WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Mosquito "Death Ray" Created

Scientists at Myhrvold’s Intellectual Ventures Laboratory recently developed a new way to kill pesky mosquitoes. They demonstrate how a green laser can be used to kill the bugs in mid-flight.

There's even videos of a shoot down sequence. Wow, and all this time I've just been swatting them with my hands.

Lock and load gentlemen........

Mosquito Death Laser

Images

"Laser" comments make me think of Austin Powers. Thanks! Now I have that stuck in my head!

Science: proving that lasers always make things more awesome.

Always.
    Credendo Vides

Images

Myhrvold's Intellectual Ventures is what's called a Patent Troll. The company buys patents so they can lock up intellectual property. From their point of view, the ideal situation is when nothing can be done without using one of their patents.

They own one of my patents (sold by my University, not me). I wonder if their using it on this invention.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowleopard View Post
    Myhrvold's Intellectual Ventures is what's called a Patent Troll. The company buys patents so they can lock up intellectual property. From their point of view, the ideal situation is when nothing can be done without using one of their patents.

They own one of my patents (sold by my University, not me). I wonder if their using it on this invention.

Amazing.......

Images

Let me know when they have an anti-cat driveway model.

First off if you watch the video you will realize it is not real. And that this thread should be in humor.

As for Myhrovold's business model. SmallInventor invents something and patents it. Megacompany infringes on Smallinventors patent refusing to pay royalities knowing that the Smallinventor does not have the resources to sue megacompany. Smallinventor sells his patent to Myhrovold who then takes the risk and expense of forcing megacompany to pay royalities it should have been paying all along.
    Love people and use things; never the reverse.

Mt. Katahdin would be a lot quicker to climb if its darn access trail didn't start all the way down in Georgia.

Registered User DrRichardCranium's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Can I get one of these lasers & attach it to my hat?
    "Katahdin barada nikto."

Quote Originally Posted by DrRichardCranium View Post
    Can I get one of these lasers & attach it to my hat?
    They're not hat-capable yet, but there is a stilt-friendly model.

ha.. that really makes me wanna go to university and be innovative

Hm. Very weird. The simulations show the system deployed in a room occupied by innocent (?) people while the zapper zaps all around them. Double plus uncool.

Actually, I heard about a system to zap mosquitoes, but the idea was to find out the minimum power necessary to incapacitate a mosquito. As in fry its antennae, rather than poof you're gone. All in all, I suspect this is someone's attempt to monetize some Star Wars technology. A rather poor attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by JustaTouron View Post
    First off if you watch the video you will realize it is not real. And that this thread should be in humor.

You watched the parody spoof. Click the link in the narrative of the article.

Don't have time for that. The parody is much more interesting, I suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    Let me know when they have an anti-cat driveway model.
    Please use anti-cat device before
    REMOTE STARTER!
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

++ New Posts ++