WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Hike from Springer to NOC

For an in-shape 29 year old guy, what kind of travel time do you think I'd be lookin at for this section? I plan on starting on the mountain, not at Amicalola...

I was thinking I could make it if I started 3/1 by end of day 3/11... is this unreasonable? If this should be easy...maybe make the extra 30mi to Fontana? (would be ecstatic if this would be possible)...

I'm not much one for making lots of stops, and I'll be hiking solo...I'm pretty business-like about my hiking LOL... and I'm a pretty lightweight packer, with water and food around 20lb pack...

Also, what kind of overnight temps should I prep for?

Thanks!

Its doable if you are all busness and don't get hurt. Temps at night could be single digits. Daytime temps could be in the 70s. Not likley 70s this tear but anything is posible.
    The trail is ever winding and the party moves every night.

When are you going?

All the answers will depend on the start date in rality due to weather conditions.

and the way this year is going, you will more then likely get late snow. Usually see at least a bit of it even if you start in late March.

oh, never mind...shoulda read it closer.

yeah, what he said...and you will get snowed on(75% chance--lol-) and it will be cold a lot.

Images

lol...lion king...

thanks for the input guys...

yeah, the weather in the south this year has been garbage...wondering if i'll need snowshoes? lol

single digits? just in the higher elevations?

i love winter camping...i'm generally a hot sleeper...but single digits might be a stretch considering i'll be using a hammock...hmmm

March 1st is less than two weeks away and right now it's 15 deg and windy. Today it got up to 28 deg. Next week, well I'll tell you next week.

Images

yeah...i suppose i'll just have to keep an eye on the weather...this winter has been aweful for my hiking and mtn biking

This time of year you should be ready to go go to the ground with your hammock.

Images

hmmm...thinking maybe the extra 3lbs to haul my tent instead would be worth the added warmth, hassle, and aching back...decisions decisions...i'm seriously jonesing for some of the AT after a long winter!

Your tent is heavier than your winter hammock set up.

Images

hennessey ultralight w/ super shelter...little under 4lb...i just have a basic heavy tent at about 6-7lb...

Personally, I'd give myself a few more than 10 days to do this, but as others have said, it could certainly be done.

As for getting from Springer to Fontana in 10 days, this would be VERY fast time and would almost certainly be more miles per day than you'll enjoy; it would also include very little time off.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Personally, I'd give myself a few more than 10 days to do this, but as others have said, it could certainly be done.

As for getting from Springer to Fontana in 10 days, this would be VERY fast time and would almost certainly be more miles per day than you'll enjoy; it would also include very little time off.
    good point on fontana...i highly doubt it would be possible...

well, i'd be leaving morning of 3/1...and have till late afternoon 3/11...so technically its about 11 days of hiking...about 12.25mi/ day...

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

A friend and I are hiking Springer to Neel Gap starting on Thursday, 11 March, both of us will be hammocking. Sleemping warm and comfy in those temps in a hammock will be doable if you're prepared. What are you using for topside and underside insulation? How about your tarp? Do you have a vapor barrier or a hammock sock?
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

Default Hike from Springer to NOC

If your hike is from "Springer to NOC" that is 133.8 miles. Springer to Fontana Dam is about 162.2 miles.

10 days to go 134 miles more or less, yes, unless you run into some real bad weather.

Have a couple of backup plans if you have to "bale out" for bad weather. two good ones might be at Highway 76 (AT mile 66) or Highway 64 (AT mile 106.6).

If the weather is OK and you have been making some high mileage days try for Fontana Dam. That is only an average of 16.4 miles a day.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    A friend and I are hiking Springer to Neel Gap starting on Thursday, 11 March, both of us will be hammocking. Sleemping warm and comfy in those temps in a hammock will be doable if you're prepared. What are you using for topside and underside insulation? How about your tarp? Do you have a vapor barrier or a hammock sock?

Right now, totally unprepared LOL!

I planned on getting the super-shelter from hennessey, which is a whole system.

http://www.hennessyhammock.com/specs...pad_small.html

Unfortunately due to the weather this winter, I've only been able to use my hammock once...it got down a bit below 30f... all i had was the hammock itself, a 0f synthetic sleeping bag, no pad, no undercover, just the regular rain fly... and I stayed warm enough, but could have been a bit warmer... a pad would have made a huge difference...

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Chances are that the Hennessy Super Shelter won't take you down to single digits. I use a Speer Snugfit Underquilt, Speer Top Quilt and a Speer Winter Tarp. The tarp has plenty of coverage, you can close the ends in to block wind, rain, snow, etc. Definitely research this over on Hammock Forums before you go out there and have to get off the trail because you can't sleep warm at night. Of course you can always go to ground, but who wants to do that?
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gardenville View Post

If the weather is OK and you have been making some high mileage days try for Fontana Dam. That is only an average of 16.4 miles a day.
    True true... it MIGHT be possible, and I'm going to try to plan for that possibility...if the weather its good enough..

Only reason I'd want to try for Fontana is because in the fall I hiked Fontana to Shuckstack, and I'd rather make the full connection from Springer so I dont have to make a second trip just to do the 30 or so miles...

Images

Well, since you really have 11 days to hike, that's just under 15 miles per day. Definitely doable, especially since you have the added motivation of finishing this section.

The weather could have a big impact, though. If it's real snowy or real muddy, that could slow you down. If it's really cold, it could be icy, especially in the higher elevations. When I was hiking a couple of weeks ago in Virginia, I wished I had gotten a pair of crampons for the steep and icy areas.

I think you should go for it. The important thing will be to remain flexible and adjust your plans should circumstances demand it.

Have a great hike!
    Formerly uhfox

Springer to Bear Mountain Inn, NY
    N Adams, MA to Clarendon VT
    Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

Images

good points...thanks for the input...

one good thing is i'm looking into getting the Hike Inn to shuttle me to Asheville, and making it to Fontana would probably keep the cost down some...

its hard for me to get a good gauge...most of my previous hiking was with my ex, who wasn't nearly in the shape i'm in... also, I've cut about 10lb off my pack weight.

i mean, i regularly do epic mountain bike rides lasting 5-6 hours in EXTREMELY rough terrain (sheltowee trace in london, ky)....so a 7-8 hour hike doesn't strike me as much more difficult...

gonna keep my options open and have a bailout plan...cant wait to see how it goes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++