WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Prepping for cold....

All,
    I have section hiked several portions of the A.T. and am now planning on starting a month long excursion starting in Georgia in late March or early April. My past experiences have only been during peak summer months so I am hoping to get some info on what kind of temps to expect and how to plan differently for them. Especially what to wear and if I need a new sleeping bag! Thanks for the help.

-Darkness-

Images

It'd help if you stated what bag you have, or its ratings, and how well it works for you.

It's a really cheap mummy that's rated at 40. Works great in the heat but not sure if I trust it with temps close to or below 40.

you expect to see temps lower than 40 degrees in Ga. at that time, especially at elevation.I would be prepared for nighttime lows in the teens.. Might not happen but plan for the worst and hope for the best. It's easier to cool off if your warm than vice versa. I have hunted the mountains in Tennessee during the spring with temps at sunup in the teens and seen snow in Ga. in April as well.

You certainly need a new bag, perhaps a good 20 degree bag, with silk (or merino) long underwear at night. I would also recommend good rain gear, and light weight gloves. Hiking during the day is not an issue (usually) but the nights can be very cold. Be ready!

Images

I hate gloves. I've never found a pair that kept my hands warm. My $30 convertible gloves, both the woven wool or fleece, keep my hands very comfortable in temps to the high 20's....possibly lower, but I've only been in the low-20's when sleeping.

If temps are really in the teens, I recommend covering at least part of your body with a vapor barrier while sleeping. Bread bags over your feet are an easy place to start. This will help extend the range of your bag, will help it retain its rating over a cold stretch, and can be used for creek fords.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by murphy_sj View Post
    It's a really cheap mummy that's rated at 40. Works great in the heat but not sure if I trust it with temps close to or below 40.
    It will definitely be below 40 at night in March and April on the AT, especially if you are out for a month. Plan for lows in the 20s, and be prepared for much colder than that. Single digit lows are not out of the question in the Southern Appalachians even in April.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by murphy_sj View Post
    All,
    I have section hiked several portions of the A.T. and am now planning on starting a month long excursion starting in Georgia in late March or early April. My past experiences have only been during peak summer months so I am hoping to get some info on what kind of temps to expect and how to plan differently for them. Especially what to wear and if I need a new sleeping bag! Thanks for the help.

-Darkness-
    Here's an idea, Murphy. Take your bag and a warm jacket and fleece pants, a knit hat, warm socks, and a pair of fleece pants and wear them in your bag in the back yard on a night when the temps. are below 20 degrees (are you still in Dayton?). You shouldn't have any trouble figuring out what your bag is good to. Just wear your warmest clothes in it and figure how much weight it would take to keep you warm at night. If it's too much (weight or bulk), you should start shopping for another bag.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

a good 15 degree bag check out marmot -midweight wool or capilene baselayers/ lightweight patagonia down jacket/ fleece/wool hat/wool socks/rain jacket and pants/windproof mittens/lightweight wind jacket/hiking zip off pants/ LS zip neck hiking shirt/baseball cap/ this is what I carried march and early april can still be cold and nasty in georgia

Garlic
    Images

Definitely gear up now with a good 15 or 20F bag (down if you can afford it) and a good sleeping pad and try it out on a local car camping trip or in your back yard. If you have to camp on snow use two pads. My first winter camps were cautious affairs near the car with a thermos of hot water nearby. Definitely prepare for overnight temps in the teens.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

thanks everyone, looks like I will definitely have to cough up some dough for new gear. Good luck on your hikes,

SJM

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

It is dough well spent, Murphy SJ, if you get quality gear. It will serve you for decades whenever you have to winter up. Also, be sure to have warm, dry head-to-toe clothing to put on for the night. IOW, you can have a 0* bag and darn near freeze if you have to sleep in damp clothing. Also, keep some chocolate handy. It surely helps if you find yourself shivering.--Kinnickinic
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Default Sleeping Bag

Southern Appalachians, March/April, be prepared for ANYTHING weather wise. I like and use a 20/30 degree down bag. 30 degree would be a good investment you can always unzip from the top or bottom to cool-off but it's hard to get warm in a lousy bag. Lightweight long underwear (I sleep in coolmax boxers but I don't get cold very easy), and a wool hat/gloves if it turns really cold, and a full length light ground pad (use your empty pack and rain gear for extra insulation if your still cold. Pack your bag in a heavy duty trash liner bag don't compress it any more than you need to.

Have fun and keep an eye on weather patterns.
    Rick

Default Sleeping Bag

Just a thought, there are tons of web sites with great deals on gear plus freeshipping. Rockcreek.com, campsaver.com, travelcountry.com, altrec.com. All of these companies have fairly low prices on gear. I use a Golite 20 degree quilt an old Sierra Design Cats Meow, and a Marmot Sawtooth? All great bags!
    Rick

To that above list, add spadout.com, steepandcheap.com, sierratradingpost.com, and rei.com/outlet

Also check the gear deals forum on backpackinglight.com
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

I have seen the Marmot pinnacle on sale a fair amount. Not the lightest bag, but very warm and good value. Open the checkbook, get a great bag, Marmot, Feathered friends, Montbell, Mountain Hardware, Western M,. 800 fill. Last bag you will ever own, if you take care of it. Hot is good at night.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Need a good 20 degree bag.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I'd go with a 0F bag in March/April and here's why:
    ** Most bags are wrong with their ratings and are off about 15 degrees, so a 15F bag will be good to around freezing and a zero to around 15F.
    ** Down bags(are we talking about down?)are never as dry and as lofted as when you look at them in a store or at home. On a long winter trip they will lose a few inches of loft right off the bat, about the 2nd or 3rd day, just due to air moisture and in-shelter condensation.

** Finally, important consideration must be placed on what you sleep on. Whatever pad or pad combos you use, they should be around 6R minimum(NeoAir is 2.5R, Prolite Plus is 3.8R, two Ridgerests is around 5R).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    ** Down bags(are we talking about down?)are never as dry and as lofted as when you look at them in a store or at home. On a long winter trip they will lose a few inches of loft right off the bat, about the 2nd or 3rd day, just due to air moisture and in-shelter condensation.
    And this gets much worse late into the night for bivy users. At least this has been my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by WILLIAM HAYES View Post
    a good 15 degree bag check out marmot -midweight wool or capilene baselayers/ lightweight patagonia down jacket/ fleece/wool hat/wool socks/rain jacket and pants/windproof mittens/lightweight wind jacket/hiking zip off pants/ LS zip neck hiking shirt/baseball cap/ this is what I carried march and early april can still be cold and nasty in georgia
    couldn't the rain jacket double as the light weight wind jacket? Also are you saying a down jacket and a fleece or one or the other?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++