium IsoButane stove
    SnowPeak Titanium Bowl/Pan Kit
    REI Titanium Spork
    GSI Salt/Pepper Shaker
    OR waterproof/odor resistant food bag
    60ft paracord w/ 9-biner
    Customized Medical Kit
    Travel Toiletries
    2 Sigg 32oz Classics
    1.5ltr Camelbak
    Katadyn Pro Hiker Filter
    REI Carbon Fiber Trekking Poles
    REI pack cover
    Patagonia Thermal Synthetic Underwear Tops and Bottoms
    REI Wicking TShirt
    REI Sahara Pants
    REI Taku Jacket
    Sierra Designs Rain Paints
    REI Jungle Hat
    REI Wicking Boxer Briefs
    2x REI Smartwool Sock Pairs
    2x Wicking Synthetic Sock Liners
    Merrel Hiking Boot
    Sole Insoles
    Gerber Infinity Flashlight
    Petzyl Tikka 2 Plus Headlamp
    Leatherman CX Carbon Fiber MultiTool
    Verizon DROID and Charger
    Some other missed items and misc not worth listing
    Total Dry Weight: 21.6lbs

Food: Unlike what anyone is going to rant or rave about, I'm using maildrops for 80% of my food, fuel, and consumables(toiletries). I've gotten killer deals on items and its cheaper to ship them in a flat rate box than it is to buy it as I go. I got 250gram isobutane cans(SnowPeak) for $2/each as an example.

Towns: I'm going to rarely pop my head into towns for a post office, small food supply, and maybe a meal. I vow to never spend over $30/night for a hostel, and never stay in a streamline hotel. I find the towns to take away from the fun and time on the trail. And as stated numerous times, the longer you stay in town, the more you will spend.

Transportation: I'm working with my fiance to ensure that I obtain my Greyhound bus ticket from Maine back to Nashville. She'll be dropping me off in GA for starting.

Total Cost: $2500 over two years for the perfect gear. $500 for the consumables/food. $1000 for cash on trail available.

So there ya have it, a basic overview of my hike. Let me know if there's anything you'd like to know about anything. A question asked is worth answering.
    Hammock Hanger
    Section Hiker
    Nature Lover

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you have for upper-body insulation/warmth --- I see just the Taku jacket and a synthetic underwear top. Did I miss something, or is it your plan to somehow transition quickly from "warm from walking" to "in my sleeping bag" for a late February start? Or maybe that 19 oz Taku jacket is warmer than I'm guessing, but it's not clear that it has much (or any) actual insulation ??

Quote Originally Posted by BrianLe View Post
    Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you have for upper-body insulation/warmth --- I see just the Taku jacket and a synthetic underwear top. Did I miss something, or is it your plan to somehow transition quickly from "warm from walking" to "in my sleeping bag" for a late February start? Or maybe that 19 oz Taku jacket is warmer than I'm guessing, but it's not clear that it has much (or any) actual insulation ??
    I've spent several night in the extreme cold around here of 10*F. Between the Taku, the REI Tech Tee, and the Patagonia Level 3 Thermals, they are insanely warm. I've warn my Taku to the TN Titans football games in 30ish*F, I wore it making a 7ft snowman a week ago in our bad TN snowstorm, I've worn it ice skating, and its my general jacket. It's EXTREMELY thermal for me. But I do expect to be doing a quick transition from hike to bag for the ARTIC cold nights.
    Hammock Hanger
    Section Hiker
    Nature Lover

Hopefully I'll see you out there; you should be a couple days ahead of me.

Is that $500 total for food or in addition to what was spent on maildrops? If that includes what you put in the maildrops you need to let me know where you got supplies from

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbot View Post
    Hopefully I'll see you out there; you should be a couple days ahead of me.

Is that $500 total for food or in addition to what was spent on maildrops? If that includes what you put in the maildrops you need to let me know where you got supplies from
    That's everything, for 200 Tea Bags, 200ish Oatmeal Variety Packs, Granola Bars, DIY Mixed Nuts(bought several 10lb bags of almonds, pecans, peanuts, cashews and mixed them myself in bucket, foodsaver bagged them), dehydrating my own fruits and veggies that are in the freezer til ship date, chocolate for the winters, ramen, lipton soup, hot chocolate, easy mac, toiletries, batteries. I spent $467.26 to be exact.

