WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default What are your plans for the latest Storm?

I was wondering what most folks plans are for the latest storm. I know some of you are still digging out from the last one. Give it up it will melt in the next month or so.

Hank has been house bound way too long and so as I stood out on the porch a few moments ago the idea hit me wake up, pack up , head out! I figure het the train crossing at NY Rt 22 in the AM, it's a snow day so lets not get crazy 10 am, and head up to the Telephone Pioneer Shelter. Have a quick hot lunch and head back to the car. a quick 7 miles or so in the snow. This will also give me a chance to check my section and clear any downed limbs that have fallen since my last pass through there.

So what do the rest of you have planned? Or is it beer and old movies for the majority of you? I plan that for the afternoon? Trying to make a full day of it if i can.
    Often Accused, Often Guilty but Seldom Guilty of What I am Accused.

How do you know tomorrow will be a snowday? This is genuise! Around my parts they wait till the final minute to shut things down, like say 7:30 AM... All the kiddies and their parents are huddled around the kitchen radio, fingers crossed, just hoping for those magic words, "schools closed today"... The poor parents always have that deep seeded hope that they'll hear their office is closed, but that never happens... NEVER! Well thats not exactly true, Toronto once shut the city down and declared a state of emergency and requested the military come in and give them a hand... But the rest of Canada collectively laughed at them and promptly made Toronto the butt of many jokes..

Butt jeeze a preemptive cancelation! I love it...

Just got in from digging out the driveway. Lets see, later tonight supposed to be 40 mph winds with zero visibility. Sound like a snow day for the kids tomorrow.

I will be busy digging out tomorrow too.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DAJA View Post
    How do you know tomorrow will be a snowday? This is genuise! Around my parts they wait till the final minute to shut things down, like say 7:30 AM... All the kiddies and their parents are huddled around the kitchen radio, fingers crossed, just hoping for those magic words, "schools closed today"... The poor parents always have that deep seeded hope that they'll hear their office is closed, but that never happens... NEVER! Well thats not exactly true, Toronto once shut the city down and declared a state of emergency and requested the military come in and give them a hand... But the rest of Canada collectively laughed at them and promptly made Toronto the butt of many jokes..

Butt jeeze a preemptive cancelation! I love it...
    lets see Canada and a Joke? Just kidding my In-laws might as well ne canadian they live in Lockport NY!

We haven't had many snow days this year so they have them figured into the budget of days off if there is a good reason they pull the trigger. Saw one of the school Admin people at the store this afternoon and she said bank on it so that is a good enough reason for me. Even if the don't I have the flexibility to do what /i want when the weather is like this that I'll go out even if the kid is stuck on the bus! I know I suck he tell me this all the time.

Images

I just heard that Boston is closing schools for tomorrow. Better safe than even worse traffic, I guess. I'm still disappointed that the 50+ inches of snow my friends in DC and Philly got have missed southern NH!

Even if we get a lot of snow tomorrow, I'm going to go into work. It's just
    a mile or so away. If we got too much, and I couldn't dig the car out, I woulk just walk!

Lee

Baltimore called school for the rest of the week. Cowards.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

The local weather station said that the storm is going to pass to the south of us. Enjoy...it's my fault. I bout a new snow blower with a 30" auger. We haven't had any snow worth mentioning since I bought the snow blower.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000 View Post
    Baltimore called school for the rest of the week. Cowards.
    The average intelligence for Baltimore grads just dropped by 10 points for the next 4 years.

Fed workers in DC have another day off on Wednesday so they can shovel snow at their homes.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    The local weather station said that the storm is going to pass to the south of us. Enjoy...it's my fault. I bout a new snow blower with a 30" auger. We haven't had any snow worth mentioning since I bought the snow blower.
    that's because you bought it. If you had looked at it but put it off till next year you would have gotten all the snow.

Images

Just got back from work and I intend to report tomorrow, but then we're not afraid of a little bit of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    Yep, that will do it. Maybe you can load it up in the truck and sell it at a premium down in Philly

Looks like a good weekend to go to Gray Knob - mild temps for this time of year, no storms and hard packed/icy snow all the way up, so can give the crampons a work out. Might even try to summit Adams - haven't done that in a long time.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Pre-emptive snow days happen all the time down south here. The DOT simply does not have the snow removal equipment available to the northerners for obvious reasons.

Images

We're now in Blizzard Warning mode - possible wind gusts to 50+ mph while snowing heavily. It's pretty much a white out now around our house. School kids are going be in class in July at this rate.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Images

we are geting the first flakes over here in norteast ct as i write this. we are forecast to have anywhere between 8 and maybe 15 inches depending how the storm sets up..my plans for the day are to sit around for most of it then venture out for a late afternoon walk thru the height of the storm....im hoping we get walloped with the higher amounts of snow!!

what storm?

I made a run to the grocery store yesterday and the roads around here are still a mess from the last storm. I don't expect I'll be going in to work at all this week. Too many idiots in SUV's who think they can drive in any conditions.

Well I finally got to compiling the volunteer work hours on the trail for 2009, next up is taxes...

I think we all need a little spring today!

I'm sending you some Spring!!!!

Click on the snowman. You will get a black page.
    Click your mouse anywhere (& everywhere) on the page & see what happens!
    Better yet, click (hold down) & drag your mouse over the black page... or do as I did and just click away...
    Enjoy!!

“Only two things are infinite; The universe and human stupidity,
    And I’m starting to wonder about the universe.”
    Albert Einstein

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    Too many idiots in SUV's who think they can drive
    faster than they should
    in any conditions.
    It is amusing how pickup with plows attached poke along around here in poor conditions. Then the Volvo goes blazing by.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++