WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Paleo Diet

Default Paleo Diet

I met a guy in GSMNP this fall who shared his latest nutrition/hiking menu with our group...basically it is called the "Paleo diet".. when you understand it, it really makes the whole issue of trail food much easier to deal with

"Paleo man" was so easy even a caveman could do it... the Paleo-diet was high in protein (wild game), nuts, berries, roots, whatever Paleo-man could kill or gather while out in the wild. Paleo man was fit, lean and mean. He had to run, jump, leap high and be fast and quick to survive the paleo world.... he did not suffer from high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity, and other modern man diseases, which occurred later as man moved into villages and cities, growing crops on farms, where diseases and plagues appeared.

I told this guy that modern man could easily simulate the "Paleo-diet" in our modern society by leaping up onto the McDonalds counter as he eats his Big-Mac.

the Paleo-diet lends itself well to trail food and if followed, by the end of your thru hike you will be lean and mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Praha4 View Post
    I met a guy in GSMNP this fall who shared his latest nutrition/hiking menu with our group...basically it is called the "Paleo diet".. when you understand it, it really makes the whole issue of trail food much easier to deal with

"Paleo man" was so easy even a caveman could do it... the Paleo-diet was high in protein (wild game), nuts, berries, roots, whatever Paleo-man could kill or gather while out in the wild. Paleo man was fit, lean and mean. He had to run, jump, leap high and be fast and quick to survive the paleo world.... he did not suffer from high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity, and other modern man diseases, which occurred later as man moved into villages and cities, growing crops on farms, where diseases and plagues appeared.

I told this guy that modern man could easily simulate the "Paleo-diet" in our modern society by leaping up onto the McDonalds counter as he eats his Big-Mac.

the Paleo-diet lends itself well to trail food and if followed, by the end of your thru hike you will be lean and mean.
    Just how do you propose SPECIFICALLY for a thru hiker to subsist on lean meat and veggies? I already have a pretty good idea how to do it, but I'd really like for you to share yours.

"...he did not suffer from high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity, and other modern man diseases"
    Neither did I, until I got to be older than the typical lifespan of paleo-man ... :-)
    Well, I don't have diabetes, but the others unfortunately, yes.
    I do have a paleoman type of plan to deal with the obesity, anyway, which I'll start working on northwards from Amicola state park 16 days from now.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Praha4 View Post

Some research says that this is achieved, along with reduced cancer risk, by starving yourself mildly.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianLe View Post
    Neither did I, until I got to be older than the typical lifespan of paleo-man ... :-)
    Well, I don't have diabetes, but the others unfortunately, yes.
    I do have a paleoman type of plan to deal with the obesity, anyway, which I'll start working on northwards from Amicola state park 16 days from now.
    And just how old did paleo-man live to be? I really don't think you or anyone else has even the slightest clue.

Anyway, a "paleo-plan" is a hell of a lot different than eating ramen and going for a short walk. I don't agree with everything this guy says, but his results are hard to argue with:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/

Had you rather look like him or the average chubby whiteblazer?

"And just how old did paleo-man live to be? I really don't think you or anyone else has even the slightest clue."
    One source I quickly found that at least seems to know what it's talking about says:
    " Paleolithic skeletons indicated a life expectancy of 35.4 years for men and 30.0 years for women, which includes a high rate of infant mortality. This is consistent with data from the Inuit that I posted a while back (life expectancy excluding infant mortality = 43.5 years). "

One source I quickly found that at least seems to know what it's talking about says:
    " Paleolithic skeletons indicated a life expectancy of 35.4 years for men and 30.0 years for women, which includes a high rate of infant mortality. This is consistent with data from the Inuit that I posted a while back (life expectancy excluding infant mortality = 43.5 years). "

ESPN..The magazine

Yeah Buddy! Them there anthropological types have never been known to just make shiite up:

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/c...own_man/6.html

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/HP_ADM%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG]

New York Times had amusing story on this phenomenon last month.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/10/fa...%20diet&st=cse

Quote Originally Posted by take-a-knee View Post
    Just how do you propose SPECIFICALLY for a thru hiker to subsist on lean meat and veggies? I already have a pretty good idea how to do it, but I'd really like for you to share yours.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywBwUiq5v4o

The vegetables aren't at all necessary
    http://www.dirtycarnivore.com/diet.html

The conclusions about overall health in the articles are kinda interesting.

The article in the NY times, was funny and kind of sad.

While I don't subscribe to the mantras of the neolithic diet faddists, and thus avoid the need for meat lockers and sudden intense workouts to simulate being chased by something hungrier and toothier than I, I have eaten a lower carb, higher veg & protein diet for the last two years.

My version of the neolithic diet controls my blood sugar (I'm a Type II diabetic), has dropped my cholesterol, and improved my HDL/LDL levels quite a bit.

Oh, and sustained walking (i.e. hiking) every day probably simulates the usual neolithic hunter gatherer's day more realistically than these weird workouts.....

“I didn’t want to do some faddish diet that my sister would do,” Mr. Durant said.

Soooo you're doing some faddish diet that you're sister wouldn't do?

I think that the so-called paleos should emulate their ancestors by not going on TV, not selling books, and not running seminars or charging people to train them.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Images

Problem is that paleo man would have suffered cyclical periods of starvation and famine.

I am on the Geico diet, it so easy even a caveman can do it.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

I'm just a caveman internet browser. Your world and ways are strange to me. I don't know much about these things you call dieting, or protiens, or omegas,

... but I do know this. Any food that comes more directly from the ground, or off a tree or bush, or that is more recently killed and prepared, preferably by my own hands, is better than the vast majority of stuff I see in your modern world of food factories, supermarkets, and fast food places.

Where I am from, we shoot fast food with faster spear.
    Your fast food make you slow. Real fast food make you fast.

... did I forget to mention that I was frozen in the ice. Sorry.

Images

High rate of infant mortality.

That is the key phrase in the statistics. Scientists actually believe that "paleo-man" could live to old age as long as he made it past 2 or 3. And that's without our amazing medical technology that just solves the problems we slowly created for ourselves over the long years of human development.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaTouron View Post
    I am on the Geico diet, it so easy even a caveman can do it.
    Yep ..Gecko is good... taste like Armadillo
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Sounds like the Bear's dieet.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dubs View Post
    Eating only meat and fat can invoke an elevated cortisol release in some people (so will continual fasting), you'll get "pie-faced", and you'll get fat. I've read people who follow come of Dr Cordain's prescriptions (Robb Wolf), but they do Paleo-Zone. You body will function better with some high-nutrient complex carbs.

A smarter approach would be to vacuum pack some meals combined of Harmony House dried vegetables and dehydrated ground chuck (or venison if you could get it). Make it "zone" (30/30/40, carbs, protein, fat) You can add olive oil for the fat. A portion of your fat intake being saturated isn't a big deal, IMO. Consuming ALL of your fat in the saturated form is brain dead.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++