My daily calorie average for the food I purchased it about 4000.

I shop Dollar Tree, Sam's Club, Costco, BJ's Wholesale, Amazon.com, Campmor, and my favorite Kroger. I set out for deals, buy in bulk when on sale. I got Tuna Fish in Aluminum pouches, 7ounces, $1/each. I bought the entire shelf of like 40 at Kroger. It was a week sale. I got the fuel on Amazon from an outfitter that was going out of business, bought 20 cans of isobutane. I buy hand sanitizer in bulk at dollar tree, $1, and put it into small canisters.

Shop Smart..
    Hammock Hanger
    Section Hiker
    Nature Lover

No comments from me other than good luck...I hope to meet you on the 27th over in Nashville. You will be 2 weeks or so ahead of me. See you on the 27th.

Good luck to you!

have a great hike and keep stepping!!!!

Hey all, I went through my pack today and sifted out every item to weigh it and decide its importance. I took the pack from 21.5lbs down to 17.509375lbs so I'm even better and lighter now, lol.
    Hammock Hanger
    Section Hiker
    Nature Lover

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SurferNerd View Post
    Hey all, I went through my pack today and sifted out every item to weigh it and decide its importance. I took the pack from 21.5lbs down to 17.509375lbs so I'm even better and lighter now, lol.
    I had my pack down to 29 LBS, including 3 days food, and 48 oz of water, one day last week, and I still took it by Mountain Crossings for a shakedown. Dart Man spent almost 2 hours with me going through it. We didn't change the weight much, but I learned a lot about how to pack it more efficiently.
    Last edited by Tuney; 02-10-2010 at 17:05. Reason: fix spelling
    Richard Angeli
    [email protected]
    http://trailjournals.com/tuney
    "Life is what happens while you're making other plans." John Lennon

Images

good luck! see ya on the trail! maddog
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

I hiked part of the AT with a pair of Merrels. Loved the boots for just over a week until they fell apart. Called Merrel to ask for replacements and was told by the company that Merrel hiking books arnt designed for serious hiking. Did end up getting a replacement pair and still like them, though if yours fall apart as quickly as mine did you may want to plan accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by LTROSS View Post
    I hiked part of the AT with a pair of Merrels. Loved the boots for just over a week until they fell apart. Called Merrel to ask for replacements and was told by the company that Merrel hiking books arnt designed for serious hiking. Did end up getting a replacement pair and still like them, though if yours fall apart as quickly as mine did you may want to plan accordingly.
    Already returned my Merrell's..today in fact. I called them yesterday, by far the WORST hiker customer support I've ever run into. They wanted me to pay to ship them the boots, they'd determine if they're defective, and within 3 weeks, ship back a new or the old pair. Ya, I told the guy, go F yourself I'll never buy another pair of Merrell again. So they went back today. I got myself a pair of TrailRunners instead, cheap, lightweight, and easy to dry out.
    Hammock Hanger
    Section Hiker
    Nature Lover

LOL..... I took the pack from 21.5lbs down to 17.509375lbs so I'm even better and lighter now .....

Still way to heavy! You need to get that down to 17.21123 lbs!

Keep a good attitude and laugh a lot. It really helps.

Enjoy your hike

All the Best

Default sooner or later there comes a time.........

You will be two days ahead of me. Keep the wind at your back and fear little of me catching up. Love your plan ...mine is similar...hike your own hike and have a blast. Hope to see ya on the trail.

I'm also using a Z55, great pack for a thru.

good luck

they sent me a new pair no problem last year but the mrs did all the talking i have a pair of merrell radlands to start finishing my thru hike april 6 picking it up in hot springs where i had to hop off due to a monster case of trenchfoot

I think you are all set. 17# pack weight is good for the weather. Don't let the guy from Hiawii tell you to take too much more out the conditions right now are tough. I'm starting next week and I added some weight to my pack. I was under 15# base but I'm adding a warmer sleeping bag, heavier thermal layers and. I'm back up around 16-17#'s again. Really its fine. I'll see you on the trail.

Images

Nobody is going to mention the amount of cash he's taking?

Dude $1000 will get you maybe a little better than halfway.
    And I'm being generous with that time frame.

It used to be $1 a mile 10 years ago.

Well, good luck and hope you make it all the way.....you're gonna have to be very very frugal.

See ya at the Nashville Dinner.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

i egree good luck

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++