WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Outfitters for Sale

Anyone hear of any outfitters along the AT that are for sale? Thanks for your help!

If you want to start one, I recommend Duncannon.

I'd love to just live nearby and build a second cabin. But heck making a living...Never dreamed that high.

I remember a farm house in virginia-brick. Vacant by some cow fields and a road crossing. That was a temptation-And I was not alone in thinking that-many talked of it.

Images

Is that the place that had a long driveway and a couple of outbuildings and the trail passed right behind it?
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Images

I'd love to start up an outfitter near the trail also, but I can't get a bank to even think about lending me the money right now.
    Lemni Skate away

The trail will save my life

Hike smarter, not harder.

Pick a gap between outfitters, start up.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

AT 11,000 Miler
    Images

Anyone hear of any outfitters along the AT that are for sale?
    I am sure all of them are for sale for the right price.

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    Pick a gap between outfitters, start up.

I know exactly where one is needed, but I'm curious about current ones for sale.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The_Saint View Post
    I know exactly where one is needed,
    well... don't leave us hanging... where?
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

Images

Now a days people like one stop shopping so if you could do an outfitter connected to a Waffle House that would be great.
    Often Accused, Often Guilty but Seldom Guilty of What I am Accused.

Images

Several outfitters I have talked with tell me they could not survive on a "hiker only" store. One had a large kayak, canoe department. Another really made their money on clothing for skiers.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Several outfitters I have talked with tell me they could not survive on a "hiker only" store. One had a large kayak, canoe department. Another really made their money on clothing for skiers.
    Hence the Waffle House.

Here is an outfitter that seems to be making a go of it in a pretty small PA town - Paintbrush and Blue Heron GAME '02 opened it four years ago. Duncannon would have not only cheaper rent but also in a 500K+ metro where the old outfitter is imploding. The canoe outfitter in nearby Marysville seems to do well on evening/weekend trade from the metro, but offers little to the hiker besides maps and canisters. Which still makes it more useful than the fly fishing outfitter in much pricier Boiling Springs.

As a business plan, one could buy an outfitter but then one would be paying a premium over the inventory and the lease - one wonders if that would be worth anything this side of Neels Gap.

Images

I sold advertising for a while but I'll let you have this one for free. You could run a special called Wigwam and Waffles. For ever pair of Wigwam socks you get a free Waffle.

I agree the idea of buying someone else's store will cost you a premium if it's successful or you are buying something that is broken and you now need to fix.

As has also been stated in the thread you will have to do more than just hiking gear if you are anywhere in the northern half of the trail the down season for most hikers is too long. If you can find a location that has good climbing nearby or ski areas or water or all of the above then you would have a chance other wise it could be pretty slim. If you can find a big enough building with residential space overtop then you could also combine a hostel into it as well more of a pull.

Sasquatch, you're making me hungry. First you were fixated on bacon; now it's waffles!
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

The Saint - I don't suppose you would mind telling us exactly why you want to know, would you?
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Old Grouse View Post
    Sasquatch, you're making me hungry. First you were fixated on bacon; now it's waffles!
    I wonder if you could make a Waffle with a bacon center?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch2014 View Post
    I wonder if you could make a Waffle with a bacon center?

I'd eat that.

For sure.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
    Here is an outfitter that seems to be making a go of it in a pretty small PA town - Paintbrush and Blue Heron GAME '02 opened it four years ago. Duncannon would have not only cheaper rent but also in a 500K+ metro where the old outfitter is imploding. The canoe outfitter in nearby Marysville seems to do well on evening/weekend trade from the metro, but offers little to the hiker besides maps and canisters. Which still makes it more useful than the fly fishing outfitter in much pricier Boiling Springs.

As a business plan, one could buy an outfitter but then one would be paying a premium over the inventory and the lease - one wonders if that would be worth anything this side of Neels Gap.
    Asaph huh? I used to stay at the Asaph Camping Area outside Wellsboro back in the 80's and 90's when heading to WRT for some backpacking. I miss that area. Are they taking any business away from Chuck Dillon over at Pine creek Outfitters? Though I reckon probabyl not as much as an effect though as he really sold the float trips and trail guides ...
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++