WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Proper way to hitch a ride

I've been doing it wrong:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBRiCXfjrrw&NR=1

It's from a pretty sweet video, if you haven't seen it this guy tries walk from Beijing to Germany and does a time lapse of his beard growth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ky6v...eature=related

Don't know why it won't embed, maybe this will work?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBRiCXfjrrw&NR=1

Images

That's ok, clicking the link still works. (Kinda old fashioned, but hey.)

Great video. I need to try that the next time I hitch.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

GA-ME 2011
    Images

How about some real tips on hitching. I've never had much luck at it.

As I place my thumb out, I normal get told that I'm number one by drivers. The seem so proud to raise that center finger high in the air.

Wolf

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    Never hurts to have good looking female companion.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    I'm sure appearing to be a couple is comforting to potential rides, because it's less likely that you're some crazy ax-murdering bum.

Maybe we should start a thread in the general forum, as this is something I'm also not a pro at.

I have thought about bringing a lightweight sheet of dry-erase board to make a sign and write "hiker needs ride to town" on it or something. The fact that it is whiteboard instead of cardboard would make it look less bum-ish, and clarifying that you're a hiker and not a bum might also help. Have yet to try it.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    ha That doesn't always work...

But ladies, DO not hitch alone!! If you can, look for day hikers at a parking lot or visitors that can give you a ride.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXz-HCcDUHY

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    ha That doesn't always work...

>>yeah- well it never hurts either...

But ladies, DO not hitch alone!! If you can, look for day hikers at a parking lot or visitors that can give you a ride.
    GREAT advice!

ha ha ha Might as well have fun if you're hitching! If that guy gets a ride while doing that it will probably be from a cop who takes him directly to the mental ward. If someone, non-law enforcement, picks him up while dancing around like that the driver has to be crazier than him or has a real good sense of suspicious adventure and humor.

Ok, you asked for it. I'll give some hitching tips:
    1) Very first rule, go with your gut instincts about prospective drivers. Make eye contact. Doesn't feel right, no matter how tired you are, how long you've been waiting, or where you think you have to be, wait for something better. When I usually hitch it's when I've been hiking so I'm prepared to sleep out and wait for a good ride if necessary. And, I try to have a good attitude about it. If an emergency is involved flag people down.
    2)Hitching is partly about patience w/ a smile(good attitude). NO BODY OWES YOU A RIDE!
    3)Try to hitch in a place that makes it easy for drivers to safely pull over, like where there is a wide shoulder, just before/after a turnout, scenic overlook, rest stop, etc.
    4)Try to hitch where there is a good flow of traffic like at intersections, exit/on ramps, and where drivers naturally slow down or accelerate like near gas stations, grocery stores, truck stops, convenient stores, rest stops, on uphills, etc.
    5)Be sociable. Break the ice. CONNECT w/ prospective rides. Show prospective rides you are human if you can - you have not just escaped from the mental ward or prison or just got out of prison or are a serial killer. Don't be afraid to politely ask folks. Share your trip - what you are doing - I'm hiking the Appalacian Trail from Georgia to Maine. I started on Apr ? I've been hiking for ??? days, wks, months. I need to get into town to pick up resupplies, my resupply box, and get back to the trail. If you are going my way(it's best to know already that the folks you are saying this to are going your way) I'm was wondering if I could get a ride into town to pick up my resupplies? When you can talk honestly with some self confidence to people to get rides(and you're not a weirdo)and let folks know you would appreciate a ride it makes it harder for prospective rides to say NO! It's harder for prospective rides to verbalize a "NO" to your face when you've done this than than being a nameless voiceless unknow thumb/face on the side of the road while they are zoomimg along at 60 mph inside a vehicle. Close to half my rides don't involve me having to stick out my thumb!

6) Make eye contact. Take off your sun glasses. Eyes are the window to the soul. What are you projecting through your eyes? Sure, you might look like a tired dirty desperate hiker who is seeking a ride, but that's all you are. See, that's all I am. Less unknowns/fears for prospective rides to consider!
    7)Rarely, do I have success getting a ride at night by sticking my thumb out while on the side of the road. It also raises your risks because as the saying goes, "the creeps come out at night." Avoid hitching at night by simply sticking your thumb out whenever you can, IMO. If the next morning is a weekday you are probably more likely to get a ride during morning rush hr traffic, probably safer too. If it's a weekend morning position yourself where a good flow of traffic exists on a weekend day, like near or at roads going into out of State, National, and some County Parks.

8)On the AT, especially in the south, never underestimate the back of an empty pick-up truck. I would guess 1/3 of all my rides on the AT in the south were from PUs. Good news is, if you are hitching near the AT or Long Tr. with a backpack someone is going to pass by and understand your situation and eventually someone will give you a ride. Hint: Stay in contact w/ your gear!, Never throw your pack into a car or back of a PU without you being in it first!
    9)BELIEVE!

10) Have fun. Hitching can be an enjoyable part of the overall journey - a mini journey so to speak! You'll meet lots of INTERESTING people. Most people are good natured and want to help but never forget #1)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jombo22 View Post
    I have thought about bringing a lightweight sheet of dry-erase board to make a sign and write "hiker needs ride to town" on it or something.
    I was thinking about putting something on my foam sleeping pad.

Some hikers make a sign and use it successfully. One side - Hiker into town. Other side - Hiker back to trail. Some print these phrases on a piece of cardboard or something like a sitting pad. Some bandanas with a hiking theme have these words printed on them. Just about every yr. the PCT puts out a new bandana. They were given out free(with lots of other neat and helpful stuff) to perspective PCT thru-hikers in 2008 at the PCT kickoff(ADZKO) with these phrases.

The proper way to use a female to get a ride is this: male(s) hide in bushes/trees along side of road. Female stands with thumb out. When car stops, males get in back seat while female talks with driver.

Some posters here are assuming that not all thru-hikers are a weirdo. I have never found this to be true! :}
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Images

I found that trying to look like the general population usually helps (Unless you are by a trailhead with a backpack, 12" beards don't cut it).
    Smile and make eye contact with drivers. the mugshot style "prison-look-vague-gaze-no-eye-contact" doesn't help to ignite a caring spark in a driver.
    don't be afraid to show your thumb. some just stand there looking hopeless. Get your thumb out and don't be shy.
    Look presentable. tuck your shirt in. remove sunglasses, put on shoes and socks, wash your face. put on some deodorant if you have trail grunge.
    If you have a cell phone, put it up to your ear as you hitch and talk animatedly- it can sometimes (not always) makes the situation look more desperate and urgent.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++