WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: logbooks?

Images

Default logbooks?

From my few section hikes, I've noted very little info of value in the shelter logbooks. On my last hike, this past July, I never looked at one. I can see a thru hiker maybe gleaning some info about a trail friend that's a short ways ahead of them. But with email, online journals, cell phones, and you name it... are the shelter registers found to be useful any more? Personally, I saw a lot of garbage written in them, which is in part what turned me off even looking at one.

Just bored and thinking too much, as usual. 21 days until I ride the midnight train to GA!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cross View Post
    From my few section hikes, I've noted very little info of value in the shelter logbooks. On my last hike, this past July, I never looked at one. I can see a thru hiker maybe gleaning some info about a trail friend that's a short ways ahead of them. But with email, online journals, cell phones, and you name it... are the shelter registers found to be useful any more? Personally, I saw a lot of garbage written in them, which is in part what turned me off even looking at one.

Just bored and thinking too much, as usual. 21 days until I ride the midnight train to GA!
    they're just for gossip and people who think they're witty writers. they serve no purpose

Registered User Bama Jack & Sadie's Avatar
    Images

As someone who section hiked solo, I found it interesting to read some of the actual log book entries of people I followed on TJ and WB in my preparation. Some of the mundane writings/ramblings were amusing read when kicking back for a break. (my dog is not the best conversationalist) It's sort of like the morning newspaper. I read that everyday and most of that is crap but I still get enjoyment from it. If you don't like them ignore them, no big deal.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Mostly crap, but sometimes there's good information, like current status of water supplies

Images

Mostly for entertainment.

The Hannah Montana entries this year were more than entertaining !!!! Stewball outdid himself as he proceeded north.

Just there to perpetuate the sub-culture.

I checked one log in Maine and it keep me from swimming in a stream that had leaches in it.Thank goodness the girls the night before were kind enough to write it down and I happened to stop and check the journal. They do help if someone needs to find you in an emergency. Your progress can be tracked and easier to be spoted

Images

They sometimes let you know of a resident snake at the shelter. Or lots of bear activity in the area. The water info is also good. But its kinda like forum sites. You have to keep reading to find the info you want.

Images

I thought as you do, at least till a few years ago: the feds took all the Smokies registers "trying to find Erick Rudolph" so no shelter logs for nearly a week.
    No info on who was where, no water situation updates, etc.
    I still don't read them very often, but when they are not available it is noticeable. I have also been to areas where the log hasn't been updated (Ie a new book put in) for a year or more & reading the last entry from 5 months ago with no room to add anything, was a hindrance.

I now (& forever) do not stay in shelters, so actually depend on the notes in the trail-side registers like in Grayson Highlands as being much more informative & useful. Most of them are written in a hurry so only important info is put in them: "08/08/08 10:45. I hear water is short the next few miles, I'm going to XYZ shelter for lunch, then play it by ear from there. Trail hugger"

So, IMHO: some sort of log is important, but I also wish there wasn't so much "Poetry" & long winded rants & raves that only serve to hide the important stuff, like: "A SOBO hiker told me the next shelter north has been burned down, & the Grocery at Low gap is now closed." or similar. The shelter buring down doesn't affect me, but the grocery being closed would.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Images

There was also alot of people taking the logs for Earl's signature. After hearing of this he quit signing the logs. I don't know if he kept to that on the whole trail.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dmax View Post
    There was also alot of people taking the logs for Earl's signature. After hearing of this he quit signing the logs. I don't know if he kept to that on the whole trail.
    I believe that happened in 2005
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Quote Originally Posted by lilred View Post
    i believe that happened in 2005

the registers can help the maintaineers with blowdowns and trail related problems
    and on one of my hikes the registers helped the rangers locate a hiker to let him know his brother had been killed back home. the registers can help find lost hikers too. i seldom write in them or read them but they can be useful and fun i suppose

I try to apply the Six Sentences Blog concept to shelter registers.

What can you say in only six sentences?

dmax-"There was also alot of people taking the logs for Earl's signature. After hearing of this he quit signing the logs. I don't know if he kept to that on the whole trail."
    I had left registers at Blue Mountain (GA) and William Penn (PA) shelters, both were returned to me at the end of the '98 season. Earl had signed the Blue Mountain register on 5/6/98 and the William Penn register on 7/27/98 so he may have signed registers for at least half the trail.

Images

In addition to the aforementioned, shelter registers could possibly be of benefit for search & rescue if a hiker goes missing.

Most importantly, if someone writes self serving nonsense in a shelter register, perhaps they risk the temptation to write the same nonsense on the shelter itself, causing years of hikers to be exposed to their drivel.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Fhart View Post
    I had left registers at Blue Mountain (GA) and William Penn (PA) shelters, both were returned to me at the end of the '98 season. Earl had signed the Blue Mountain register on 5/6/98 and the William Penn register on 7/27/98 so he may have signed registers for at least half the trail.
    I'm glad to hear that he went back to signing the registers. I know in Georgia, this is where it started happenening. He told me he was going to stop so people would quit taking them. Then he signed everybodys book who had one....I don't know if he signed any in NC/TN. [I hope he did]

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    I try to apply the Six Sentences Blog concept to shelter registers.

What can you say in only six sentences?
    a lot. i'm the king of pithiness

I've got one that was signed by both LW and WF.

I don't know if they were hiking partners or not.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    a lot. i'm the king of pithiness
    Really please tell me more. Can you expound on this a bit?
    Often Accused, Often Guilty but Seldom Guilty of What I am Accused.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++