WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hennessey as a bivy sack

Anyone tried this. I have seen a few pics but no in-depth how to, how was it type report.

Havent tried this yet, but I'm planning on using my hennessy when I can't setup in the trees. I have a big roll of Drop-Cloth material I planned on cutting a decent ground-cloth out of just to give my underside some moisture protection.

Hrm, can't seem to edit the above post... I pressed reply to soon.

I meant to add that I'll be testing this method out once things warm up a bit. If you want to get the mesh up above you a little bit you will need a pair of sticks or trekking poles, and a pair of stakes to string up the ridge-line. I'm sure this modification is made much easier with a side-zipper entry modification like 2Q/ZQ offers.

For far more Hammock information check out http://www.hammockforums.net/
    "Today I have grown taller from walking with the trees." Karle Wilson Baker

Images

I'v used my hennesy as a bivy twice. Once in cold weather, the other when I arrived to find I accidentally packed a MLD Patrol shelter instead of my MacCat tarp. It was going to rain so I needed a tarp. I tied the hennesy between two trees, turned it upside down, and used the bottom slit for my head. Worked fine as a bivy both times.
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

I do not think the bottom of my Hennessey UL BP asym is water proof or water resistant. Hold it to the light and you can see through it. Would work as a bug bivy. The stock tarp is small would not make a foolproof ground tarp in the rain.
    "Today I have grown taller from walking with the trees." Karle Wilson Baker

Section Hiker Shot Gun from GA to NH Deerleg's Avatar
    Images

Surprised by a cold windy snowy stretch around Hot Springs a few years ago in mid March. My son and I both used them and they worked fine inside a shelter. Used a silver windshield shade as a secondary pad back then and put it inside the hammock and on top of my 30 degree bag and stayed toasty warm all night in windy low 20 degree conditions.
    Kevin

Images

We used them inside the Low Gap shelter once when the whole place was infested with honeybees (got stung numerous times.) Why we stayed in the shelter is another story, but the Hennessy Hammocks worked fine as bug proof bivies that night.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

++ New Posts ++